E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
330iREVIVED

My Ride: 03 325xiT, 01 MRdstr
Head Unit Software Version Upgrade??

Tom (or anyone with a wealth of e46 audio knowledge)-

I'm trying to DIY an aux cable, but I seem to have hit a snag. The car is a MY2003 with a build date of 04/2003, but the software version of the HU is 40. I've read on other posts that the HU must be 43 or higher to access the AUX function. The rear of the unit has the ten pins associated with the AUX input and the "mode" button, so is there a way to update/upgrade to a more current software revision? Is the hardware capable?

For some reason, I think I remember reading that you can get the dealer to flash your HU...but I might be making this up. Any help is appreciated.
330iREVIVED is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 AM   #2
ikeupinya
Stay modded my friends!!!

My Ride: shalt not be riced!!
You should be fine, I installed XM in my MY 6/2003 car & have the same HU SV 40 like yours. I will be installing my aux cable next week as well...
Old 02-11-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iREVIVED View Post

I'm trying to DIY an aux cable, but I seem to have hit a snag. The car is a MY2003 with a build date of 04/2003, but the software version of the HU is 40. I've read on other posts that the HU must be 43 or higher to access the AUX function. The rear of the unit has the ten pins associated with the AUX input and the "mode" button, so is there a way to update/upgrade to a more current software revision? Is the hardware capable?

For some reason, I think I remember reading that you can get the dealer to flash your HU...but I might be making this up. Any help is appreciated.
You will need to be SV 43 or higher, the dealer won't be able to help in the area. You'll have the port back there, however it will not be active.

If you are willing to give up the CD Changer, you can use an AUX device like we have on the site:

eas Auxiliary Audio Input
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=630

However, a replacement radio with the correct SV is the only other alternative.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iREVIVED View Post

If that OEM HU is the radio that came with the car from factory I would still go to the dealer and try to get the OEM HU replaced with the correct version: MY2003-on (09/02-on) are supposed to be AUX ready http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/BM...stallation.pdf

There is no flashing as this is firmware.

I do not think that this is a warranty issue but a factory error in equipment if the HU is the original radio. If by 04/03 the factory still was installing old radios then that's something that the dealer should discuss with the BMW rep. Just do not mess around with that radio anymore until you can get a definitive answer from your dealer.
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
mharv

My Ride: 318 ci sport convert
Will only work with the business CD radio and not cass for info
mharv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #6
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
If that OEM HU is the radio that came with the car from factory I would still go to the dealer and try to get the OEM HU replaced with the correct version: MY2003-on (09/02-on) are supposed to be AUX ready http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/BM...stallation.pdf

I do not think that this is a warranty issue but a factory error in equipment if the HU is the original radio. If by 04/03 the factory still was installing old radios then that's something that the dealer should discuss with the BMW rep. Just do not mess around with that radio anymore until you can get a definitive answer from your dealer.
Do take into the fact that if the vehicle was purchased used, a radio swap could have happened.

We had an incident in which a vehicle (original owner) was 3 months after the qualified production date on Sirius and BMWNA was unwilling to cooperate.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #7
330iREVIVED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post

Thanks for the info. I'll give the dealer a call and see what they can offer. I was going to call them anyway, but I was impatient and wanted an answer before the weekend was over.

As far as I know, it is still the original radio. One of the previous owners monkeyed with the amp in the trunk, but I don't know about the HU. Is there any way to check whether or not the HU is the one that came with the car?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:57 PM   #8
330iREVIVED

Old 02-17-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
ikeupinya
Stay modded my friends!!!

My Ride: shalt not be riced!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeupinya View Post
You should be fine, I installed XM in my MY 6/2003 car & have the same HU SV 40 like yours. I will be installing my aux cable next week as well...

Aux cable install update: SUCCESS!!!
Old 02-17-2007, 02:27 PM   #10
dominicanodcora

My Ride: turbo is300 00 328ci
which radio plays mp3 cd's??
dominicanodcora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicanodcora View Post
which radio plays mp3 cd's??
Business CD radios manufactured after 9/2004. We have them here on the site:

e46 BMW Business CD Radio Upgrade - iPod/AUX/Sirius/MP3/WMA
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=287
Old 08-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
hamrt

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeupinya View Post
Aux cable install update: SUCCESS!!!
Did you install the BMW OEM cable? What is the model number of your HU? I just bought a 6512 6 919 072 for the specific purpose of adding an aux input to my 2000 323i and now I'm wondering if I bought a HU that won't support it.
hamrt is offline   Reply With Quote