E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-19-2008, 08:17 AM   #41
plinknatord

My Ride: 2002 325i
Bump. Still looking for suggested PSI and feed point. jbeurotech you out there? Thanks.
plinknatord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #42
plinknatord

Bump Bump
Old 12-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #43
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
couldnt you just buy a smoke pen? not enough smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 11:12 PM   #44
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Quote:
Originally Posted by plinknatord View Post
Bump. Still looking for suggested PSI and feed point. jbeurotech you out there? Thanks.
Sorry haven't been on in a while busy racing and working. 2-3 PSI is all you want for pressure

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #45
plinknatord

Thanks for getting back to us Seth. I was planning on removing the air box and inserting the smoke into the hose that connects to the MAF. Is this the right place to do it?
Old 12-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #46
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

That works we use a cone and insert it after the maf. Other wise the dipstick tube works real well at that will go into the intake as well

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:39 AM   #47
iaknown

My Ride: 2001 330i
Well, I just finished mine, and the design does work but it was short lived....whoever builds one of these make sure you get a SELF-LIMITING glow plug or you will be blowing glow plugs every minute. I was using a standard Ford diesel glow plug and it didn't last. I am picking up an AC-Delco #60G glow plug today, that is a standard GM diesel plug and is self limiting so it will actually limit its current when it gets too hot, not blow out. Not sure if the Mercedes or others are this type or not. Thread on the AC is 10mmx1mm, most common plugs are this metric thread. Amperage draw is roughly 10 amps but depends on the plug. I didn't have any model locomotive fluid available, but you can also use baby oil(mineral oil) in the model locomotives and that worked for me. I imagine that would be safe for our engines. As far as the stuff used in fog machines, it is supposedly straight glycol or polyol (no not antifreeze,) which is used mixed with water. Both are non-toxic and used in the food industry so I doubt they would be harmful but I'm not sure so someone can chime in on that if they would know. Best thing about the train stuff is you can make your engine smell like cedar, hickory, coal, pine cones, etc.
iaknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #48
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaknown View Post
Well, I just finished mine, and the design does work but it was short lived....whoever builds one of these make sure you get a SELF-LIMITING glow plug or you will be blowing glow plugs every minute. I was using a standard Ford diesel glow plug and it didn't last. I am picking up an AC-Delco #60G glow plug today, that is a standard GM diesel plug and is self limiting so it will actually limit its current when it gets too hot, not blow out. Not sure if the Mercedes or others are this type or not. Thread on the AC is 10mmx1mm, most common plugs are this metric thread. Amperage draw is roughly 10 amps but depends on the plug. I didn't have any model locomotive fluid available, but you can also use baby oil(mineral oil) in the model locomotives and that worked for me. I imagine that would be safe for our engines. As far as the stuff used in fog machines, it is supposedly straight glycol or polyol (no not antifreeze,) which is used mixed with water. Both are non-toxic and used in the food industry so I doubt they would be harmful but I'm not sure so someone can chime in on that if they would know. Best thing about the train stuff is you can make your engine smell like cedar, hickory, coal, pine cones, etc.

man I need to make one of these... how do i know if a glow plug is self limiting, any cheap one I can easily find at the car part store?
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:13 AM   #49
iaknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYC View Post
man I need to make one of these... how do i know if a glow plug is self limiting, any cheap one I can easily find at the car part store?
Just go to an autoparts store that carries AC-Delco and ask for part number 60G, that's their part number, simple enough? If they don't carry Delco they may be able to cross-reference it but I've heard other brands like Autolite aren't nearly as reliable.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #50
bobby digital

My Ride: 2005 330i
Quote:
Questions for seth (jbeurotech),
(1) what do you think about the baby oil for smoke
(2) Is there any harm that could possibly be done to the oil after using whatever form of smoke, think i would change oil after, what you think.
bobby digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:57 PM   #51
haurelio

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
I'm sorry to bring this old post, but has anybody make one of this?
haurelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #52
PreppyR6

My Ride: shines like justice
Curious as well, anyone that has, can you post a pic of your setup? Im just as retarted as some others here and cant get by with the stick-figure diagram above
Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #53
sportzphan137

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i
I'd also be interested to hear if anyone has had success with this. Thanks.
sportzphan137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #54
m5james

My Ride: 98 740iL, 01 X5
Send a message via AIM to m5james Send a message via Yahoo to m5james
Bump for wanting to see one of these as well. I've used the shop purchased kind before and considered getting one that is used for parties since, as noted on here, only requires a few pounds to work. I know the biggest thing to consider is the fogging oil, so will some of the original people on this post, please reply with your pics, results, etc.

The optimal reply would include pics, part numbers and where you purchased, etc.

Last edited by m5james; 11-19-2010 at 09:31 PM.
m5james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #55
phamine

My Ride: 01 Orient Blue 330i
Send a message via AIM to phamine Send a message via Yahoo to phamine
ttt
Old 03-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #56
xecure

My Ride: 2002 325xi, 5MT Swap
Quote:
Old thread bump, but do you have a picture of the machine you made?

** Too much for a sig - tim330i **

OMG LOOK AN E46!
xecure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #57
iaknown

Give me a few days guys and I will try and get some pics of mine. I retrofitted a pretty fancy fuel injection cleaner apparatus so mine looks a lot fancier then it has to, but you'll get the idea....
Old 03-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #58
matrix733

My Ride: 06 Escalade Ext
First I must thank jbeurotech as this has help me find several leaks that fixed some misfiring and lean codes issues. I have no more CEL nagging now.

This just a rough setup. I actually used a metal can from a juice can, you should see my wifes face when I poke a hole in it and empty the juice and told her what I needed it for. lol

Just be sure to use ACdelco 60g plug as suggested earlier, it has 10.5v stamp on the plug. I ran it continiously with no burnout issues. Also be sure to not let the entire plug get submerged into the oil, I found out it smokes more when the tip is sticking out of the oil, approx 1/2". I use a computer power supply but it has to have at least 10amps on the 12v side for it to work. You can use the car battery or a battery charger, just clip the ground to the center of the plug and attach 12v to the spade connector, it should get red hot in a few seconds.

You can get the mineral oil from walmart pretty cheap

The regulator is a must as it takes just a small amount of PSI to push this setup. Good Luck....

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by matrix733; 03-20-2011 at 09:41 PM.
matrix733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #59
wildcat293

My Ride: 325xi
this is cool as hell, def making one for the fun of it

glad it got bumped

great diy thanks!
wildcat293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #60
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

Wow I can't believe how long ago I made this thread. LOL I have pretty much given up as no one seems to pay attention they all just want the answer the code says this what do I replace ext... Its cool guys actually built them and are testing cars properly!!!!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech