E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 79 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #321
ShaTR

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Good info

http://www.bmwgm5.com/FZV_Antenna_Amp.htm

Seems like this might be my problem. And perhaps some of your as well.
ShaTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:11 PM   #322
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
the second master key died and I had cut it open to replace the battery, but this time I did a bit more research and found some pre-soldered batteries!

just simply desolder the old batter and solder this one in! No need to peel the old battery and risk damaging the key just search "e46 battery" on ebay and you'll find a bunch. I got mine for around $10 shipped
Old 12-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #323
FreddyM3

My Ride: M3
Quoted $228 for a new key fob from the local stealership. I asked if you could replace the battery and was told you could not, that it was "hard wired in there". Screw them. This is a great thread with great money saving info! Ordering the battery off of ebay now.

Last edited by FreddyM3; 12-19-2011 at 09:32 PM.
FreddyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:45 PM   #324
jab3style

My Ride: 03 M3 SMG Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaTR View Post
Good info

http://www.bmwgm5.com/FZV_Antenna_Amp.htm

Seems like this might be my problem. And perhaps some of your as well.
So was this the reason yours wouldn't program after installing the new batteries?
jab3style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #325
FreddyM3

I only have one key. Is there a possibility after I replace the battery that I won't be able to get it to program? Right now I can do everything with it manually. If I cannot get it to program will I still be able to use it manually like I am now? It is scary to think I might screw up the one key I have, but for $228 it might be worth the gamble. I guess worst case scenario I have to order the key and then stare at my car until it comes in.

Last edited by FreddyM3; 12-20-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #326
jab3style

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyM3 View Post
I only have one key. Is there a possibility after I replace the battery that I won't be able to get it to program? Right now I can do everything with it manually. If I cannot get it to program will I still be able to use it manally like I am now? It is scary to think I might screw up the one key I have, but for $228 it might be worth the gamble. I guess worst case scenario I have to order the key and then stare at my car until it comes in.
I only have one key and thought the same thing. Your key will still work regardless if you change the battery or not. I even started her up with the without the battery.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 PM   #327
ShaTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab3style View Post
So was this the reason yours wouldn't program after installing the new batteries?
Not sure. My mechanic said it wasn't the antenna amplifier, so i ordered a new key from bmw. Not too optimistic, but hoping he is right. When i get the new key, i'll report in.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #328
jab3style

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaTR View Post
Not sure. My mechanic said it wasn't the antenna amplifier, so i ordered a new key from bmw. Not too optimistic, but hoping he is right. When i get the new key, i'll report in.
Ok, well I hope if works out for you. Based on the proceedure you followed in your previous post I noticed you didn't do the programing correctly. You have to turn the ingnition to position 2 not 1. Maybe you should try it again for the heck of it. Hope this helps.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:29 PM   #329
FreddyM3

Quote:
I only have one key and thought the same thing. Your key will still work regardless if you change the battery or not. I even started her up with the without the battery.

Great, thanks!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #330
ShaTR

Quote:
Ok, well I hope if works out for you. Based on the proceedure you followed in your previous post I noticed you didn't do the programing correctly. You have to turn the ingnition to position 2 not 1. Maybe you should try it again for the heck of it. Hope this helps.
haha, i tried every different prodedure i could find

1 click position 1
1 click position 2
5 clicks position 1
5 clicks position 2
5 clicks position 1 doors open
5 clicks position 2 doors open
holding down unlock for 5 seconds before pressing unlock 3 times in each scenario
holding unlock them immediately pressing lock 3 times in each scenario

.... bupkis
Old 12-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #331
ShaTR

SO after cutting open 2 keys, and testing out the antenna amp to no avail, turns out the problem was the keys. $200 and a week later, got the new one, got in the car, programmed the key, and drove off no problems.

What a PITA. But i'm happy, i have keyless entry again

oh, btw, proper programming for my car is

Close doors
Insert key and turn to Position 1
Remove key
Hold unlock, press lock 3 times, release unlock

voilla!

Last edited by ShaTR; 12-23-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #332
FreddyM3

I recently purchased a M3 and got a key that I don't know how much it was used. My local dealer service dude said that the battery in the key can become discharged if it was not used (a spare key for instance) and it could take a couple of months to charge back up very slowly but to be patient and see what happens basically. So I am waiting and waiting. I have already ordered a battery but will give the one I have a chance to see what happens. The Service dude did say that the batteries last a "long long time" and that he has never seen one that would not charge back up so we will see. I'll post back the results in several weels. Really don't want to drop $228 but I DO WANT A REMOTE that will work so if after several weeks I might have to drop the coin if the key won't charge. Fingers crossed!
Old 12-26-2011, 01:12 AM   #333
titansilber328ci

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Key

Do you have to have a working key in order to reprogram a key?
titansilber328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:19 AM   #334
FreddyM3

No, but you don't have to use one according to the posts in this thread.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #335
chinnosequeira

My Ride: BMW 325i 2004 (e46)
Smile BMW e46 key fob battery replace.

I made this video based on the information i read in this forum so everything i did you can find the instructions here in case something is not clear. thanks

chinnosequeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:06 AM   #336
Vinnybimmer

My Ride: BMW e46 325ci
Ive only had my car for a year and half, i bought the first key when i got the car, and i just bought another one today since the last one broke. I now have 3 keys and one of them cant start the car its only good for locking and unlocking it through the keyhole. Its finally time to try this!
Vinnybimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #337
FreddyM3

Well, here we are a month later. My key "has" locked and unlocked the doors a couple of times but not consistently. It is like the battery charges and immediately after I use it the charge is gone. I only drive it a couple of times during the week and for short joy rides on the weekends. I am going to keep hoping that it will charge. Like I said above the dealer said it could take as long as a couple of months because it charges very slowly.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #338
Dirck

My Ride: 2001 M3
Has anyone else had difficulty getting solder to adhere to the battery face? Just slides off! I'm no solder expert, but I've done plenty of it with decent results.
Dirck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #339
duckloads

My Ride: 2001 325i
I did it! Glad to add to the worlds longest thread. I used a 2025 battery and pealed the contacts off the old battery like sardine can. Flattened contacts back out and slid new battery in. I spot welded the case back together in 6 places then filled the remaining crack with gel super glue. No re coding necessar. It just worked.
duckloads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #340
Dirck

My Ride: 2001 M3
Hey duck loads, did you spot weld the new battery to the contacts, or did you solder them?
Dirck is offline   Reply With Quote