E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #121
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Absolutley no point to cross drilled/slotted rotors on the E46, aside from looks.

You will actually brake worse, and have less pad to disc contact.
When you experience stock brake fade, you will change your mind.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #122
Wickedly

My Ride: BMW 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
Absolutley no point to cross drilled/slotted rotors on the E46, aside from looks.

You will actually brake worse, and have less pad to disc contact.
So you recommend the OEM plain look?
Wickedly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:03 AM   #123
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavi330i View Post
When you experience stock brake fade, you will change your mind.
I have never experienced such a thing, and I drive my car hard enough. Then again it is a 325 with smaller brakes, so how hard can I really drive it? Maybe on a dedicated track car, yes. But at that point you should be looking at big brake kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
So you recommend the OEM plain look?
Yes. Brembo/Zimmerman discs, and textar/pagid/jurid pads.

Read more here: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=937983

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpgolf1 View Post
The e46 M3 is by far the most boring and worst M3 that BMW has made to date.
It's amazing to me that a non M E46 is such a beautiful car but the E46 M has never done much for me.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #124
Wickedly

Thanks, Will look it up
Old 08-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #125
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01drop3naquarter View Post
Well Said .. Thanks for your post ... I was Up in the Air about what to get with my E46 ..In the Past with my E39 i Always went with Blank ATE Or Zimmerman Rotors -- and Wagner Thermoquiet Pads and Never Ever had Problems ... So With My e46 I was Thinking of getting The Pretty Cross drilled rotors ...Since I Drive The Car Like a old man most of the time I rarely heat up the brakes .. i always thought the OEM setup was great to begin with ... Thanks again For your insight.
Willie
One, you said, "good point," to a post that has been sleeping for almost three years.

Two, I think the general concensus is that for a daily driver that trudges up and down the freeway taking you to the office, there is not much point in slotted and drilled rotors.

I put slotted and drilled rotors, four of them, on my E36. I never approach the limits of braking performance, so I did it for looks. The looks are good, and that part of the decision works out pretty well. I will not be doing this again, and when the pads finally wear out I will be going back to the standard rotors. I find the slots and holes -- I'm pretty sure the slots are the primary problem -- are very noisey. There is a clicking noise, like putting a playing card in the spokes of your bike as a kid.

So, get slotted and drilled rotors if you want a cool look, but you will probably never use them for any sort of performance upgrade, and you won't be aware of any difference in braking performance -- either improved or degraded. If you get drilled rotors, you really want the holes to be cast, not drilled. There are lots of brake improvements that you can make for improved performance and still have smooth-surfaced rotors.

If you are looking to slotted and cross drilled rotors specifically to enhance braking performance to meet the demands of the track, you need to do considerable homework. If you are driving to work everyday, then you can have a better look with slotted and crossdrilled rotors. I have mine purely for the look, and it's not worth it. The cost was no different, so I'm not out any money, but the comfort (noise) is degraded, and that makes them a bad choice. Perhaps I am my own worst enemy, and I put them on the wrong side of the car, and this causes the noise, but I looked at several Porsches and Mercedes AMGs to see how the hole pattern goes, and matched. Actually, I discovered that the holes/slots can be orientated slanted toward the front or the rear, and I decided that I would install mine with the slant to the front. I suspect now that a consideration for the orientation has something to do with the angle that the slots meet with the pads because if the slots and pads are parallel lines, then the pads will bounce over the edge of the slots and this can produce the clicking noises.

If you are racing the car, do more homework. If you are like the other 99.999% of the human race, then go for style if you want -- the performance difference is negligible, either for improvements or degradations.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #126
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Assuming the slots are what makes the noise on my car, get cross drilled rotors and forget about having them slotted.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #127
IrunBimmer

My Ride: 323i
Slotted are made to cool off your rotors. With many of the 3-series like most people said here its more for show. Your breaks will heat up but not that much
IrunBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #128
IrunBimmer

Brakes*
Old 08-15-2012, 02:56 PM   #129
Wickedly

How about just Cross Drilled Rotors?

this are slotted rotors right?

And of course, this are both

But OEM will look like this
Old 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #130
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
One, you said, "good point," to a post that has been sleeping for almost three years.

Two, I think the general concensus is that for a daily driver that trudges up and down the freeway taking you to the office, there is not much point in slotted and drilled rotors.

I put slotted and drilled rotors, four of them, on my E36. I never approach the limits of braking performance, so I did it for looks. The looks are good, and that part of the decision works out pretty well. I will not be doing this again, and when the pads finally wear out I will be going back to the standard rotors. I find the slots and holes -- I'm pretty sure the slots are the primary problem -- are very noisey. There is a clicking noise, like putting a playing card in the spokes of your bike as a kid.

So, get slotted and drilled rotors if you want a cool look, but you will probably never use them for any sort of performance upgrade, and you won't be aware of any difference in braking performance -- either improved or degraded. If you get drilled rotors, you really want the holes to be cast, not drilled. There are lots of brake improvements that you can make for improved performance and still have smooth-surfaced rotors.

If you are looking to slotted and cross drilled rotors specifically to enhance braking performance to meet the demands of the track, you need to do considerable homework. If you are driving to work everyday, then you can have a better look with slotted and crossdrilled rotors. I have mine purely for the look, and it's not worth it. The cost was no different, so I'm not out any money, but the comfort (noise) is degraded, and that makes them a bad choice. Perhaps I am my own worst enemy, and I put them on the wrong side of the car, and this causes the noise, but I looked at several Porsches and Mercedes AMGs to see how the hole pattern goes, and matched. Actually, I discovered that the holes/slots can be orientated slanted toward the front or the rear, and I decided that I would install mine with the slant to the front. I suspect now that a consideration for the orientation has something to do with the angle that the slots meet with the pads because if the slots and pads are parallel lines, then the pads will bounce over the edge of the slots and this can produce the clicking noises.

If you are racing the car, do more homework. If you are like the other 99.999% of the human race, then go for style if you want -- the performance difference is negligible, either for improvements or degradations.
^ this

\thread
Old 08-15-2012, 03:56 PM   #131
IrunBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedly View Post
How about just Cross Drilled Rotors?

this are slotted rotors right?

And of course, this are both

But OEM will look like this
Buy whatever is cheapest. Their all good. Do it yourself too shops will charge to much
Old 08-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #132
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
I have a set of used oem rotors ill sell you for dirt cheep. there fine, I just swapped them for drilled slotted
Old 08-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #133
InZain08

My Ride: 330ci
I just bought a set of Cross Drilled rotors from r1concepts' premium line along with some new posiquiet pads and SS lines from stoptech. Haven't installed them yet but I don't expect any type of failure from them as I don't drive my car around town like I might on the track. Just hope for the best I suppose!
InZain08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:25 PM   #134
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by InZain08 View Post
I just bought a set of Cross Drilled rotors from r1concepts' premium line along with some new posiquiet pads and SS lines from stoptech. Haven't installed them yet but I don't expect any type of failure from them as I don't drive my car around town like I might on the track. Just hope for the best I suppose!
So you're only 50% sure they won't fail? Not bad odds I guess. They're just brakes, afterall!

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 05:40 PM   #135
InZain08

Nothing is ever set in stone. I have full confidence in my abilities to properly install these parts on my car. I'm sure many manufacturers have had quality control issues in the past and I'm not entirely ruling out that possibility.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:44 PM   #136
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Nothing is ever set in stone. I have full confidence in my abilities to properly install these parts on my car. I'm sure many manufacturers have had quality control issues in the past and I'm not entirely ruling out that possibility.
Cornbread Racing Kamikaze F1 R1 RS-R Type-R Concept Racing Illusion MAXSPEED V1 brake rotors

vs.

Brembo/ATE/Zimmerman/BMW

You decide.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #137
InZain08

Already did. I'll let everyone know how the fitment and installation goes along with a test drive
Old 08-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #138
Mango
A full five stars, son

Quote:
Already did. I'll let everyone know how the fitment and installation goes along with a test drive
Of course they'll fit and stop your car. That won't qualify as a review, and really says nothing about the quality of the parts. Believe me, we've been down this road before.

Don't ever skimp on brakes.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Old 08-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #139
Patton323I

My Ride: R1100GS E46 E53
Mine are stop-tech Cross drilled and slotted. Got them from Turner Motorsport for like $180 for just the front set. But they have a warranty and are a known brand. I am pleased.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #140
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
glad to see this thread bumped
i think before summer of next year i'll be going cross drilled/slotted (for looks of course)
would you guys suggest brembo or stoptech? i'll be using Akebono pads, have had them since i bought the car a few years ago and love them.
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote