E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #21
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
They use commercially available smoke machines.

Correct we use comercial grade one that cost 2-3000. Thi was just a way for you guiys aas DIY to save some money and still be able to do things correctly

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:12 AM   #22
Speeder

My Ride: '04 325i - '08 C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Correct we use comercial grade one that cost 2-3000. Thi was just a way for you guiys aas DIY to save some money and still be able to do things correctly
.... yeah, but why can't you just use Carb Cleaner? That's cheaper than ... Ooops, never mind!
Speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #23
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Most of the newer car react to fast on small vacuum leaks and the carb clean method doesn't help to find the leak. really small leaks will not show up with carb clean hence the machine. If i could find every leak with carb clean Why would I spend all the money of a Professional smoke machine?

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:43 PM   #24
Speeder

Quote:
Most of the newer car react to fast on small vacuum leaks and the carb clean method doesn't help to find the leak. really small leaks will not show up with carb clean hence the machine. If i could find every leak with carb clean Why would I spend all the money of a Professional smoke machine?
I was just joking... In fact, I'm still dealing with a possible vacuum leak and haven't even tried carb cleaner because I read your posts wherein you said it doesnt work.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 AM   #25
CrashTest

My Ride: 850 T5 / 79 RX7
jeez i wish I would have built one of these when I was hunting for vacuum leaks on my volvo. so many tiny leaks, the propane did nothing...
good job on the easy to follow plan!
CrashTest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #26
Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTest View Post
jeez i wish I would have built one of these when I was hunting for vacuum leaks on my volvo. so many tiny leaks, the propane did nothing...
good job on the easy to follow plan!
Yeah, Volvos & Fords are known for their vacuum leaks... Google P0171 P0174 (Lean Bank 1 & 2... which most probably is a vacuum leak) and see how many Ford & Volvo search results you'll come up with.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:39 AM   #27
initialandrew

My Ride: BMW 330i ZHP w/ Navi
I just threw P0171 & P0174 on my ZHP. THis sounds like a great way to check for vacuum leaks yourself, but I'm tired of dealing with my car and am letting a shop do it this time. On a side note/rant: They wanted $90 to read the code and diagnose it...I told them screw that...I have the codes here...find my vacuum leak
initialandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:06 AM   #28
Speeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialandrew View Post
I just threw P0171 & P0174 on my ZHP. THis sounds like a great way to check for vacuum leaks yourself, but I'm tired of dealing with my car and am letting a shop do it this time. On a side note/rant: They wanted $90 to read the code and diagnose it...I told them screw that...I have the codes here...find my vacuum leak
Would you be so kind as to come back and post where that leak, if any, was located? I would really appreciate it.

It sounds to me like your car is already at the dealer, if not... check out this thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=360230 to see if the boot/elbow is the culprit.

Or if you're not in the mood to read 13 pages then just go to this DIY...
http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/tubeelbow.php
Pretty simple, $15 to $20 for that part, a couple of scraped knuckles and its done.

Thanks in advance for the update.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #29
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
has anyone made one of these yet?

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 AM   #30
BarryR

My Ride: 318ci
Could this be used for a fuel tank leak as well as an engine leak ?
BarryR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #31
abefroman

My Ride: 2000 323i
I have a hissing noise coming from the fuel rail/intake manifold area an am considering building one of these. How much current does the 12 volt source need for the glow plug to work? Has anyone else tried this?
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #32
Deejay77

My Ride: 325cic, Wrangler, R1
Send a message via AIM to Deejay77
can you let us know what you find with the hissing sound near rail. I have the same. I see no tubes there to check for leaks.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #33
mell1n
hi

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
what if you disconnect the power to your idle speed control valve? the car won't correct for the propane, and you should hear changes in idle.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #34
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Top as this keeps coming up TEST DON"T REPALCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 10-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #35
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
Quote:
Top as this keeps coming up TEST DON"T REPALCE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I never 'Repalce' if I can help it.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #36
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryR View Post
Could this be used for a fuel tank leak as well as an engine leak ?
Yes it can

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

Old 10-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #37
nathancarter

My Ride: 02 330i
Guess I'm building one of these over the next couple of weeks... my '02 330i has been lighting up my SES light occasionally but it usually turns off (and doesn't store the code?) by the time I have my scanner handy. Yesterday I finally caught it (while I was driving down the interstate!) and it was P0174. I'm certain it's not the intake boots; I replaced those very recently as preventive maintenance.

Thankfully I have some glow plugs left over from my old Mercedes diesel. I think I have a 12V tire pump too, worst case scenario I'll rig it up to my little air compressor... I'll take some photos once it's working.

Following Seth's previously posted advice on lean-condition codes: Can the O2 sensor additive/multiplicative values be read by most OBDII scanners? I've misplaced the manual for my Innova brand scanner but can probably figure it out, IF that's something it can read. What should I be looking for?

[edit] Just read this in another thread:
Quote:
Additive and multiplicative can only be read with better BMW equipment, however you can read short term and long term fuel trim which is close and can be used similarly
Any further details on how to do this, or what to look for? Most of my knowledge is in obsolete diesel engines with mechanical injection pumps.

Last edited by nathancarter; 10-20-2008 at 03:35 PM.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #38
plinknatord

My Ride: 2002 325i
Seth,

I too am getting P0171 & P0174. Have already inspected and re tightened all the intake hoses but no joy yet. I love the smoke machine idea (THANK YOU!). Since I already own an air compressor and an output regulator I'd rather not buy the tire pump. Can you suggest what PSI I should set the regulator for? Also, I'm guessing the right feed point for the pressurized smoke would be sealed into the intake hose just after the MAF. Is that right?

Thanks!
plinknatord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:03 PM   #39
GermnBlt

My Ride: 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to GermnBlt
whats being used to hold these items together? Soft flex black pipe/drain, pvc, clear hose?

I got to make one of these, no shop around here has a smoke machine to use on my car...

Photobucket
GermnBlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:15 PM   #40
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
this would have been great if it was a actual step by step DIY...that MS paint sketch doesn't help a retart like me
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote