E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Mid Atlantic

Mid Atlantic
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
DC DE MD PA VA WV

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 70 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #19881
das BENZin

My Ride: 1985 380SE 5.6
Royal Purple sponsors your car?

My thing with Royal Purple is they throw around the term "racing" without any meaning. Racing oil doesn't last. You measure the life of a true racing oil in hundreds of miles. So is that what they're selling? Or at they selling you normal oil and calling it racing? Or high detergent?

There are plenty of oils that are good, Amsoil is just the only 5w-40 that comes to mind that is good and will last long enough to go by the service lights.
das BENZin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #19882
Silver_Surfer

My Ride: 2006 Lotus Exige
So I got the car on the lift, exhaust on the exterior seems fine, all the connections look tight, can't feel any exhaust gases coming from any place they shouldn't.....So I'm thinking its the cat.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #19883
das BENZin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
So I got the car on the lift, exhaust on the exterior seems fine, all the connections look tight, can't feel any exhaust gases coming from any place they shouldn't.....So I'm thinking its the cat.
Can you look in past the cat heat shields with a light? Look for black streaking. Also, try stuffing the tailpipe with a rag (or having someone partially block the tailpipe with a piece of wood) and see if that helps you find the leak.

Also, you have a lift???!!!

Last edited by das BENZin; 02-08-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #19884
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
2 more spots left for fender rolling, just for us. cmon guys/girls

http://vadriven.com/forums/showthread.php?t=331880
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 PM   #19885
Silver_Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by das BENZin View Post
Can you look in past the cat heat shields with a light? Look for black streaking. Also, try stuffing the tailpipe with a rag (or having someone partially block the tailpipe with a piece of wood) and see if that helps you find the leak.

Also, you have a lift???!!!
I don't have a personal lift, I use the hobby shop on base. I wish I could find any kind of streaking or carbon, it is actually really clean underthere. Neither I or the hobby shop workers could see or hear anything that would suggest an exhaust leak. It's really crazy how this could just happen over night. I'm really starting to think the cat clogged or destroyed itself....that and God hates me....
Old 02-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #19886
das BENZin

Quote:
I don't have a personal lift, I use the hobby shop on base. I wish I could find any kind of streaking or carbon, it is actually really clean underthere. Neither I or the hobby shop workers could see or hear anything that would suggest an exhaust leak. It's really crazy how this could just happen over night. I'm really starting to think the cat clogged or destroyed itself....that and God hates me....
My understanding is you're getting more volume, but not the smell of smog, right? Did you try stuffing up the tailpipe? You can't really find a leak that you can't see without doing that. Another thing to try is getting under the car on a cold engine in cold weather and looking for where water drips.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:31 PM   #19887
Silver_Surfer

I didn't try stuffing the tailpipe, but yes its more volume, like a really loud drone and vibrations in the seats and shifter.... in the past when I have looked for exhaust leaks I was able to feel the leak by the pulsing air escaping and you can usually hear it. I was under the car with it running and couldn't find anything. But I guess I can try stuffing the exhaust..and specific things I need to know when doing this?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:47 PM   #19888
das BENZin

Quote:
I didn't try stuffing the tailpipe, but yes its more volume, like a really loud drone and vibrations in the seats and shifter.... in the past when I have looked for exhaust leaks I was able to feel the leak by the pulsing air escaping and you can usually hear it. I was under the car with it running and couldn't find anything. But I guess I can try stuffing the exhaust..and specific things I need to know when doing this?
Nothing really, you're just trying to make enough pressure to put enough of the gas out the leak to make it easy to find. It's hard to find a leak at idle rpm if the exhaust isn't overly-restrictive and the noise is loud enough that you can't pinpoint it. Just know that if you plug it up too much the engine won't run.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 PM   #19889
Silver_Surfer

I'll give that a shot....the thing is I was planning on upgrading the exhaust anyways, but I would hate to spend all the money on a new exhaust only to find out that it's not related.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:24 PM   #19890
IB RearWheelin

My Ride: Rental...for now.
Quote:
Royal Purple sponsors your car?

My thing with Royal Purple is they throw around the term "racing" without any meaning. Racing oil doesn't last. You measure the life of a true racing oil in hundreds of miles. So is that what they're selling? Or at they selling you normal oil and calling it racing? Or high detergent?

There are plenty of oils that are good, Amsoil is just the only 5w-40 that comes to mind that is good and will last long enough to go by the service lights.
Well if I switch oils they will not sponsor me, I am not sponsored yet anyway...but anywho I have my manual right here in front of me and it states my engine oil specifications when selecting oil,
required quality:
API-SH
API-SH/CD
API-SH/CE

I have no idea what they mean. It also states my engine supposed to run 15w-40 when the temperature is warm above 40 Degrees F. 5w-30 when the temperature is cold below 40.

It says something about API SERVICE SG. ENERGY CONSERVING II.

^WOW thats some thick sh1t. 1540
IB RearWheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #19891
Impulsed7

My Ride: just an M3, sort of
just run 5w 40 year round. I usually run 20w50 in the summer and 5w40 or 30 in the winter.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM   #19892
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulsed7 View Post
just run 5w 40 year round. I usually run 20w50 in the summer and 5w40 or 30 in the winter.
i run M1 0w40 all year round, no issues. Previous owner used to run BMW 5w30 (or 5w40) all year, and he was in south Jersey.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #19893
The Law

My Ride: 1993 325i
Dang garage opener crapped out on me. Time to get another one and replace the old one.
The Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #19894
das BENZin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB RearWheelin View Post
Well if I switch oils they will not sponsor me, I am not sponsored yet anyway...but anywho I have my manual right here in front of me and it states my engine oil specifications when selecting oil,
required quality:
API-SH
API-SH/CD
API-SH/CE

I have no idea what they mean. It also states my engine supposed to run 15w-40 when the temperature is warm above 40 Degrees F. 5w-30 when the temperature is cold below 40.

It says something about API SERVICE SG. ENERGY CONSERVING II.

^WOW thats some thick sh1t. 1540
Weird, I don't remember my bro's 540 saying 15w-40 for temps above 40F. At any rate, SH doesn't exist any more (since then we've had SJ, SL, and now SM). Oil of today is WAY different from the oil of the late 90s, and in many ways worse, particularly oils that are 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30. I'm still going to recommend 5w-40, or maybe 10w-40. Your engine isn't stock anyways, do you know what the piston clearance is now? Motul 300V is another good oil, but it has to be changed every 3k miles (which you do anyways).
Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #19895
IB RearWheelin

My Ride: Rental...for now.
Quote:
Weird, I don't remember my bro's 540 saying 15w-40 for temps above 40F. At any rate, SH doesn't exist any more (since then we've had SJ, SL, and now SM). Oil of today is WAY different from the oil of the late 90s, and in many ways worse, particularly oils that are 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-30. I'm still going to recommend 5w-40, or maybe 10w-40. Your engine isn't stock anyways, do you know what the piston clearance is now? Motul 300V is another good oil, but it has to be changed every 3k miles (which you do anyways).
.030 bored out, with .0005 (1/2 thousandth) piston-to-wall clearance. I believe about .004'' piston to valve clearance.
IB RearWheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #19896
das BENZin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB RearWheelin View Post
.030 bored out, with .0005" (1/2 thousandth) piston-to-wall clearance. I believe about .004'' piston to valve clearance.
Same as MB runs, tight but not ridiculous. Go to a 5w-40, it just might cure the valve tap.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:48 AM   #19897
Silver_Surfer

FML....my car hates me.

So I spent all last night researching possible reasons for my car current car issues on my iphone last night (because my computer is sick) so you can imagine how much fun that was. I just could not sleep at all knowing something was wrong with it. So I wake up this morning and get ready for work, start the car to warm it up (noise is still there). After warming up the car I pull out of my parking spot (sound is still there), pull out of my complex (sound is still there) get on the Highway then get to the stop light before there (sound is there....but not as bad as yesterday) my drive to work is extremely short so I never reach full operating temperature. I get to work only to realize I forgot my cover (or hat to you civies) so I turn back around and hit the off ramp, I get on it a little bit (the car is at operating temp now) and get it on it again right before my exit (the very next exit) and when I pull to the stop light.....NOTHING!! The car sounds completely fine now, no vibrating, no drone!! So now I don't know what to think. After getting my cover I drive back to work and get it on it a few more times and still fine. The only thing I could notice is more of a smelly exhaust smell and it looked like alot of exhaust fumes coming from my car, but I'm not sure if that is because I'm more on alert because of the issues or if because it really is worse. I guess all I can really do is let the car sit until the end of the work day and see if the problem comes back....if it doesn't I'm stumped and don't know what to look at.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:57 AM   #19898
das BENZin

Hmmm....I wonder if an O2 sensor is a little loose. In my limited experience, a loose O2 sensor will leak until the exhaust gets good and hot and then, I imagine from expansion, seal itself.

As far as the exhaust smell, it could be your short commute that causes that now that you had an opportunity for a longer one. Get the engine up to temp and try giving it an Italian tune up.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 AM   #19899
Silver_Surfer

Wouldn't any change to a light throw an 02 code? I dunno..... haha Italian tune up?
Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 AM   #19900
Impulsed7

My Ride: just an M3, sort of
Quote:
Wouldn't any change to a light throw an 02 code? I dunno..... haha Italian tune up?
romp on it...

and a very small exhaust leak at the o2 sensor would just cause it to read lean, therefore adding more fuel than needed, causing more exhaust fumes...
check all of your exhaust parts for looseness. or something from the car directly touching the exhaust could cause the sounds you describe as well.