E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #181
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Wicked! I know this thread is old but its very useful, SO BUMP!
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #182
quigger

My Ride: 330D Sport Touring
Very useful thread.

I've just fixed my key fob by cutting it open with a pocket knife.
I didn't need a new battery - I just played with it a little and when repackaging I made sure all the battery contacts and battery holder were tighter - using blue-tak.

I currently have the key fob wrapped in tie-wraps and waiting for the super-glue to dry - but it works fine!

I can lock and un-lock from my office window - whereas before the fix it would work next to car.

So in summary - same DIY dix but no new battery needed.

quigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 PM   #183
vlady1011

My Ride: BMW 325i
thanks bro
Old 03-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #184
buddyclubinteg

My Ride: hates pot holes...
man i cant wait to try this. my key battery is almost up. nice write up
buddyclubinteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #185
Bandersnatch

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Great DIY!

Turns out the battery in my wife's key wasn't dead after all - it measured 3 volts. There was just a bad solder joint on one of the battery connections - I re-soldered that to the circuit board and it worked great.

Then I replaced the BMW logo roundel in the center of the key and now the key looks and works like new.

Here's a reasonably low-cost way to replace the roundel:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=11475936

ZOMG HALP! *click*

oh hai, i can haz part numbro for florr matz? k thanxz.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #186
0-60motorsports

My Ride: E30 325ic & E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to 0-60motorsports Send a message via Yahoo to 0-60motorsports
Thats awesome!
EURO 04 M3: GC Coils, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip + CF Trunk + CF Rear Diffusor + CSL center console, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS Stepped Headers, SS Catless S & Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL Steering + CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R 3.0's, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace, BW Oil Cooler, 3.91 gears
0-60motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 PM   #187
1SiK3

My Ride: 2010 MINI Cooper S
Send a message via AIM to 1SiK3
Got an extra battery pm if you guys need one.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #188
msb046

My Ride: 2001 330xi
FYI - available from Petros on ebay for $3.99 + $6.00 shipping anywhere. Best deal I found online.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
msb046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #189
Bandersnatch

My Ride: 2002 330 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SiK3 View Post
Got an extra battery pm if you guys need one.
Ditto.
Bandersnatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #190
bmw_325i_ct

My Ride: 325i
This is an awesome DIY! Ordered the battery from mouser (got the horizontal one) and followed the instructions. Cutting the key with a sharp utility knife was very easy. It was harder to pry off the spot welds off the old battery. I actually de-soldered the negative from the board and soldered the one with the new battery to the board (had to cut some of the lead). On the positive side I just cut the metal lead off the new battery and used the existing moon shape contact that was in the key soldered to the board. To my surprise when I went to my garage in the morning all the windows and moon roof were opened. I guess with putting the new battery and pressing buttons it unlocked my car! So if you're doing this when you're done go to your car and make sure it's locked if it's outside (I did this at night and did not go to my car until the next morning). I did not have to program my key. Everything just worked. I tested locking, unlocking and trunk and everything was working without programming. Now all I have to do is glue it back together. Thank you!!! You saved me $200!!!
bmw_325i_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #191
beezer86

My Ride: 330cic
Add me to the list of people who read this great diy and decided to try reprogramming the key before buying a battery. Keys work again. Once I reprogrammed the dead key, it worked but my good key stopped working. I had to do the below procedure and quickly do the second key after the first (cut from an earlier post on this thread):

Have you tried initializing your key?

1 Get in and close all doors.
2 Turn on the ignition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
3 Remove the 1st key.
4 Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this).
5 Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1 on my key) and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.
6 Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.

If it does not work, try doing the keys in opposite order. Key 2 then key1, vs 1 then 2.

Remember to alternate your keys from time to time so that you keep the batteries in both charged.
beezer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:44 AM   #192
msb046

I replaced the battery, but when trying to initialize/reprogram the key I got no response. The key still starts the car, but will not unlock/lock the doors. Tested voltage on leads and it's +/-3 volts so I know that my solder job was okay. Also checked the voltage on the old battery and it was 3v (so it was okay?). Any ideas?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #193
Mrfurioso

My Ride: M3
I have a used key fob from a 5 series car. The battery in that key fob is dead. If i replace the battery in that fob and try to program it to my M3 (close the door, turn key, take out key, hold unlock and press lock 3 times), would it start up the car? I'm having starting issues right now with my current key.
05 ZCP - TRMotorsports MT1 18*9.5 (35 o/s) - Toyo R1R 265/35/18 - RPI Air Scoop - Streamline Air Filter - Bimmerworld Air Duct - H&R Sport Springs - Ebay Headers - Magnaflow Resonators - Raceflow Midpipe - Rogue Engineering El Diablo Muffler - Mini Battery - Powerflex RTABS - ZHP Shift Knob - Z Leather Shift Boot - Eurospec CSL Bootlid & CSL Front Bumper - NRG CF Fixed Back Seats
Mrfurioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:38 AM   #194
Mrfurioso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfurioso View Post
I have a used key fob from a 5 series car. The battery in that key fob is dead. If i replace the battery in that fob and try to program it to my M3 (close the door, turn key, take out key, hold unlock and press lock 3 times), would it start up the car? I'm having starting issues right now with my current key.
Oh by the way, to do this i would cut open my current key, attach the key portion itself with the 5 series key chip and try to program my m3. Can it be done?
05 ZCP - TRMotorsports MT1 18*9.5 (35 o/s) - Toyo R1R 265/35/18 - RPI Air Scoop - Streamline Air Filter - Bimmerworld Air Duct - H&R Sport Springs - Ebay Headers - Magnaflow Resonators - Raceflow Midpipe - Rogue Engineering El Diablo Muffler - Mini Battery - Powerflex RTABS - ZHP Shift Knob - Z Leather Shift Boot - Eurospec CSL Bootlid & CSL Front Bumper - NRG CF Fixed Back Seats
Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 AM   #195
mobes

My Ride: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfurioso View Post
Oh by the way, to do this i would cut open my current key, attach the key portion itself with the 5 series key chip and try to program my m3. Can it be done?
You can program it to open the doors but it won't start the car. Each key has a transponder with a code unique to the ECU on the car and it can't be reprogrammed.
mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #196
Mrfurioso

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobes View Post
You can program it to open the doors but it won't start the car. Each key has a transponder with a code unique to the ECU on the car and it can't be reprogrammed.
Thanks. Exactly what i needed to know.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:55 AM   #197
ilovebmw's

My Ride: 01 LSB
For months I thought my battery was dead, I tried to re-sync it and it was working!!! thanks alot, great thread!!
ilovebmw's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:43 AM   #198
VECTOR

My Ride: 2004 330CI auto vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamXp View Post
LOL no way!
I'll tell you one thing about the 80's - you'd be paying $200 for a key at the stealer because there was no internet, other than a handful of newsgroups, and there sure as heck wouldn't be a sweet pictorial DIY like this one, complete with part numbers and links!
Why someone has not figured out how to reprogram a key to work with another car is beyond me. Considering the financial incentive is there with the stealership wanting $200+ for a spare key.
They sell keys on ebay, but supposedly they are a waste of money because they cannot be programmed.
VECTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:17 PM   #199
dvsntt

My Ride: 01 325xi
My key stopped working several weeks ago, I opened it and tested the battery with a digital multimeter, and it read 3.3 volts, so it seems alright. But I can't repogram it or get it to work at all. Any further suggestions?
dvsntt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #200
msb046

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsntt View Post
My key stopped working several weeks ago, I opened it and tested the battery with a digital multimeter, and it read 3.3 volts, so it seems alright. But I can't repogram it or get it to work at all. Any further suggestions?
Same thing happened to me - even swapped the battery and still no luck. Still haven't figured it out, so if you do let me know.