E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 03:41 AM   #1
Blitzkrieg

My Ride: is stocker than yers
xenon flickering and miscellaneous

read a few threads about others' problem w/ flickering xenon, my xenon flickering behavior is slightly different. my dash do have rear bulb failure lights on, and it's been like that for a few yrs due to my conversion from r/c/r rear to c/r (7 pin to 6 pin), so this could very well be a LCM or grounding or some fuse burnout problem. but i highly suspect it's just connections up front; i'll have to take it to a shop for further analysis, but just in case, i want to see if anyone else has similar flickering behavior. Basically, this flickering has been going on for maybe a few months, i started noticing it when i hit major bumps or unavoidable potholes or really shitty roads (if anyone knows the atlantic and garfield in alhambra area, yea, that shiet sucks). The flicker would occur after the bumps, and while it's only my driver's side xenon that flickers, the same xenon would sometimes fail and produce a failure dash light. sometimes i could fix it if i just turn off the lights and turn them on again, but sometimes it may take a few tries. I hope it's not something to do w/ the ignitor, but we'll see, since i don't feel comfortable taking the headlights apart myself. In any case, the xenons would flicker over bad roads or if there's vibrations from the car (ie. engine, etc.). All in all, just wondering if anyone is experiencing similar conditions or have a helpful tip, i appreciate u guys' feedback.

On another note... cuz i did the conversion to use these In-Pros taillight lense, (until my eagle eyes LEDs come in), i've finally smoked/tinted them out.. no more ugly eggyolks, say goodbye to the stock in-pros.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00222.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	214434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00221.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	214435   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00186.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	214436  

"You'll think you're either color blind or looking at a black & white movie"
Blitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Marten

My Ride: 323i Convertible -00
I had a similar problem with my drivers side xenon, sometimes it helped for a while to turn them off and then on. For me it was the bulb that was going out, just replace it and youre fine.
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:57 AM   #3
Marten

My Ride: 323i Convertible -00
Oh and check/spray the connector with 5-56 before changing, but Im guessing youve already tried this, right...=)
Marten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:45 AM   #4
Blitzkrieg

i don't quite get what you mean by "check/spray connector w/ 5-56" but i'm pretty sure i didn't do that... all i did was, w/o removing the headlight assembly/housing from the car; i removed the round plastic backing for the xenon projector and just checked reoughly from there to see if there's anything really wrong, but not really, so i guess it's time to get/upgrade to new bulbs

Old 09-11-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
jmack08

My Ride: '01 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to jmack08 Send a message via MSN to jmack08
hey i actually have the EXACT same problem. except now my driver side xenon is out completely. did you happen to resolve the problem? was it the bulb? let me know thanks!
jmack08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
tianchang141

My Ride: 03 Jet Black 325i
i have the same problem with my driver side. it will come on sometimes. i don't have the flickering problem. Do i just need to change the bulb? Thanks
tianchang141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Blitzkrieg

sorry, don't remember if i resolved the problem. It was most likely contacts and loose connections. I'd say to check connections before running the seemingly harder and more expensive way of bulb replacement. After I got new headlight assemblies due to an accident though, the problem was gone. good luck if you guys still have the problems

regards
Sean

Old 01-20-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
a bulb replacement is definitely cheaper than replacing the igniter or ballast. so hope it's the bulbs guys

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote