E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
jon323i

My Ride: 2000 323i SP&PP
Install w/ pics: Radio Upgrade / Aux Input for iPod / XM Direct : 2000 323i

Hey everyone. I know this is a common upgrade, but I couldn't find any thread dedicated to it here. I am posting this to add to all of the other DIY's here to that if any does this in the future, they will have it available as a reference.

Now the high today where I live was 25 degrees, so I only did the radio upgrade + aux input today. Tomorrow I will do the XM Install and post pics.

Concept
Upgrade my stock HK system w/ cassette headunit to a newer 9/02+ Business CD headunit with Aux input. Also, I want to add XM for some added variety. I do a ton of road trips, so music in my car is very important to me.

Products Used
Used Business CD Headunit. Production Date 8/03. - $190 (e46fanatics classifieds)
Aux Input Cable - $39 (EAS)
Male to Male Aux Cable - $5 (EAS)
Antenna Adapter - $29 (EAS)
Glovebox Auxiliary Power Adaptor - $9 (EAS)
iPod car charger - $7 (eBay seller ryans_electronics)
XM Direct System - $85 (e46fanatics classifieds)

Total - a little under $375 after shipping and all

Why did I get the glovebox 12v auxillary power adapter? I have a Garmin iQue 3600 for navigation and it uses the cigarette lighter 12v, so I need to have another 12v cigarette outlet to plug in the iPod when necessary.

Why didn't I get the DICE integration for my iPod? My personal opinion is that giving up your CD changer just so you can control your iPod from your steering wheel is a bit rediculous. Especially when you look at the installation process and $150 pricetag vs all upfront install and $40. Do you really drag your iPod around with you on every time you get in your car? No. And it always seems like the radio has nothing on you want to hear. So for me, CD Changer HAS to stay.

Installation Process - my interior is dirty as hell I know
1 - Remove Dash Trim

Use a rag-covered flathead screwdriver just so you don't risk any scratches or marks from a screwdriver. I've never done this before, but it was easy and its literally impossible to break anything.

2 - Remove Headunit Screws

Remove the 2 screws that hold the stock headunit into place. Pull the headunit out.

3 - Disconnect Wiring Harness Clip

The headunits wiring harness will not let you pull it too far out of the dash. It's quite annoying, but not insurmountable. Take the hint on the clip. Put a screwdriver under it and pry up. Once you can fit your fingers in, pull up with them. This was personally a ***** to pull off, just so you know, you can't really be too hard with it if you are using your fingers. Once you remove the clip, remove the two other wires going to the back of the stock headunit.

4 - Pull Headunit Out Completely

5 - Pull Auxiliary Plugs Retaining Clip

If you are facing the harness, on its right, you'll see a blue clip, just use a screwdriver and pull it out. This will loosen your stock CD changer clip, but you have to remove it to install the aux plug.

6 - Install Auxiliary Plug

Install the auxiliary plug into the right hand port of the radio (if you were looking from the back). In this pic, the gray is the aux plug, the white is the CD changer plug. Once they are flush with the top pinout, insert the blue retaining clip again.

7 - Install Antenna Adapter

The antenna adapter plugs into the larger of the 2 'other' wires that you disconnect from your stock headunit. The smaller wire does not get reconnected to the newer headunit. The picture should clear up any confusion. Slide the new headunit back into the dash before the mods see who you bought it from.

***TIME OUT***
Test Everything RIGHT NOW - Make sure all of your stuff works and look for loose connections if not.

Back to the Install...
The OEM auxiliary kit recommends that you install the aux port into the glovebox. I'm going to be honest, I tried to remove the full glovebox for about 30 minutes.. I couldn't find all the screws or something. Either way, I had seen the aux port just installed where the DSC/Audio buttons are, so I just decided to go that way. I'm all for the OEM install, but it was getting pretty freakin cold outside and I wasn't wasting any more time. I'm impartial to where the port is as long as it works.

This is how to install the aux port into the car's buttons area.

8 - Remove Shift Boot

To remove the shift boot, just squeeze in on the sides of the boot. It will come out.

9 - Remove Two Gearshift Trim Screws

There are just 2 screws holding down the gearshift trim. Once you remove the shift boot, you'll see them at the bottom of the trim panel.

10 - Remove Storage Compartment and Middle Trim Screws

Once you pull up the gearshift trim, you will see 2 more screws to remove just below the ashtray. To get the top 2 screws off so that you can remove the panel, just pull out the top storage compartment. Just moderate force will do. The picture for this shows me removing one of the top screws.

11 - (Optional) Move Buttons Around

Once you pull the middle trim piece out, you can get your hands up behind the button panel and you can just push outward and they will come out. Just disconnect the wires going to each button and move it to a different spot. I wanted to.. so I did.

12 - Drill Hole For Aux Input

Use a 1/4" drill bit and drill a hole. What you can then do is route the aux cable from your headunit area down behind the climate controls and down to the buttons panel.

13 - Screw On Aux Input Cap & Reinstall All Pieces

This will tighten onto the aux input cable. After you do this, start to reinstall all of your stuff in the reverse order.

14 - Rock the Casbah

TO BE CONTINUED.. TOMORROW - XM DIRECT KIT
jon323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #2
bungle

My Ride: aristo
i also did what you did how do i get the radio to reconize the ipod.i press the mode button and press the ipod nothing please let me know.i also have the oem wires.thanksssssssss
bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
very cool. awesome DIY.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #4
jon323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungle View Post
i also did what you did how do i get the radio to reconize the ipod.i press the mode button and press the ipod nothing please let me know.i also have the oem wires.thanksssssssss

as long as you have the aux input wire attached to the headunit.. cycle thru the Modes until you see Aux
Old 02-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
ikeupinya
Stay modded my friends!!!

My Ride: shalt not be riced!!
Great idea for the location of the AUX Input, I should've done that when I installed mine last week. It was a pain in the azz routing the cable from the headunit to the glove compartment. Ended up cutting my finger multiple times from whatever was above/inside the glovebox
Old 02-25-2007, 07:00 AM   #6
jon323i

yeah I love how the OEM Aux instructions just say 'Remove the Glovebox' like its some easy task. Yeah removing the glovebox LID is, but the actual glovebox... forget it!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:38 AM   #7
xPhantom

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 (TiAg)
Send a message via AIM to xPhantom
that's exactly where i want to mount an AUX input.
is it easy to route the wire from the headunit behind the climate controls and down to the buttons panel?
xPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
jon323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPhantom View Post
that's exactly where i want to mount an AUX input.
is it easy to route the wire from the headunit behind the climate controls and down to the buttons panel?
yeah if you have the headunit pulled and the dash stuff pulled (pic10), the climate control unit isnt as deep as the headunit is, so you can just slide the aux cable down behind there and you'll see it go to where the sunglasses holder was removed, just pull it down and mount it up!

You end up w/ a decent amount of extra cable because of the short distance vs the glovebox method. I just pushed it in behind the climate control unit since it has that extra space. Everything mounted back up flush and stock-looking.

Last edited by jon323i; 02-25-2007 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #9
Adenosinebambam

My Ride: My Ride
Very nice.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:09 PM   #10
jon323i

XM Time!

I headed indoors for most of this install, so some of the pics may be dark. We have a pretty sweet icey rain today, so I didn't feel like getting pelted with that while I tried to install XM.

1 - Remove Trunk Base

2 - Remove Taillight Backing & Trunk Trim

There are only 2 pressure snaps that hold the drivers side trunk trim on. I just pulled it back to get the work done.

3 - Remove Storage Tray and CD Changer

You have to remove the storage tray first and the changer second. Just remove the 4 8mm screws that hold each on.

4 - Disconnect the 3pin and 6pin Plugs From the CD Changer

I had some trouble with the smaller 3pin one, but I'm sure I was doing something stupid.

5 - Connect the Blitzsafe Adapter to the CD Changer and OEM Audio Harness

Just connect the 3pin & 6pin connectors to the Blitzsafe adapter that comes w/ the XM Direct kit. Then connect the Blitzsafe's connections to the OEM CD Changer

6 - Install the XM Receiver

I found that if you put the receiver up just under the rear speaker deck that it picks up signal just fine. I like it that way because it is a totally stealth install.

7 - Secure the XM Receiver

I put a barrier on the hole to avoid any 'signal leakage'

8 - Secure the Receiver Wire to the Body

And here begins my campaign for DuctTape your BMW....

9 - Stow Away the Extra Receiver Wiring

Again.. no shortage of ducttape

10 - Secure the XM Unit

I just didn't want the XM unit flopping around in the area below the CD Changer mount, so I zip tied it to the mount and I drilled a hole in the storage tray and rap a zip tie through that as well.

11 - Reassemble

VIDEO LINK
CD Changer - XM - Aux - FM Radio

Overall, I am SO HAPPY with this setup for really all the more $$$ I paid. The extra music flexibility rocks!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 06:37 PM   #11
jon323i

This is what it looks like now... and to think just 2 days ago it was a crappy stock cassette system

Old 02-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #12
romeof1

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to romeof1
Awesome DIY... thanks for the help!
romeof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:47 PM   #13
jon323i

if you do the install and need anything, always feel free to PM me!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:01 PM   #14
ikeupinya
Stay modded my friends!!!

My Ride: shalt not be riced!!
Great DIY install thread, did my XM Direct 2 years ago & then my AUX input 2 weeks ago!!!
Old 02-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
Mikeee46coupe

My Ride: IS ON DPE's
Great write up bro...except "Rock the casbah" is now stuck in my head

DPE Wheels, H&R, M3 Interior...way too many mods to list.

Last edited by Mikeee46coupe; 02-28-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Mikeee46coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:35 PM   #16
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Great DIY! I'm going to recommend ditching the AUX cable and getting this instead:

iPod 3.5mm to Dock Connector Cable
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=885

This allows you to grab the low level signal from the dock connector of the iPod making for cleaner sound.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #17
jon323i

damn.. looks like that cable was added to your site on 2/21. I bought all my stuff from you guys in January I think... and I definitely don't remember seeing that.

I'm happy enough w/ the regular aux cable.. but maybe my ears will get better over time and I'll want that better sound.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #18
luckysnafu

My Ride: e90 330i|87 328(m52)
Great write up man. Quick question, how do you change stations on XM? I have an XM direct box like yours but I have to use the XM commander to change the channels, can you do it through the business cd player? I would like to get rid of the commander and integrate it into the head unit if I could. I have an old cd player and would buy a new one like you did. Thanks.
luckysnafu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #19
jon323i

since the newer headunit comes ready for Sirius, the XM is fundamentally the same thing. Once you get the new CD player you just adjust it w/ the < > buttons and you can save presets just like you do radio stations.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:06 PM   #20
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon323i View Post
since the newer headunit comes ready for Sirius, the XM is fundamentally the same thing. Once you get the new CD player you just adjust it w/ the < > buttons and you can save presets just like you do radio stations.
Also text display!
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote