E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2007, 12:34 AM   #81
mkodama

What are you going to do in terms of the ECU software(unless you have already done something)?

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:06 AM   #82
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Well this is awesome. Anything special you have discovered from taking apart the engine that us fellow 330 owners would like to know? Anything to check or easily service?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:39 AM   #83
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
What are you going to do in terms of the ECU software(unless you have already done something)?
I thought I mentioned that earlier, anyway:

-ECU will initially have custom ESS software.

-I have a piggyback controller I'll use to crudely fine tune AFR for my combination.

-Eventually I'll be changing to a full stand alone setup.

I could skip directly to a stand alone though...depends on how curious I am about working with the stock DME.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Well this is awesome. Anything special you have discovered from taking apart the engine that us fellow 330 owners would like to know? Anything to check or easily service?
Aside from the oil pump nut, nothing more. Another member of this forum had some issues with his oil squirters, but he's got a rather "unique" car. (Sorry Greg, I couldn't resist) Bimmerworld is making me a set of "Bling Bling" billet oil squirters just in case.

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 07-23-2007 at 02:42 AM.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 03:36 AM   #84
Greg@UniqueDesign
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
Aside from the oil pump nut, nothing more. Another member of this forum had some issues with his oil squirters, but he's got a rather "unique" car. (Sorry Greg, I couldn't resist) Bimmerworld is making me a set of "Bling Bling" billet oil squirters just in case.
HAHA, aren't you glad I made you spend another $500?
Greg@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:49 AM   #85
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
You can now ask people, "Where's the bling?" They will never guess the oil squirters. This will be a bigger challenge than trying to find Waldo.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:51 AM   #86
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@UniqueDesign View Post
HAHA, aren't you glad I made you spend another $500?
Just covering the bases...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
You can now ask people, "Where's the bling?" They will never guess the oil squirters. This will be a bigger challenge than trying to find Waldo.
Hopefully, no one will ever get to see them.

I PM'd you about something.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #87
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

I've got a vehicle full of goodies and I'm heading back up the eastern seaboard of the US to Canada.

Should be home in 2 days...will post pictures then.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:36 PM   #88
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
I really like it that someone is doing a serious NA build of the M54. But I'm slightly curious, why the strong bottom end and high revving aspirations if your schricks wont see more power outside of the factory rev range. It's not like porting the heads will raise your power peak by more than a few hundred rpm, in which case, I'm sure that 7k would probably still be more than enough. I'd really like to see your motor with its high end bottom end running a cam spec'd more aggresively than the s54's. If you choose to run with the schricks we share (best shifted in my experience no later than 6500), I'd recommend that you not stiffen the valve springs much beyond stock. Why have to deal with more parasitic power loss without receiving more power? Now, I'd love to see you rev well past that, but I'd hope that it would be with a cam that produces power in that range.
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #89
Racer XXX

My Ride: anything fast
congrats!

Bimmerworld is top notch.

I would be careful with VAC parts though.

2005 e46 M3 (under the knife for BMW CCA CM - 2008)
Spec Miata - gone to a good home
Racer XXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #90
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
I really like it that someone is doing a serious NA build of the M54. But I'm slightly curious, why the strong bottom end and high revving aspirations if your schricks wont see more power outside of the factory rev range. It's not like porting the heads will raise your power peak by more than a few hundred rpm, in which case, I'm sure that 7k would probably still be more than enough. I'd really like to see your motor with its high end bottom end running a cam spec'd more aggresively than the s54's. If you choose to run with the schricks we share (best shifted in my experience no later than 6500), I'd recommend that you not stiffen the valve springs much beyond stock. Why have to deal with more parasitic power loss without receiving more power? Now, I'd love to see you rev well past that, but I'd hope that it would be with a cam that produces power in that range.
I had planned to explore the limits of the M54 one bottleneck at a time, but I'm now ditching that idea. Stay tuned for some really cool stuff. (The valvetrain plans you will like)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer XXX View Post
congrats!

Bimmerworld is top notch.

I would be careful with VAC parts though.
Thank you.

My experience with Bimmerworld has been the same.

VAC has been disapointing at times, but they do offer products not easily available anywhere else.

Pictures coming shortly...I've got some updates.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:10 AM   #91
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Say hello to my new exhaust system from Kromer Kraft/Bimmerworld:

The muffler is from an E46 World Challenge car.

Airflow should be acceptable.

The complete exhaust laid out still in bubble wrap:

The header is shipped with the primary tubes disassembled. Due to the design of the header, it's best to install the primary tubes one at a time.

CNC head flanges:

FYI, the finish is a ceramic coating to reduce radiant heat which was done to every piece of the exhaust right back to the muffler.

Collector for 3 primary tubes:

Old 08-15-2007, 12:34 AM   #92
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

The middle section of the exhaust is ovalized to maximize ground clearance. Each section is joined to another with a CNC flange plate:

I decided to compare the Kromer Kraft headers to the Technik Engineering headers I used previously. The first thing that I noticed, was the difference in primary tube shape and size at the head flange.

I then measured the port size on a stock head and found that the Kromer Kraft header is almost exactly the same shape and size. The Technik Engineering header in contrast has a larger flange opening at the head.

The differences don't stop there. The Technik Engineering header uses 1 or 2 peices of the same sized tubing to form each header primary. The Kromer Kraft header uses 3 different sizes of tubing to form a true "stepped" primary. The advantage of this is high port velocities close to the head, and lower back pressure as gases move away from the head.

A keen eye will have picked up that while the size of the opening at the head flange for the Technic Engineering header is larger than the Kromer Kraft header, the primary pipe sizes are within 0.5mm of each other. (This applies to just the first section of primary tubing for the KK header, as it steps from 37.5mm to 40mm to 43.5mm through it's length. The Technic Engineering primaries are 38mm for their entire length)

And of course, I couldn't resist weighing my new exhaust:

For those that can't see well, from the headers back weighs 45 Lbs.

My old TSE3 with cats installed (Pictured below) weighed in at 64 Lbs. The stock exhaust system (without cats installed) weighs 69 Lbs.

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 08-15-2007 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #93
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Back to the engine itself. New billet aluminum oil squirter next to stock oil squirter:

Closeup shots:

I arranged the following photo to show the billet pieces from all angles and to show the stock squirter for scale:

Old 08-15-2007, 09:04 AM   #94
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Couple of pictures of the engine disassembly process before the block is sent to be machined:

I couldn't resist:

Test fitting new oil squirters:

Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 AM   #95
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Not specifically "engine" related, but it is part of the "drivetrain"; I got a new transmission from Bimmerworld.

This transmission is a result of developements in their World Challenge program, where a new transmission is rebuilt with polished internals. The result is smooth and fast shifts with a reduction in drivetrain loss of between 2-3%. I can't wait to try it:

For some reason I thought this transmission was "light", but after weighing it to find it to be 77 Lbs empty, I think it's all in my head.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:57 PM   #96
Greg@UniqueDesign
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330Ci
Those are some blinging oil squirters! I'm sure you know this, but double check the piston skirt for clearance against the new oil squirters. I also looked at the KK headers but ended up going with Technik Gen 3's.
Greg@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 PM   #97
mkodama

Wow, you're really going all out on this engine! I take it that your car won't be anything close to street legal with an exhaust like that? All of those racing specific parts look incredible.

Good luck with the incredible work!

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:11 PM   #98
Ervin87

My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
Very nice.

Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #99
05M3SMG

My Ride: bmw drop top
Send a message via AIM to 05M3SMG
Wow very interesting thread(subscribed), when do you expect to have this all done?
05M3SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 PM   #100
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@UniqueDesign View Post
Those are some blinging oil squirters! I'm sure you know this, but double check the piston skirt for clearance against the new oil squirters. I also looked at the KK headers but ended up going with Technik Gen 3's.
I'm doing final assembly, so it's something I'll keep an eye on. FYI, KK made everything from the headers right back to the silencer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Wow, you're really going all out on this engine! I take it that your car won't be anything close to street legal with an exhaust like that? All of those racing specific parts look incredible.

Good luck with the incredible work!
Thanks. The car will be street legal, I have another exhaust (with Cats) that will be modifid to fit the KK headers. The pile of race parts makes it very tempting to change my plans, but I have to keep the car street legal for Targa Newfoundland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervin87 View Post
Very nice.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05M3SMG View Post
Wow very interesting thread(subscribed), when do you expect to have this all done?
I'm hoping to have the car ready for testing early next spring.