E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 85 votes, 4.94 average.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #17061
hcaleman

My Ride: E36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Not an E36 but my cupkit uses bilsetin shocks. I love the ride. Its def not track ready I think, since its valved more for comfort than sport.

I have the PSS9s on the green car. more comfy IMO than the KW's and handles better. although i dont know what you are trying to see, the pss9s have the bilstein shocks?
There is a lot of whining on various forums that the bilstein sports for the E36 M3 specifically have screwed up valving causing them to be overly harsh in normal driving. At the limit they perform well, but apparently due to the valving spec they are very harsh on the street. It's an application specific issue.

Mine is stiff when going over the roads here, it's not awful, but I want to see if these claims hold any water and if I am just oblivious to what I'm missing.

The Konis, bilstein PSS9s, and stock are all supposedly much better. Next time we're at a meet will have to ride in your green car, I'm curious how the PSS9s, I've sworn off coilovers on a street car, but I have ridden in a gt-r with a pss9 setup and was very impressed.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:39 AM   #17062
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
remember, ride quality is really just someones opinion, Cory thinks my car is rough, i think its perfect. most people are surprised atthe ride quality after seeing the drop, yet some say, its great, some say they wouldnt want to drive it daily.

So its really hard to gauge off someones opinion. unless they are compare it to a common baseline, say the stock setup.

IMO a propper set of coilovers are unbeatable. As most can be set from comfortably firm but compliant to solid as slate.
Particularly the top name Brands.

Then you have to factor in how different the road condistions were when you you sampled what you sampled and car type, also RFT vs conventional tires.
RFT on the rear made the sharp jolts of 64 and 264 expansion joints almost unbearable compared to the regular tires, but everything else they feel basically the same.

Last edited by Snik; 12-17-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #17063
idriveane34

My Ride: kills bugs
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
Dudes i just saw a Porsche Panamerica on indian lakes, it is
It's the "Panamera" not Panamerica.....

it's disgusting. I can not stand looking at it... and it's in the showroom here.

One of Porsche's biggest fails ever.

oh, hey guys
Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 AM   #17064
bpalm004

My Ride: E36 M3 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post
There is a lot of whining on various forums that the bilstein sports for the E36 M3 specifically have screwed up valving causing them to be overly harsh in normal driving. At the limit they perform well, but apparently due to the valving spec they are very harsh on the street. It's an application specific issue.

Mine is stiff when going over the roads here, it's not awful, but I want to see if these claims hold any water and if I am just oblivious to what I'm missing.

The Konis, bilstein PSS9s, and stock are all supposedly much better. Next time we're at a meet will have to ride in your green car, I'm curious how the PSS9s, I've sworn off coilovers on a street car, but I have ridden in a gt-r with a pss9 setup and was very impressed.
I'm using all stock M3 suspension. However, I have greatly considered purchasing a brand new suspension set, which would include the most comprehensive one available. But I don't know which one to get. I was looking at bilstein, but now you have me worried.

Where should I look for consultation on purchasing a high quality suspension kit?!?!?!?
bpalm004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:17 AM   #17065
XiKnight

My Ride: 2002 M3
Porshe should never have built a 4 door car, suv maybe but car no. It takes away from the image of porshe as if they are trying to target the average family now with 2 kids, a dog, and they recycle on a daily basis while still do speeds of 100+ with no problem. That and its ugly it looks like a stretched 911 on organic steroids (because its a hybrid).
Old 12-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #17066
idriveane34

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiKnight View Post
Porshe should never have built a 4 door car, suv maybe but car no. It takes away from the image of porshe as if they are trying to target the average family now with 2 kids, a dog, and they recycle on a daily basis while still do speeds of 100+ with no problem. That and its ugly it looks like a stretched 911 on organic steroids (because its a hybrid).
NO NO NO NO NO. I think the 4 door car is AMAZING. You take that back!!

...and yes. One of their marketing techniques (as I actually listen to a salesman pitching it to a d-bag now...) is "and look, you can fit your car seat in it."

It looks terrible. The front axle goes through the engine. What the hell.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:22 AM   #17067
hcaleman

My Ride: E36 M3
read the e36 m3 section on bimmerforums. You can come for a spin in my car, you're in the area? My office is downtown norfolk, but I live up on the peninsula (NN). I am running bilsteins on stock springs, it works for me but I am curious as to other options. 99% of the guys say Konis with stock or H&R sport springs is the best combo. Others say even a pair of new OEM sachs shocks are great (remember all the handling awards the e36 M got in its heyday).

The bilstein PSS9s are all claimed to be great as well, bilstein in general is a very good product it is just the apparent valving of the E36 M3 sport shock that is an issue. I wouldn't bother with anything else really, especially those cheapass coilovers (raceland, etc). I've just been curious about it and would like to do a back to back comparison of the common setups to see if all this talk on the forums is purely speculation and e-penis wagging.

Last edited by hcaleman; 12-17-2009 at 10:24 AM.
hcaleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #17068
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Leaving Blacksburg in an hour and back to the 757
Old 12-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #17069
XiKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by idriveane34 View Post
NO NO NO NO NO. I think the 4 door car is AMAZING. You take that back!!

...and yes. One of their marketing techniques (as I actually listen to a salesman pitching it to a d-bag now...) is "and look, you can fit your car seat in it."

It looks terrible. The front axle goes through the engine. What the hell.
Yea i agree a 4 door car is great but not for porshe they should have left it up to their SUV (Cayenne) and redesigned that with a hybrid. Then they could of used that money to come out with a new cooler (As if porshe could be any cooler) 2 door sports car that is mildly prices for the average Joe.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #17070
idriveane34

Quote:
Yea i agree a 4 door car is great but not for porshe they should have left it up to their SUV (Cayenne) and redesigned that with a hybrid. Then they could of used that money to come out with a new cooler (As if porshe could be any cooler) 2 door sports car that is mildly prices for the average Joe.
I can understand why Porsche did it... but the way they constructed it, and their target audience.. was just bad in every single way. It's disappointing to see. I like that Audi put together a bunch of diesels, though.

I think if I were to ever get a new(er) car, it'd probably be an Audi A3... but I won't ever buy a new car, so I guess it doesn't matter. When my e34 dies, I'll be finding another one.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:40 AM   #17071
XiKnight

I agree the construction is disappointing. My heart is still set on a E46 M3, (many many years from now) porsche carrera GT. How long have you had your E34?
Old 12-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #17072
idriveane34

Quote:
I agree the construction is disappointing. My heart is still set on a E46 M3, (many many years from now) porsche carrera GT. How long have you had your E34?
I've had it since late 2003... and I've racked up over 60k on it. Just took her on a trip to NoVA last weekend... and am planning a road trip to PA in April. By far one of the best cruising cars with a decent amount of power I've ever been in.

My dream car is the e34 M5. Pretty sure I've said on here and at other points before that I'd offer my hand in marriage for one.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 AM   #17073
XiKnight

That does sound like a fun crusie. PA has some awesome roads to drive around on, I take advantage of the nice weather everytime I am up there. I bougt my car last year and it had 65K when I bought it. I took it back and forth to PA and I also drove to Texas and back and I now have 93K on it. I have to take it in for its 90K Inspection and i am really not looking forward to it.
Wow hand in marriage huh?? thats deep...
Old 12-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #17074
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
we sure think alike
Old 12-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #17075
robb1887

My Ride: 00 Mshoe
welcome back Cory!
Old 12-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #17076
Impulsed7

My Ride: just an M3, sort of
The general opinion on stock e36 M3 shocks is that they are overdamped stock. Let me run through the suspensions I've had on e36's.
2 with H&R Race springs. One with the cup kit shocks, one with Koni's that I replaced with bilsteins. Koni's felt like blown stock shocks. Cup kit shocks felt great, same with the bilsteins. Springs were low and stiff, but easily bearable on the street.
1 with H&R cupkit, too comfortable for me...
1 with B&G coilovers, which I think are the koni multi way adj shocks. obviously adjustable, so could be comfy or stiff.
1 with KW V1 (black one) not as comfy as the PSS9's, and a hair shy of them in the handling dept.
1 with PSS9's (standard e36 sway bar mount), handle great and a very livable ride. Also have the UUC front sway bar on the car as well.

you should never upgrade the rear sway in an e36, even for racing. with my 95 IP car I ran a 325 rear bar and got tons more grip out of the back end and way more feedback from the rear.

And yea rhon, the 9ff was some dude from DC who was up at one of the philly meets for a few minutes. he was driving by and saw all the cars so he stopped. sounded good as hell, but still so ugly I could never own one.

Modbargains 12 day christmas sale is for KW coilovers today and today only. If you're gonna go balls out save some money...

woah, chris henry died...

Last edited by Impulsed7; 12-17-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Impulsed7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #17077
andrew765

My Ride: alpine m3
First post in forever.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #17078
robb1887

My Ride: 00 Mshoe
holy crap.. all the creepers coming out!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #17079
StephWithStars

My Ride: A magical unicorn.
Send a message via AIM to StephWithStars Send a message via Yahoo to StephWithStars
All we need is Jake.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #17080
cozilla

Jake posted...

sig by roddykaregaran
cozilla is offline   Reply With Quote