E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 08:54 PM   #1
damonchoy

My Ride: 2004 330ci M-Sport
Bro truck tries to race me, nearly crashes, caught on video!

So it was extremely cold today with very high winds and blowing snow. As such, visibility was very poor and the roads were extremely slippery (I could spin my rear tires in SIXTH GEAR at 2,000rpm on the highway). This of course meant that most people were driving slower than usual. In an 80km/h zone, a line of cars was traveling approximately 60km/h. Comfortable with traveling faster than that with excellent Winter tires, I passed them at around the speed limit.

Meanwhile, some lifted bro truck had been tailgating me the entire time. After I finished passing everyone I immediately moved over to let him by. Either he was mad because I wasn't driving fast enough or maybe he wanted to race me (as many assume I'd like to do because of my new exhaust). Instead of passing me, he came up beside me and matched my speed. He then stomped on the gas and took off. Now traveling likely around 100-120km/h, he started to spin. I actually thought he was going to fly into oncoming traffic. Fortunately, he did not. It would have been a great lesson for him if he slid into the ditch, though. I'm happy enough that I caught this all with my dash cam, though, so I can laugh at it. Take this as an example of how not to drive like a moron.

I think the driver of the truck needed new pants after that.

Damon Choy - 16 years of age - 2-time BMW owner (E36, E46), proudly funded by myself
2004 330ci - ///M-Sport - 6MT - Imola Red - ZHP Alcantara interior - ZHP/M-Tech II exterior
Summer: 19x9.5 and 19x8.5 Gunmetal CSL replicas - Winter: 17x8 Silver Style 65 replicas
SS replica headers - Rogue DMS exhaust - Carbonio CF intake - black roof/grille/mouldings
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
Brevik
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Tiag M3
Looks to me that you were moving a little fast as well bro.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 PM   #3
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
This guy could have killed somebody.

Since I got used to driving in Sothern California, I sh*t my pants when I see ice or snow on the road. Used to drive alright in the snow, but then I had a FWD car with narrow tires.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #4
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I was driving in the rain one evening in the left lane (of 3 lanes), and some moron came up behind me going far too fast, and he passed on the right before I could get out of the way -- the spacing of the cars let him move before I could, and there were a few cars in front of me so me moving would not have helped him very much, but I digress -- and went two or three cars and cut back into line in the lane I was in, then made a move to the left to pass again.

The trouble here is, he was already in the far left lane, and moving to the left put him in the dirt median, that was actually mud because it had been raining all afternoon. In any case, his move had Epic Fail stamped all over it. I slowed and the guy beside me slowed. The idiot in the mud doing 70-ish spun across all three traffic lanes and into the dirt (mud) on the far right side of the freeway. He ended up facing the wrong way on the side of the freeway he belonged on, and everybody managed to drive around him. What a maroon!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
damonchoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
The line of cars that I was passing was moving at 20km/h below the speed limit, I was moving at exactly the speed limit: 80km/h. Wide angle/fisheye lens gives the illusion that I'm traveling faster than I really am.

Damon Choy - 16 years of age - 2-time BMW owner (E36, E46), proudly funded by myself
2004 330ci - ///M-Sport - 6MT - Imola Red - ZHP Alcantara interior - ZHP/M-Tech II exterior
Summer: 19x9.5 and 19x8.5 Gunmetal CSL replicas - Winter: 17x8 Silver Style 65 replicas
SS replica headers - Rogue DMS exhaust - Carbonio CF intake - black roof/grille/mouldings

Last edited by damonchoy; 01-24-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Brevik
Modded ///Member

May be the vid, but just sayin
Old 01-24-2014, 09:34 PM   #7
Grande D

My Ride: Whiiiite BMW!
Fvcking Dodge Ram owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breiwa1 View Post
OP was driving assertively. I find myself in the left lane too when it snows because it seems I have better tires than nearly everyone else (WS-70s) around here. Just yesterday pulling out of a parking lot I had to pull around a pickup truck that couldn't get into the intersection and was spinning on ice (he didn't want my help).

i spend it while i can, if i run out i'll swallow all my meds
Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 PM   #8
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonchoy View Post
The line of cars that I was passing was moving at 20km/h below the speed limit, I was moving at exactly the speed limit: 80km/h. Wide angle/fisheye lens gives the illusion that I'm traveling faster than I really am.
Me thinks that you passing everybody like they are standing still is what gives the illusion that you are going too fast. It aint the lights...
Old 01-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
Phoenix330ci

My Ride: 04 330Ci Convertible
Oh look.......another Canadian.....good job Beiber )

(Couldn't Resist)
Old 01-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #10
DevilsLT

My Ride: 01 325 CI
I live in central texas cause it snowed and iced over i left me 325 stay in the driveway, out came the jeep Cherokee lifted on 35s and 4x4. So today I took my gf to work bout 12 mile drive. People round here cannot drive in snow at all. On the drive 12 car wreck on the highway i drove in the grass most of the way doing 45. Turned around drove myself to work nother 12. I work at the local dodge dealer well bout 2 hours later here come a dps officer, one of our customer fixed his srt8 a few times. Calls me to the service drive cussed me out for passing him and not pulling his squad car out. Just something funny I thought I put on here. Plus jacked up 4x4 round here always first to wreck

Sent from my LG-LS980 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #11
JetLif3

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325ci
Cool story bro tell it again please?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #12
Brevik
Modded ///Member

I live in central texas cause it snowed and iced over i left me 325 stay in the driveway, out came the jeep Cherokee lifted on 35s and 4x4. So today I took my gf to work bout 12 mile drive. People round here cannot drive in snow at all. On the drive 12 car wreck on the highway i drove in the grass most of the way doing 45. Turned around drove myself to work nother 12. I work at the local dodge dealer well bout 2 hours later here come a dps officer, one of our customer fixed his srt8 a few times. Calls me to the service drive cussed me out for passing him and not pulling his squad car out. Just something funny I thought I put on here. Plus jacked up 4x4 round here always first to wreck
Old 01-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #13
//Maxwelljuppercut

My Ride: 05 325i
Old 01-24-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Me thinks that you passing everybody like they are standing still is what gives the illusion that you are going too fast. It aint the lights...
+1
Crazy driving that fast. Great big sticky cleated tires still slip real well into the oncoming traffic.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #15
damonchoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
+1
Crazy driving that fast. Great big sticky cleated tires still slip real well into the oncoming traffic.

I was driving the speed limit (80km/h), which in those conditions with my tires, I felt perfectly comfortable with and had zero issues with. I tested the surface numerous times for traction along the way.

Like I said, the line of cars that you see us passing in the video is doing 60km/h, which is 20km/h under the speed limit. During the 160km that I drove on that road today, those were the only vehicles driving that slowly. Every one else was doing at least the speed limit with most doing 90+km/h.

I'm really not following how from the video you're able to tell that me traveling at the speed limit was "crazy" and too fast.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #16
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
he probably thought "what a douchebag BMW owner driving too fast for conditions"
Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #17
big_d87

My Ride: 02 M3 Cab 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
he probably thought "what a douchebag BMW owner driving too fast for conditions"
So that caused him to smash the throttle almost plowing into 3 cars?

If anyone has used a dash cam the wide angle makes the video look really fast....
Old 01-25-2014, 01:05 AM   #18
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_d87 View Post
If anyone has used a dash cam the wide angle makes the video look really fast....
We don't have to use the vid. OP tells us exactly what speed he was going!
Not going to change my opinion; just as I'm not going to change his. Notice I did not try.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:23 AM   #19
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
the OP was wrong and the truck was wrong...
Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #20
damonchoy

Uhh... so from the video you two can tell what a safe speed to travel at is? Give me a break. It's impossible to tell without driving on the road for yourself, which neither of you have done.

If I was in the wrong doing 80km/h so was EVERY single other car I passed within the 2 hours I spent on that road.

Closed Thread