E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #3081
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
yeah thats woobies car.
u would love that touring if u saw it in person.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #3082
latino1ny

My Ride: BSM 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
dude, it didnt go out because u made a U turn, it went out because debris got into it and fuctup the gear, thats how u kill a steering rack. its not the driving that did it.

so based on that its safe to say the car has never had the steering fluid flushed, OR mayeb a washer, or gasket broke of into the system and got into the rack and fuct it up.

makes me wonder if mine was ever done now.
Yeah, well now it will have a fluid flush, however this makes me question all of the rest of the maintenance. I'm starting to think about doing all maintenance possible, kinda like a Inspection 2, but thoroughly. Change all fluids, flush everything, check everything else. Might be expensive though.
'08 BSM E92 335i 6MT/KW V1s/matte black grills/blacked out side markers/complete LED interior kit/DCI/M-aero front lip/Alcantara shift boot/Clutch stop/CDV delete/LED reverse lights/muffler delete/Cyba scoops/3.8" Cyba tips

latino1ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 PM   #3083
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino1ny View Post
Yeah, well now it will have a fluid flush, however this makes me question all of the rest of the maintenance. I'm starting to think about doing all maintenance possible, kinda like a Inspection 2, but thoroughly. Change all fluids, flush everything, check everything else. Might be expensive though.
u should, for your mileage that failure should happen. id do the cooling sytem 1st,i know a guy with a 99 528 touring w/ 60K+ miles and his radiator went, then his water pump, then his thermostat, now his heater core went.
you dont want the heater core to go, as its expensive to buy AND a PITA to replace.
so start there, then hit bushings. then flush the tranny and diff, by then your brakes may be ready for new pads and a flush.

who did u buy it from, a dealer or a individual, how many owners?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #3084
latino1ny

Dealer... I'm the 3rd owner.
'08 BSM E92 335i 6MT/KW V1s/matte black grills/blacked out side markers/complete LED interior kit/DCI/M-aero front lip/Alcantara shift boot/Clutch stop/CDV delete/LED reverse lights/muffler delete/Cyba scoops/3.8" Cyba tips

Old 04-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #3085
Snik
OEM ///Member

id bet the last 2 didnt do sh1t besides change oil
Old 04-28-2008, 09:28 PM   #3086
latino1ny

Probably not. Carfax says the first owner only had it for like 20k miles IIRC. I dunno, the paperwork is inside the car. Seconds owner had it for a while, I think. I'm hoping they did Inspection 1 and 2, but no way to know for sure. I think after I get the steering rack fixed I'm going to save up a bit and get everything done at once. All fluids changed/flushed, bushings replaced, Meyle HD arms, probably the entire Inspection 2 and then whatever else I feel necesary.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:30 PM   #3087
Snik
OEM ///Member

most people with non Ms dont do inspection 2 dude. so 2 owners on warranty, once that warranty ran out, id say its a safe bet nothing much was done, plus warranty on a non M car usually involves fixing it when it breaks rather than actual preventative maintenance.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 PM   #3088
latino1ny

yeah, my next car I want an M really bad. I might keep this one until I can get an M and then trade it. Although I'm not sure if I want an E36 M, and E46 M or the E39 M5...

Old 04-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #3089
Snik
OEM ///Member

i was E39 dreaming until i found out they cost more to maintain than E46s, so if i dont get a E46 M3 next, im getting a E30 M3, or a E34 M5
Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 PM   #3090
latino1ny

I really want the E46 M3, but E36 M3's are relatively cheap if you look for them. Since you like the E30 maybe dude from RPM will sell you his... is his even an M? Looks nice though.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #3091
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino1ny View Post
I really want the E46 M3, but E36 M3's are relatively cheap if you look for them. Since you like the E30 maybe dude from RPM will sell you his... is his even an M? Looks nice though.
the one he was tallking about, his, is a M3, the one out front the black one, is an M3.
thats the OG M3, that thing is a a fukin CLASSIC and ive seen prestine examples go for over $20k and they stopped sending them here in 91. so you get the idea.

plus they are simple, and easy to work on, waaaaay more reliable than our car, and most other BMWs.
The most advanced thing on those is ABS, eveything else is back to basics.
the problem with them is finding one that wasnt raced, wrecked of not maintained, for a reasonable price.
There engines are bullet proof so long as you take care to do your valve adjustments and oil changes in time.

E36, those are rolling nightmare, if you think a E46 has problems get a E36 and you will be amazed
Old 04-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #3092
latino1ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post

The most advanced thing on those is ABS, eveything else is back to basics.
the problem with them is finding one that wasnt raced, wrecked of not maintained, for a reasonable price.
There engines are bullet proof so long as you take care to do your valve adjustments and oil changes in time.

E36, those are rolling nightmare, if you think a E46 has problems get a E36 and you will be amazed

Well I didnt see his M3. but that black one out front is I love the rims on the rear. Lip is huge. The whole car looks great overall.

So you mean the E30's have no computer controlling everything? It's basically like owning a normal car? I dont see why you'd want one then. Just my thought. Anyways, what's so bad about the E36? I'll admit I dont like their looks as much as the E46, but why are they a nightmare? I actually kinda like the little feature in the center console using their OBC to display current speed, and all the other little gadgets. I wish our cars had those. I mean, we have the one located in the instrument cluster, but that only displays 5 bits of info: miles left to the tank, avg MPG, avg MPH, temp, and time. I wish it displayed current digital read outs lioke current MPG, and current MPH. I mean, I know there are tricks to the OBC to get ours to read out like that, but I'm not messing with the OBC like that.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:01 AM   #3093
Snik
OEM ///Member

i want one because they are beautiful, theyre classic, theyre one of the best handling cars on the planet, STILL!!!, theyre light, use less gas, theyre respected, and theyre easier to work on and maintain, and cheaper too.

no buying a fancy tool to read some code, no going to the dealership if you cant read the code. no 200 sensors to replace, no pos window regulators, no 2000 fuses in the fusebox, no vanos, no power this, and power that, none of that BS that goes haywire when the a few sensors arent reading correctly, no ODB1, no OBD2, just good old fashion automobile. same with the E34M5, just sold machinery, no gadgets and gizmos, and TONS of fun. SUPERB hanlding, makes the current BMW feel like Buicks. seriously.

The E36 has more issues and problems than the E46 dude, i dont want to ghet into it but its long. and if u dont get one that was very well maintained its gonna cost u. plus they were detuned in the US, so theyre not even that fast when u really tink about it.
this isnt about looks for me, this is about driving and maintaining.

If you want a digita readout of your speedo buy a newer car, they have all that electronic BS. i dont know if u realize it, but the more electronics your car has, the more sh1t that breaks that you cant fix yourself. why do u need a redundant electroni readout of your speed when there is a very easy to ready needle infront of you.
The OBC shows average speed, average mileage, miles till empty, outside temp, current time.
The dash shows current speed, current mileage, trip mileage.
i dont understand why you would want more? if u must have current speed displayed digitally, get Navi in your car, most will show that, the OE one will.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:04 AM   #3094
Snik
OEM ///Member

drool fuker ......

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 AM   #3095
latino1ny

lol. I know what you're saying about the more electronic sh1t in your car the more chance of somethng fukin up. I just think all the little gadgets are cool. I've always liked the digital speedometer readouts. Instead of being halfway between 70 and 75, you can have a digital readout telling you that you're for sure going 72 or something like that. Only time digitals suck is when you're accelerating fast because most of the time they can't keep up like a gauge can. Usually the digital will just skip numbers while you're accelerating. It will say like 5, 12, 19, 23, 28, 34, etc. That's the onyl thing I dont like about them. If they made them faster and able to keep up then I would be all over them. Anyways, the E30 hasn't really grown on me, but that one out front of RPM is definitely NICE!!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #3096
Snik
OEM ///Member

looks like youre spending too much time looking at the dash than looking at the road.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:09 AM   #3097
latino1ny

maybe.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:14 AM   #3098
Snik
OEM ///Member

thats like people ask me when we go ride the backroads, "hey, how fast were you going around that corner" like id fukin know, who the hell looks at the speedo except when going straight?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:30 AM   #3099
latino1ny

lol true

Old 04-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #3100
Snik
OEM ///Member

what time is your car gonna be done?