E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-24-2007, 01:21 PM   #61
Richbot

My Ride: '08 Jerez Black E90
There are torque wrenches designed to be used in either direction, and they're more accurate than the click wrenches if you're competent. Good 'ol cheapo, never have to be calibrated, bar and pointer gauges are the best bet for something like that.
Spec Racer Ford #795
'04 Ram 2500
'14 F34
Richbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #62
icosaca

My Ride: BMW AA blown 325 ci
whats that torque plate for adam>???
is it for the machine work on the block to turn out perfect???
thanks
jorge saca
Old 05-24-2007, 07:56 PM   #63
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
There are torque wrenches designed to be used in either direction, and they're more accurate than the click wrenches if you're competent. Good 'ol cheapo, never have to be calibrated, bar and pointer gauges are the best bet for something like that.
I spent some time playing with a Snap On digital torque wrench recently...it takes some getting used to but it does the trick. In this case though it's a grade 8 fastener going into a steel shaft, 19 ft/lbs is probably a pretty safe # that has a lot of margin of error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icosaca View Post
whats that torque plate for adam>???
is it for the machine work on the block to turn out perfect???
thanks
jorge saca
Torque plates are used to similate the stresses caused by the head studs when the head is installed. This varies from block to block, but the result is often a more perfect cylinder bore after machining. I don't know if there is any conclusive evidence that the M54 Block needs this, but I got it to cover the bases anyway.
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #64
icosaca

how much was that???
basically it is used when machining the block to make it perfect???
jorge saca
Old 05-25-2007, 10:31 AM   #65
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Torque plates are pretty low in production. They can be pretty expensive, especially for something that you won't use very often (hopefully).

The torque plate should put your cylinders in the exact position they will be in when the engine is assembled, making boring/honing very precise. It's really going the extra mile for the DIY engine builder. Very impressive.

Quote:
how much was that???
basically it is used when machining the block to make it perfect???
jorge saca
Old 05-25-2007, 07:06 PM   #66
icosaca

i thought it be going the extra mile.........that extra mile adam usually takes......
LOL......
i hope i can get my block bored correctly......

adam...
what diff are you getting??? ive been thinking which one should i go with...
any suggestions???
jorge saca
Old 05-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #67
aggieE46
Keep it clean

I might have to hit him up to see if I can rent it from him some day
Old 05-26-2007, 01:03 AM   #68
icosaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
I might have to hit him up to see if I can rent it from him some day
what do you guys think of the stress in the threads on the block by putting studs in just for doing this???
i really dont think its necesarry...
what do you think????

by the way... AGGIEE46.... whats your name man????

jorge saca
Old 06-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #69
icosaca

any updates on this guys......
jorge saca
Old 06-15-2007, 10:46 PM   #70
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Nothing to show yet, but I have a few things planned for early August that should be fun.

Jorge,

I have a stock 2.93 and a 3.46 LSD right now, looking at getting another custom LSD from Diffsonline with either 3.91 or 4.10 gears. I won't decide on the ratio until after I see the power band of the new engine.

Do NOT torque your new head studs into the block! They are designed to be inserted finger tight, with the actual clamping force provided by the nuts against the head. If you torque the head studs into the block, you will be placing the threads on the block under too much stress...they will strip out with the head torqued down to spec. To expand on this, the threads on the block will have "X" force applied to them with JUST the stud installed. When you start torquing down the head, you will be adding more force to "X". This is the reason why most people have problems with studs pulling out in general...improper installation.

I'm not likely to "rent" or "lend" out the torque plate unless you are local to me. The shipping hassle just isn't worth it. $375 is what I paid for mine.

HP is a function of torque, and you aren't going to see much more than 230-240 rwtq out of a 3.0 liter engine. If you want to make 400 hp N/A with this engine, be prepared to spin the internals well over 8000 RPM with a camshaft that hates life under 5000 RPM. A 400 hp N/A M54B30 engine isn't going to live long, and it certainly won't be happy on the street.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:58 AM   #71
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post

I'm not likely to "rent" or "lend" out the torque plate unless you are local to me. The shipping hassle just isn't worth it. $375 is what I paid for mine.
Not bad, I was expecting the price to be higher. I'll definitely invest in one when I do mine.

Quote:
HP is a function of torque, and you aren't going to see much more than 230-240 rwtq out of a 3.0 liter engine. If you want to make 400 hp N/A with this engine, be prepared to spin the internals well over 8000 RPM with a camshaft that hates life under 5000 RPM. A 400 hp N/A M54B30 engine isn't going to live long, and it certainly won't be happy on the street.
Party pooper. Let me dream
Old 06-16-2007, 08:48 PM   #72
Greg@UniqueDesign
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:

Do NOT torque your new head studs into the block! They are designed to be inserted finger tight, with the actual clamping force provided by the nuts against the head. If you torque the head studs into the block, you will be placing the threads on the block under too much stress...they will strip out with the head torqued down to spec. To expand on this, the threads on the block will have "X" force applied to them with JUST the stud installed. When you start torquing down the head, you will be adding more force to "X". This is the reason why most people have problems with studs pulling out in general...improper installation.
The same applies for header studs I assume?
Greg@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #73
dave96dcm
It ain't cheap to be cool.

My Ride: 2002 325i
Send a message via AIM to dave96dcm
ALL studs.
dave96dcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #74
icosaca

adam, thanks for the STUD info....
i had not really read the instructions... but it explains clearly how toi install them......
i am not trying to get 400whp NA.... im keeping my 10.5psi from the rotrex blower.
jorge saca
Old 06-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #75
icosaca

where did you get a stock 2.93, and 3.46 LSD diff out off???
i at the moment have an open 3.46, and i am thinking about getting a 3.64LSD....
im still undecided if i should do the whole M3 rear and then get stock m3 diffs though....
jorge saca
Old 06-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #76
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
where did you get a stock 2.93, and 3.46 LSD diff out off???
i at the moment have an open 3.46, and i am thinking about getting a 3.64LSD....
im still undecided if i should do the whole M3 rear and then get stock m3 diffs though....
jorge saca
2.93 was stock when I bought the car.

3.46 LSD I purchased from Diffsonline.

From a cost perspective, getting a new 3.46 built is the easiest. The M3 subframe and diff will need a special driveshaft to mate with your transmission. (The M3 Transmission is longer, so it has a shorter driveshaft attached to it)

Unless you do a LOT of hard cornering under acceleration, the largest benifit to running an LSD is missed.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #77
Nick325xiT 5spd
BMW Land Barge

My Ride: '04 M3 & '99 323i
Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd
You can tell in the disassembly pictures that the engine was worked hard - it's actually clean inside.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 PM   #78
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick325xiT 5spd View Post
You can tell in the disassembly pictures that the engine was worked hard - it's actually clean inside.
I ain't Grandma.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:19 PM   #79
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
grandpa?

"You makes me sick" officer responds, "So worried about your BMW; but don't even notice your left arm is missing?"
"OMG.." lawyer replies. "Where's my Rolex?"
Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 01:18 PM   #80
ice330ci05

My Ride: 2005 330ci
Quote:
2.93 was stock when I bought the car.

3.46 LSD I purchased from Diffsonline.

From a cost perspective, getting a new 3.46 built is the easiest. The M3 subframe and diff will need a special driveshaft to mate with your transmission. (The M3 Transmission is longer, so it has a shorter driveshaft attached to it)

Unless you do a LOT of hard cornering under acceleration, the largest benifit to running an LSD is missed.
for some of us use it for donouts/drifting and having fun

anymore updates?