E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #10881
latino1ny

My Ride: BSM 335i
GOOD MORNING ALL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slosvt View Post
$40? I wish! Try $110 in VB. Had two in the past year and now I am legal...
That's the thing, My tint tickets aren't all from NN. I had 4 tickets for tint, 1 in NN, 1 in VB, and 2 in Chesapeake. ALL of them were $40. But I never got pulled for just tint because AFAIK, that's a "secondary law" just like texting while driving. A secondary law means they can't pull you for just that. So if a cop see you texting and driving he can't pull you until he finds another reason. But can't pull you on that reason alone. Same with tint. Tint is a secondary law and you cannot be pulled for just that, must be speeding, etc also. So when I got my 4 tickets it was failure to stop for a red light in NN, improper equipment, and illegal lane change, in Chesapeake, and reckless driving in VB. But each time the tint portion was $40 (they write you 2 seperate tickets, I dunno why they dont just combine everything into one ticket like most other states do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95avusblue View Post
is anybody going to the autocross event at acu-4 on sunday?????? im just curious i am going to go im not driving just takin pics.
Is this the one you gotta pay $100 just to spectate it? If so hell no. But if it's free to spectate then provide more info (where it is, what time, etc) and I may show up. I like spectating auto-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonBlk///M View Post
So mount trashy tomorrow at 1? Thats still happeneing right? and did the peninsula crew ever decide on a time to meet at the AMC-24?
That's the plan, and the penincats have it to meet at AMC at 11:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
rain rain go away and dont come back again.... which muthafuka ate the lifesavers?
lifesavers? I thought it rained due to someone killing a spider? Never heard of it raining cuz someone ate a lifesaver.
'08 BSM E92 335i 6MT/KW V1s/matte black grills/blacked out side markers/complete LED interior kit/DCI/M-aero front lip/Alcantara shift boot/Clutch stop/CDV delete/LED reverse lights/muffler delete/Cyba scoops/3.8" Cyba tips

latino1ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #10882
idriveane34

My Ride: kills bugs
mmmmm lifesavers.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #10883
latino1ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal E46 View Post
Now that I want to do. I have light sensitivity problems and can probably get a "prescription" to do so, but I think it would still draw unwanted attention. Have you ever been pulled or questioned?
A prescription will only get you down to 35% legally. Right now the law in VA is 50% for front driver's and passenger's windows, and 35% for rear windows. The prescription will only get you down to 35% all around:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1053

(ACTUAL STATE LAW)

(NOTE: if you read the VERY last line in that law section, it says "Such measurements made by law-enforcement officers shall be given a tolerance of minus seven percentage points." So if they read you as 7% under the legal limit, they can't get you for it.)

However, if you wish to apply for a waiver:
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...sunshading.asp
'08 BSM E92 335i 6MT/KW V1s/matte black grills/blacked out side markers/complete LED interior kit/DCI/M-aero front lip/Alcantara shift boot/Clutch stop/CDV delete/LED reverse lights/muffler delete/Cyba scoops/3.8" Cyba tips

Last edited by latino1ny; 08-14-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #10884
Focal E46

My Ride: is a DIYer
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino1ny View Post
A prescription will only get you down to 35% legally. Right now the law in VA is 50% for front driver's and passenger's windows, and 35% for rear windows. The prescription will only get you down to 35% all around:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...+cod+46.2-1053

(ACTUAL STATE LAW)

(NOTE: if you read the VERY last line in that law section, it says "Such measurements made by law-enforcement officers shall be given a tolerance of minus seven percentage points." So if they read you as 7% under the legal limit, they can't get you for it.)

However, if you wish to apply for a waiver:
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...sunshading.asp
You're the man!! I think I'll be making an appointment for next week.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #10885
hcaleman

My Ride: E36 M3
I need to get tint done on my car as well, I don't really want to go below 35% though as it's tough enough to see at night. Any recommendations on a good place to get it done around here?
Old 08-14-2009, 09:11 AM   #10886
///TRNSPRTR

My Ride: 07 Tundra, 02 M3
My morning sucked ass! I woke up to find out that I did not get paid by Uncle Sam. Had to run around all morning to get it straight. This caused me to miss out on a few things:

1: I wasn't able to join my class at the range to blow some **** up!
2: I have to wait until the end of the month to get reimbursed!
3: This might cause me to miss another chance at getting boosted!
4: And I miss my chance to got to Nashville with my buddies here!

However:
1: This allows me to start my weekend early!
2: This allows me to go see District 9 earlier than planned!
3: I get to rest before the night.

/rant!
///TRNSPRTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:24 AM   #10887
RSDeuce

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
I am thinking about going to ACU-4. I wanted to have my clutch in, but oh well... I haven't been to an event this year and I am itching to go.

ACU-4 is free for spectators, but you have to be on the list to get in.

www.tidewatersportscarclub.com

Go there, and add yourself to the list. DO IT NOW. Because they will turn the list in tomorrow to the military and you won't be able to get on base.

This of course doesn't count if you have credentials to get on base anyway (I do). If you are Air Force and do not have a base sticker, this will make it easier to get on, as they will not harass you about it.

On another note, when I got pulled over the first time for tint (In Hampton) that was the only reason I got pulled. It is a VA State law for tint (even though I think the prices are determined city to city) and you can be pulled over for that and no other reason.
RSDeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #10888
THATS FRESH

My Ride: SSHNIPER
Send a message via AIM to THATS FRESH Send a message via Skype™ to THATS FRESH
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post
I need to get tint done on my car as well, I don't really want to go below 35% though as it's tough enough to see at night. Any recommendations on a good place to get it done around here?
Atlantic Shoreline Tinting. drop my info for that club discount (=
applies to anyone on here.

Glenn
757 217 5751
Old 08-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #10889
latino1ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal E46 View Post
You're the man!! I think I'll be making an appointment for next week.
You're welcome, but it still only limits you to 35%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSDeuce View Post
I am thinking about going to ACU-4. I wanted to have my clutch in, but oh well... I haven't been to an event this year and I am itching to go.

ACU-4 is free for spectators, but you have to be on the list to get in.

www.tidewatersportscarclub.com

Go there, and add yourself to the list. DO IT NOW. Because they will turn the list in tomorrow to the military and you won't be able to get on base.

This of course doesn't count if you have credentials to get on base anyway (I do). If you are Air Force and do not have a base sticker, this will make it easier to get on, as they will not harass you about it.
So you only need to sign up to get on base? I can get on base, that's no problem. But do I need to sign up to spectate? Which base is it on and where on the base is it? And what day/time is it?

Old 08-14-2009, 09:36 AM   #10890
Focal E46

Quote:
You're welcome, but it still only limits you to 35%.
...and the windshield.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #10891
RSDeuce

Quote:
So you only need to sign up to get on base? I can get on base, that's no problem. But do I need to sign up to spectate? Which base is it on and where on the base is it? And what day/time is it?

Does your car run? If it does, I HIGHLY suggest you see if there are open spots on the roster when you arrive. You will not regret it. Bring the $25, and go for it. Helmets can be provided, and the people there will be very gracious in trying to help you out.

Autocross at a basic level has nothing to do with racing. It is learning how to control your car while having a great time doing it. Give it a shot.

Check that website for all the info.

The autocross is on Little Creek, you will have to look around for the heat times. (It usually lasts from 8am to 3pm, 2 sessions with 3 heats per session.)
Old 08-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #10892
RSDeuce

Quote:
What I said
I just checked the site, registration is closed, and it says that they won't accept new registrations on the day of, ask anyways though just in case haha.

www.autocross.us has tons of newbie info (it is mostly populated by the guys here in Hampton Roads.) It also has links to all the area clubs websites.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #10893
latino1ny

Quote:
Check that website for all the info.

The autocross is on Little Creek, you will have to look around for the heat times. (It usually lasts from 8am to 3pm, 2 sessions with 3 heats per session.)
Here's the time information:

http://www.tidewatersportscarclub.co...=47&Itemid=182

I might go, it's kinda early to get up and be all the way to Little Creek by that time. But there are a few BM's on the roster.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #10894
Impulsed7

My Ride: just an M3, sort of
yea I just saw that it was closed as well, o well. we can ask when we get there.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:05 AM   #10895
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:

That's the thing, My tint tickets aren't all from NN. I had 4 tickets for tint, 1 in NN, 1 in VB, and 2 in Chesapeake. ALL of them were $40. But I never got pulled for just tint because AFAIK, that's a "secondary law" just like texting while driving. A secondary law means they can't pull you for just that. So if a cop see you texting and driving he can't pull you until he finds another reason. But can't pull you on that reason alone.
Are you sure about that. that does not sound right to me. If you break a law, no matter how small they can pull you for just that. period. so if officer dickhead in his judgment thinks your **** is dark, he can stop you, check you and site you if wrong, and send you on your way... for just one damn thing...

Quote:
lifesavers? I thought it rained due to someone killing a spider? Never heard of it raining cuz someone ate a lifesaver.
clearly you were not in the Marine Corps
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #10896
Focal E46

Quote:
I just checked the site, registration is closed, and it says that they won't accept new registrations on the day of, ask anyways though just in case haha.

www.autocross.us has tons of newbie info (it is mostly populated by the guys here in Hampton Roads.) It also has links to all the area clubs websites.
Yeah I got done drilling the site down to be disappointed Oh well, I should have moved quicker

Quote:
Are you sure about that. that does not sound right to me. If you break a law, no matter how small they can pull you for just that. period. so if officer dickhead in his judgment thinks your **** is dark, he can stop you, check you and site you if wrong, and send you on your way... for just one damn thing...

Yeah that law has changed. They can even pull you for a seat belt vio now.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #10897
latino1ny

Quote:

I said as far as I know tint is (or was) a secondary law. Just like seatbelts and texting. I'm not sure if it still IS a secondary law, but I havent seen anything saying it isn't. And for an example of what exactly a secondary law is, here's an article about the secondary law of texting in New York. Granted the topic of discussion isn't texting and we're not in New York, but the article outlines the principles of a "secondary law"

http://www.buffalonews.com/cityregio...ry/747723.html

And no, I was never a My Ass Rides In Navy Equipment

Seatbelt laws in Virginia are still secondary:
http://www.flachslaw.com/library/sec...s-annually.cfm

Last edited by latino1ny; 08-14-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:06 AM   #10898
Snik
OEM ///Member

ok, you just killed it, this aint NY, youre in the commonwealth, they can stop your ass for anything, as long as its reasonable cause. period.
dont where a seat belt or text and drive and you will get stopped if an officer sees it.
there is nothing more to it, you break the law, you can be stopped and cited.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #10899
latino1ny

I was using the NY article to give you an example of what a secondary law is. I havent found one from Virginia yet (Google sucks) but once I find one I'll post. And that seatbelt law I posted WAS from Virginia.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #10900
Snik
OEM ///Member

ok, how about you just go try it and tell us what the officers says when you tell him that BS.
you can use other states law as much as you want, this is VA dude, theyre on their own program round here.