E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-26-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
esberelias

My Ride: '03 325i
Yup, It's another Nexus 7 Install....

Hey guys..

I'd doing a Nexus 7 2013 tablet install in my e46

got a 16GB Nexus 7 but down the road i'll probably go 32GB LTE version

The plan is to have no HU and just use the tablet.

I found a website that makes custom bezels for the Nexus 7 2nd gen for the e46 and it comes with a pre-amp, wiring harnessand ground loop isolator

also ordered a CarPC JoyCon - Steering wheel remote controller USB converter.. So once configured, I would have my steering wheel controls!

and ofcourse OTG Charge cable

On the tablet so far I have rooted it and installed the ElementalX Kernal which gives me charge + OTG.

Using Nova Launcher prime for home screen (Gives me a TON of features & customization and the ablity to choose my grid how many rows and columns I want)

Found a cool wallpaper that a user member (rxritalin) made over at mp3car
which I used as a background than made my own .PNG icons on Photoshop and used "desktop Visualizer" to use those icons i made

screenshot from my tablet right now (Still a working progress)

another screenshot to show that they icons are not embedded to the wallpaper.

Using tasker to control my tablet (turns all everything I need when it connects to power and turns off everything when power is cut)

also installed 'Xposed Installer' and using modules like xtended navbar which gives me media buttons on my soft key bar

I'll be using BT tethering to my tablet for the time being

My cellphone company has an app so I can use my cell number as VoIP and also I have Viber installed to use as my phone

Poweramp pro as my music player

Tune announcer pro to display song info/read out while in other screen like navigation

Torque Pro for diagnostics and real time readouts abut my car (COOLANT TEMPS IN PARTICULAR lol)

Tunein Radio pro for local and internet radio

Igo and google maps for navigation

ES Explorer for file management

This is what I have so far... I'll keep this updated as I go along and I get my bits and pieces together.

If anyone has suggestions for me... Let me know!

Check out my ride
esberelias is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:22 AM   #2
Goodfella.

My Ride: E46M3/E28ETA
looks well sorted out.

Over the past two weeks ive been looking into doing this. Honestly, Ideally i'd like to use a 8" tablet like the samsung note 2 tablet, but nobody makes a bezel for 8" tabs.

I was considering getting a dyanvin/eonon/avin tab, but after looking at the buttons on the units, i wont even use any of them in reality. it's a power button, a mode button, volume, and radio controls basically. I don't need buttons lol. I just need my steering wheel controls and android.

keep us updated!
Goodfella. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 01:33 AM   #3
esberelias

I have the Eonon D5150 now... I have nothing against it but I have a tablet in my SUV and i LOVE IT...

volume button is a MUST for me.. and I was considering putting a 7 band EQ just so I can have a master knob but I'm good with the steering wheel volume!!! once I found that joycon I was like a kid @ Christmas man lol

I also installed a 'XVOLUME30' in xposed installer so i have 30 step volume control

Check out my ride

Last edited by esberelias; 07-26-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:40 AM   #4
mihak01

My Ride: 1998 BMW E46 323i
Please keep us updated and post a video when you finish the install. I will be doing the exact same thing if all goes well with your setup.

Last edited by mihak01; 07-26-2014 at 01:41 AM.
mihak01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
markus625

My Ride: E46 Compact
I'm waiting till a suitable 8" tablet becomes available which will fit in the opening, I have my eyes on this which is yet to come out the nvidia shield 8"tablet.
http:// http://shield.nvidia.co.uk/gaming-tablet/
markus625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 PM   #6
esberelias

I'm going to buy a shield personally.. looks pretty sweet!. I think the nexus 7 is a perfect size unit for the car thou... I have a nexus 7 in my SUV also... love it as a HU

Check out my ride
Old 07-29-2014, 12:59 AM   #7
Goodfella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus625 View Post
I'm waiting till a suitable 8" tablet becomes available which will fit in the opening, I have my eyes on this which is yet to come out the nvidia shield 8"tablet.
http:// http://shield.nvidia.co.uk/gaming-tablet/
I ideally would like a 8" tablet too. What would you do about the bezel?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:09 AM   #8
markus625

My Ride: E46 Compact
I think the bezal and the double din units you can get for the e46 measure 120mm in height but the 8" tablet such as the shield measures 126mm so you would have to modify the center trim above the bezal to accomadate the tablet / bezal.
This is something I'm hoping can be achieved with a slim bezaled tablet such as the shield or the Samsung tab 8.4s which is 125mm.
markus625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:51 PM   #9
esberelias

still waiting on the bezel and couple other things to arrive but I have received my Joycon EXD and it works AWESOME! I set it up, programmed it, tested it on the tablet already and it's ready to go!

Little IG video of it being programmed

http://instagram.com/p/rN1le3SYaj/?modal=true

Also replaced my amp and went with a JL Audio 500/1 to run my Type R... got the amp for a great deal

Check out my ride

Last edited by esberelias; 08-04-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #10
Goodfella.

any udpates?

also, how do you add a subwoofer to the system when using a tablet?
Old 08-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #11
esberelias

Yeah i got my bezel and installed it, but the amp that i got with the bezel isn't the greatest so i ordered a clarion xc1410 amp to give it that extra watts. I'm also going to use a USB DAC because the nexus 7 build in headphone jack is literally ****...

I'll update once i have my parts and put together

I added some rca Y cables and connected my amp directly to the table FOR THE TIME BEING. I'm eventually going to tap into the wire harness and take some rca's from there to the amp..

Check out my ride