E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 10:37 PM   #21
win-by-miles
It really was a Rocky story

My Ride: Refer to sig
no no no.... i wasnt thinking about cutting anything

i just wanted to put the resistor there to trick the computer into thinking that the bulb is there and on.... thats all i want to do...
win-by-miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:42 PM   #22
james2538

My Ride: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by win-by-miles View Post
no no no.... i wasnt thinking about cutting anything

i just wanted to put the resistor there to trick the computer into thinking that the bulb is there and on.... thats all i want to do...
Alright, I can understand not wanting to cut anything. Still I strongly advise you to just get the LCM flashed so you don't lose highbeams/flash.

Just pick up the 3 ohm resistor and two wire taps. You'll be set. Be sure to mount the resistor in a safe place (It gets HOT, don't put it near plastic)

Last edited by james2538; 02-14-2007 at 10:44 PM.
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:23 PM   #23
KaOsTiK

My Ride: 2003.5 M3
lol..i love some of the diy replies...but try this...

try going to the dealership and actually talking to the shop foreman and working something out for you having your car in for a "headlight bulb flickering" service ...and magically, when u get your car back...your DRL's are disabled

i'm not confirming or denying that it worked for me..but it's just a though...

if that doesnt work, you can always haggle the price cuz all it is ..is a software re-flash that takes no longer than 1 hour.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #24
win-by-miles

well they're trying to scam me into doing it
Old 02-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #25
win-by-miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2538 View Post
Alright, I can understand not wanting to cut anything. Still I strongly advise you to just get the LCM flashed so you don't lose highbeams/flash.

Just pick up the 3 ohm resistor and two wire taps. You'll be set. Be sure to mount the resistor in a safe place (It gets HOT, don't put it near plastic)
i dont wanna tap anything. i just want to unplug cable from the bulb holder and put the resistor into the contacts... then tape it up.... i dont want a permentent solution
Old 02-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #26
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
You would probably spend more than $50 on resistors, I would just take the car to another dealer.

Something to keep in mind is that the resistor will get REALLY hot, so mount it in a place where it won't melt anything. Make sure the reistor you buy has the appropriate power rating (a 100W aluminum resistor would probably be better).

If you want to experiment a bit, you could try different resistance values (you might get away with 6, 10 or maybe even a higher ohm resistor). The higher the resistance, less heat wasted and cheaper resistors.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:57 PM   #27
ChrisBrEeZy

My Ride: 00' 3 Series coupe
i got my DRL turned off today and got the clown nose along with the parking lights to flash when i lock and unlock the car, cost me $30 for 15mins of labor. Most definitely go to another dealer and get it done, $220 is ridiculous....
ChrisBrEeZy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:22 PM   #28
DarXide

My Ride: Slammed on F2's
Send a message via AIM to DarXide Send a message via MSN to DarXide
Tell them FVCKK YOUUUU...
Old 02-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #29
james2538

My Ride: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by win-by-miles View Post
i dont wanna tap anything. i just want to unplug cable from the bulb holder and put the resistor into the contacts... then tape it up.... i dont want a permentent solution
BAD IDEA,

If you aren't willing to do this right, please for the love of god, don't do it at all. I don't wanna see another my car caught on fire because I can't wire worth **** thread.

You are not gonna be able to just wire up a resistor by taping it in. Resistors get rather hot and will melt any plastic around them, including the bulb holder cable.

Tapping the wires is not a permanent solution. You can remove the taps and go back to stock quite easily.

Or better yet... Go to the dealer!
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote