E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #1
Transporter99

My Ride: Audi A5 3.2/6MT
Talk me IN to 19" wheels...

**edit; Title should have been "Talk me IN to 19" wheels." **

Okay (I may get flamed for this), I'm looking at a specific wheel in 19x8.5 (non-staggered). However, recently, I've been questioning the logic of 19" wheels, and going with 18" (or even sticking with my stock 17"). Those reasons have been ranging from potential strain on suspension components, more work for the drivetrain in general, more prone to bends, etc. How many are true, I don't know. Just concerns.

The roads here ROUGH in areas. Just due to the moisture in the asphalt buckling the road. And of course, craters...I mean pot-holes. And, this is my daily driver and I have concerns over a very harsh (or potentially harsh) ride.

Am I over thinking this? Will there be little difference in going to an 18?

I have all these "responsible" reasons for going with 18" wheels.....but I keep thinking about the look of 19's!

I'm torn. Can anyone share your experience with large-diameter wheels, daily driving, regrets, etc? Thanks!!

Last edited by Transporter99; 02-22-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Transporter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
blp88

My Ride: 325i
I got the 19's, originally I was getting 18's but got talked into 19's. They absolutly look better but thats it. I regret not keeping the same/better weight as my stock rims, and personally I regret getting rims at all, im almost over the whole modding thing. I can tell that the 19's seem to be putting more stress on the car itself, like going over bumps etc. But..you live and learn...do what your gut tells you!..oh and I wish I would have gone oem...just cause I like the stock look..you should check out the 18" zhp's or staggered csl reps..good luck

Mtech~19's & 17's~two-tone interior~tint~lip spoiler~sat radio~perf. zhp steering wheel~euro plate~h&r~debadged~clears~more less important things :)
blp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter99 View Post
**edit; Title should have been "Talk me IN to 19" wheels." **

Okay (I may get flamed for this), I'm looking at a specific wheel in 19x8.5 (non-staggered). However, recently, I've been questioning the logic of 19" wheels, and going with 18" (or even sticking with my stock 17"). Those reasons have been ranging from potential strain on suspension components, more work for the drivetrain in general, more prone to bends, etc. How many are true, I don't know. Just concerns.

The roads here ROUGH in areas. Just due to the moisture in the asphalt buckling the road. And of course, craters...I mean pot-holes. And, this is my daily driver and I have concerns over a very harsh (or potentially harsh) ride.

Am I over thinking this? Will there be little difference in going to an 18?

I have all these "responsible" reasons for going with 18" wheels.....but I keep thinking about the look of 19's!

I'm torn. Can anyone share your experience with large-diameter wheels, daily driving, regrets, etc? Thanks!!
The decision is purely up to you - if you are even thinking about 19s, get 19s. I've seen too many people "settle" for 18s and wish they made the jump for 19s at that time - it's an expensive decision if not made correctly the first time.

With any large size wheel - just be careful and pay attention to the road when driving and enjoy the increased handling.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Transporter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The decision is purely up to you - if you are even thinking about 19s, get 19s. I've seen too many people "settle" for 18s and wish they made the jump for 19s at that time - it's an expensive decision if not made correctly the first time.

With any large size wheel - just be careful and pay attention to the road when driving and enjoy the increased handling.
I totally hear what you're saying.

But what about the strain to the suspension, like what Brad was saying above? I drive quite a bit (50K miles in 2.5 years) and lets be real, I'm having a hard time convincing myself 19's would be the best in that scenario.

Heck, for all I know the guys on this board with 19's drive 5-6K miles a year or less and will never see the potential suspension strain I could see driving more.

And from those I've talked to...particularly if I plan on even a moderate drop...suspension failure will be sped-up exponentially with my level of daily (95% highway) driving.

Am I just looking too far into this, or is my gripe legitimate?

Will 18" wheels do the same thing as 19" wheels (regarding the creation of suspension strain, etc).

Old 02-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #5
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:

But what about the strain to the suspension, like what Brad was saying above? I drive quite a bit (50K miles in 2.5 years) and lets be real, I'm having a hard time convincing myself 19's would be the best in that scenario.

Heck, for all I know the guys on this board with 19's drive 5-6K miles a year or less and will never see the potential suspension strain I could see driving more.

And from those I've talked to...particularly if I plan on even a moderate drop...suspension failure will be sped-up exponentially with my level of daily (95% highway) driving.

Will 18" wheels do the same thing as 19" wheels (regarding the creation of suspension strain, etc).

I would say a little of both, but not to worry - you are being cautious.

You're correct - stiffer parts will place more strain on the chassis, but not even remotely close to an unsafe level. I would not worry about suspension failure on a street driven vehicle, most people on the boards are running modified setups with no problems at all.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
DrkMnX

My Ride: 330Ci old, ///M3 new
Quote:

I was stuck with the same dilemma when I was deciding on new wheels for my old 330Ci. I was initially set on getting 19's cuz of the look and the pimp factor but my buddy knocked some sense into me so I went with 18's instead. My old car was used as a daily as well and the roads here are pretty crappy too. Also, since I put a lot of miles on my car it was cheaper to replace tires for 18's and 18's generally get you better gas mileage. At the end of the day going with 18's was more practical in every way. However, now that I got a M3 and it is not used as my daily I have 19's on it
DrkMnX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Transporter99

Quote:
I would say a little of both, but not to worry - you are being cautious.

You're correct - stiffer parts will place more strain on the chassis, but not even remotely close to an unsafe level. I would not worry about suspension failure on a street driven vehicle, most people on the boards are running modified setups with no problems at all.
Okay, sounds good. I did notice that during my 2 years on this board (and knowing the tendancies of many to B**ch and moan about ANY little thing) I don't hear of many (if any) complaints about wheel choices affecting their suspension.

I guess I like looking at all the potential variables, etc. I just don't want to get attached to something that'll create a financial mess (ie, replacing my suspension, lol). But realizing, I don't seem to hear any of those issues...

Thanks again, Tom.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkMnX View Post
I was stuck with the same dilemma when I was deciding on new wheels for my old 330Ci. I was initially set on getting 19's cuz of the look and the pimp factor but my buddy knocked some sense into me so I went with 18's instead. My old car was used as a daily as well and the roads here are pretty crappy too. Also, since I put a lot of miles on my car it was cheaper to replace tires for 18's and 18's generally get you better gas mileage. At the end of the day going with 18's was more practical in every way. However, now that I got a M3 and it is not used as my daily I have 19's on it
The price difference between 18s and 19s is a very valid point that wasn't even brought up. Be sure to pick something within your budget.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:25 PM   #9
Transporter99

Quote:
The price difference between 18s and 19s is a very valid point that wasn't even brought up. Be sure to pick something within your budget.
Absolutely. Well, that was a factor all along but not major. I've learned on mods from my past cars to approach any and everything with caution. Justified? I think so. I don't want a right brained purchase to turn into on my left side, lol! But I've been eyeing wheels for a while now. I just needed to hear that getting 19" wheels wouldn't end my car's existance as I knew it.

One last question. Would you consider 27lbs per wheel heavy/medium for a 19" wheel? I thought that wasn't too far from my stock 17" (in my sig). Yeah, I was thinking about the whole "affecting my acceleration" thing as well. Hopefully my new 3.15 will cure that if it does.

Hey, my 1000th post, lol.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:32 PM   #10
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Absolutely. Well, that was a factor all along but not major. I've learned on mods from my past cars to approach any and everything with caution. Justified? I think so. I don't want a right brained purchase to turn into on my left side, lol! But I've been eyeing wheels for a while now. I just needed to hear that getting 19" wheels wouldn't end my car's existance as I knew it.

One last question. Would you consider 27lbs per wheel heavy/medium for a 19" wheel? I thought that wasn't too far from my stock 17" (in my sig). Yeah, I was thinking about the whole "affecting my acceleration" thing as well. Hopefully my new 3.15 will cure that if it does.

Hey, my 1000th post, lol.
I would consider 27lbs to be on the heavier side, tire brand plays an important factor in weight that most don't even think about. This is a huge reason why we also list tire weights in our CSL Wheel/Tire packages.

Heavy wheels not only affect acceleration, but steering and braking also.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #11
Transporter99

Quote:
I would consider 27lbs to be on the heavier side, tire brand plays an important factor in weight that most don't even think about. This is a huge reason why we also list tire weights in our CSL Wheel/Tire packages.

Heavy wheels not only affect acceleration, but steering and braking also.
good deal. That makes sense.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:14 PM   #12
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Everyone that gets 18s usually end up getting 19s eventually, its inevitable.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #13
Transporter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
Everyone that gets 18s usually end up getting 19s eventually, its inevitable.
Well, my car wants to be like your car when she grows up!

True. I've heard maybe 20:1 comments of guys getting 18's and wanting 19's later vs. guys wanting rid 19's for 18's. Though...I understand fully what Blp88 was saying originally. Besides, I'll only be running them spring & summer & part of the fall. Then loading on the 16" TSW winter setup.

I guess the worst thing that'll happen is I don't like them, I can always sell them, lol. Not like I'm painting my car fuchsia, Lol.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:22 PM   #14
Jeuprx-8

My Ride: rolls only Michelins
I have had over 10 sets of wheels and think 18 is the best size for an E46 non-M. 18 on a non-M is like 19 on an M. MY opinion though.
Jeuprx-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:31 PM   #15
Transporter99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeuprx-8 View Post
I have had over 10 sets of wheels and think 18 is the best size for an E46 non-M. 18 on a non-M is like 19 on an M. MY opinion though.
Hmmmm....

Old 02-22-2007, 11:33 PM   #16
knuts

My Ride: 328ci
i would have never gone with either 18 or 19's - They crack and bend easily, I hit one pot hole and bent a rim and blew out a side wall. I would have gone with a good looking 17 in rim instead of either. If you do get 18 inch rims make sure they are not a 35 series - they are a pain to find good tires for!!

2000 328ci - 5spd
Remus exhaust
hp evo 18's 2 inch lip in the front 3 inch lip in the back
Drilled rotors
eibach lowering springs
DEPO clear corners and tail lights
knuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:01 AM   #17
phil_b

My Ride: 330ci sport
I just went up from 18's to 19's on my 330. no difference in ride quality/feel that i can notice. Just a tiny bit more tyre noise (but that's of course due to the tyres - could get quieter ones).

I cant see how a half inch less 'top and bottom' of tyre wall will dramatically speed up the deterioration of your suspension. The additional strain is minimal. In my case it is at least. Surely BMW would pre-plan for the eventuality that some will go up to 19's... My 330 is the m-sport so the suss is a bit tougher i guess. going from 17's to 19's on a non-sport might be a bit different but not hugely.

anyhow. even if you suspension does reach the end of its life a bit quicker, you can just go the koni FSD/eibach spring route to replace and you have a nice tight ride

either way, you wont be making a mistake. 18's still look awesome, and prehaps slightly more in proportion to the E46 body shape IMO.

P.S I do similar mileage to you, mostly freeway/motorway.
phil_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:23 AM   #18
surfquikslver

My Ride: 328ci
Doesnt look like you have suspension YET....so id go with 19's. Youll still be able to lower it, you will probably have to roll your rear fenders(not a big deal)
id deff. go with 19's......youll like 18s for a week and then you will wish you went bigger.

Soon to come....m3 or turbo?
surfquikslver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:15 AM   #19
StylGryCi

My Ride: looks fast but isn't
Get 19's, they will be fine. They cost you a few bucks a year in gas mileage, and the ride IS stiffer, but neither is at all intolerable. Is it the most practical mod you could do... definately not. Does it completely transform the look of your ride and make it stand out as your own... hell yea.

I don't know how else to say it.

*back on stock 17s, so sad.
StylGryCi is offline   Reply With Quote