E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
inline 6

My Ride: 2000 328i
So I hydrolocked the engine today...

I was driving to a friends house out in the burbs, north of boston where it rained like hell today. Not knowing the streets too well like where all the water ussually gets backed up or how deep the streets are, i went into what i thought was a small puddle which turn out to be a lake. I was going about 20-30mph before i realized that is was a big freaking lake. I hit the brakes and tried backing out of it, the car chugged as it pulled back then stalled out . I was able to get the car out of the lake before it died.

Tried to start it but it wouldnt, turned once and none on the second time. So i got the car towed to by friend place. Tried a couple more times to start it but it would turn, which i regret now after checking a couple of threads saying that by trying to start it i may have bent the rods and damaged the pisten seals. So i thinking my next step is to pull the plugs, crank the engine to get the water out, then dry the MAF and filter. Then change the oil and oil filter and see if everying is OK?

I know shouldnt be driving through lakes and large puddles if you have a CAI, but whats done is done. Please give me any advise if im missing anything.
TIA inline 6.
inline 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #2
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
Find a good indy mechanic and get your car towed to him to diagnose. My advice is do not try to fix this car, esp if you dont know anything. Do not make anything worse, just on monday, call a few mechanics that specialize in BMWs and get it towed there. The BMW dealership will charge you an ass load, so keep your distance.
Next time be sure to go Short ram or buy the aem bypass valve.

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
gman88

My Ride: 2007 328xi
Its very possible that you did bent something internally in the motor. For your sake I really hope you didn't. I would do all that you mentioned but start the car and let it run for 10 mintues maybe take it for a short drive if it starts after the oil change. Change it again when you get back drive it for another 500 to a thousand miles and change it again. And feel it out make sure theres no wierd noises or anything coming from the motor that wasn't there before. If all sounds good and you change the oil somethin similar to what I recomended you should be golden. And extremely lucky for that matter. I have never had any problems with cold air intakes on my cars with hydrolocking though..
gman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
Lexie330ci
ILCUTAWOOTIE

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Lexie330ci
lol, im telling you, the safest thing to do is to take it to get it towed to a mechanic, do not try to fix it yourself, this is not a DIY.

Need brakes? Bother Anthony Here!
Lexie330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
gman88

My Ride: 2007 328xi
If your not comfortable with doing anything further in terms of tryin to fix it yourself then don't. I recomended the above because thats what my friend did after hydrolocking his car. And yes it worked perfectly. I'm sure almost everyone will totally disagree with everything I said.
gman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #6
inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexie330ci View Post
lol, im telling you, the safest thing to do is to take it to get it towed to a mechanic, do not try to fix it yourself, this is not a DIY.
I am comfortable with working on the car, I ussually do all my upgrade diy, but is there nothing that i can do to perhaps fix this? its just hard to let her sit the there after i did this to my baby.
Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Only advice from me would be to take the plugs out, and crank the car so as much water as possible could come out....

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:04 AM   #8
mycool

My Ride: needs rims 325i
ah man
this is what i'm afraid of
i live in san diego california
do you think it's necesary to buy a bypass valve?
i mean it really never rains here
but i just got my CAI today
CF emblems|cf gauge overlay| Gauge Rings|Projectors!|6k HID kit|CUSTOM CF eyelids
Project:CSL
mycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:45 AM   #9
nacho

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Sorry to hear about your engine problem, that is scary. I also live in San Diego and I am really close to getting a Dinan CAI which has an intake in the brake ducts low up front. Is that what you had too?
Thanks.

IB
nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:27 AM   #10
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by inline 6 View Post
I was driving to a friends house out in the burbs, north of boston where it rained like hell today. Not knowing the streets too well like where all the water ussually gets backed up or how deep the streets are, i went into what i thought was a small puddle which turn out to be a lake. I was going about 20-30mph before i realized that is was a big freaking lake. I hit the brakes and tried backing out of it, the car chugged as it pulled back then stalled out . I was able to get the car out of the lake before it died.

Tried to start it but it wouldnt, turned once and none on the second time. So i got the car towed to by friend place. Tried a couple more times to start it but it would turn, which i regret now after checking a couple of threads saying that by trying to start it i may have bent the rods and damaged the pisten seals. So i thinking my next step is to pull the plugs, crank the engine to get the water out, then dry the MAF and filter. Then change the oil and oil filter and see if everying is OK?

I know shouldnt be driving through lakes and large puddles if you have a CAI, but whats done is done. Please give me any advise if im missing anything.
TIA inline 6.
Call the guys at Bavarian Performance Group in Stoneham... www.bavarianperformancegroup.com they'll be able to help you
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
damn dude, you gotta always be prepared and worried when you got the CAI in and it's raining harder than it has in 10 years. my wife was out in taht isht and they started to close down major highways all over the place down here in new bedford cause it was so bad. i had leakage come through the mouldings above windows that i've never seen before and like 3 inches of water in the bulkhead in the basement. i had to pump it out with an old fishtank hose! that thing is a lifesaver!!!!

after i put my UUC TSE3 on, i am having second thoughts about putting my AFE CAI back in.. ever since i did that i'd have random stalling issues, especially when it got cold here in new england. so i figured what use is a CAI when it's freaking cold all the time anyways, except for the summer? the exhaust give me such a sweet growl, i don't even feel like i need the cai.. i'll try it again in the spring, and i am sure the growl will be louder, so i might change my mind, but i am impressed with the normal design of the air box. by the way, i was browsing parts the other day and do you know how much the stock air box costs?!!!?!

get a load of this: $264.60!!!!! holy isht! i am sure it's designed that way so that if the car took on water, it would pool underneath the actual filter in that deep part of the box so this wouldn't be an issue... CAI's are like a friggin snorkel if they get near water
Old 03-03-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
Ted13B

My Ride: 07 Z4 Coupe
Do you have insurance? We've seen several hydrolocks over the years, and as long as you have full insurance, you're covered!
Ted13B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:37 AM   #13
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted13B View Post
Do you have insurance? We've seen several hydrolocks over the years, and as long as you have full insurance, you're covered!
id er, take the CAI out before I took it in... is that covered under collision???
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #14
TeD-E*

My Ride: '02 330ci
thats why i went wit the e.c.i.s

UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC TSE3 | E.C.I.S Intake | Predator Chromiums 6000k | 6000k h.i.d fogs
TeD-E* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #15
trizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeD-E* View Post
thats why i went wit the e.c.i.s
you got a pic of the ECIS one? my AFE is better than the DINAN one that bends down and acts like it wants to suck up every inch of water on the road...
Old 03-03-2007, 09:57 AM   #16
trizzuth

hmmmt, just saw a pic, the AFE is better IMO, it's got the nice aluminum cover too, and no bends in the tube, in fact, no tube at all. it's like STRAIGHT into the MAF through an aluminum billet ring
Old 03-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #17
DrFaustus

My Ride: 2006 M3, VW 16V, C50
Are you kidding. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline 6 View Post

I know shouldnt be driving through lakes and large puddles if you have a CAI, but whats done is done.
What you should have done is install a AEM bypass valve in line with your CAI. You then will not hydrolock. Simple.
DrFaustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:55 AM   #18
inline 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFaustus View Post
What you should have done is install a AEM bypass valve in line with your CAI. You then will not hydrolock. Simple.
I was looking into the AEM bypass but it only came 3 inches diameter, the Dinan is 3.5 inches
Old 03-03-2007, 10:58 AM   #19
inline 6

I never shouldve upgrade the ECIS I had to the Dinan, now i might be screwed. Gonna take out the plugs and intake and see how bad everthing is on my break. thanks for all the replies everybody.
Old 03-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #20
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote