E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #341
duckloads

My Ride: 2001 325i
No solder or welds. I slid the battery in between the two contacts. Welding the two plastic fob halfs together put enough tension between the battery and contacts.
duckloads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 PM   #342
Dirck

My Ride: 2001 M3
Thanks for the info!
Dirck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #343
Grease_Monkey

My Ride: 2000 323ci
SCREW THE STEALERSHIP! This tread rules! THANKS DUDE!
Old 03-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #344
Onurchillin

My Ride: E46 compact
Nice job
Onurchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #345
FreddyM3

My Ride: M3
I thought I would follow up to this thread. After a few trials and tribulations I finally have a functioning key!!!! Hooray! I was about to give up and go to the Stealership and grab my ankles and let them have me for $228.

The hardest part for me was after cutting open the key; to get the new battery to make contact with the negative terminal and positive terminal while trying to put the damn thing back together. As others have stated it is NOT meant to be opened up and it really does not go back together all that great. I used a drimmel tool which cut away quite a bit of plastic. The drimmel tool works pretty good but you need to use as thin of a blade as possible.
One thing that REALLY HELPED ME A LOT was buying a battery off of ebay that had double sided tape to keep the battery in place against the negative terminal. See here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270867834575...84.m1439.l2649.
The first battery I tried to solder ended up getting messed up or something so I had to throw it away. It went from reading 3 Volts to 2.75 Volts after I tried to solder it in. With the double sided tape you don't need to solder it.
Once I conquered that it was a matter of getting the key back together while making proper contact. I got it together and wrapped it with a strong rubber band and made sure it was working. Then I began to Super Glue it back together with the rubber band holding it in place. I placed a plastic vice type clamp on the end with the loop and just Super Glued the entire thing around the edge and left it that way overnight. When I woke up it seemed to seal itself back up into a solid looking key which works great. A little messy and certainly not new looking but close enough particularly since I saved over $200!!!!!!!!!
A few things to note, the + terminal is on the top side of the battery. The negative terminal is a very small area on the other side of the positive band that you have to peel apart. I don't know if the negative terminal was soldered in place or not but mine was not once I got it opened. Again, the key for me was getting the double sided tape. Made things waaaaay easier. Good luck if you undertake this DIY. It actually works!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by FreddyM3; 03-31-2012 at 03:11 PM.
FreddyM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #346
maxxed

My Ride: 330Ci and 335i
Got mine working with a 2016 battery this weekend. If your key doesn't work after the battery replacement you can try reprogramming it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46keys2.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	444700  
maxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM   #347
KohbraxE46

My Ride: E46 328i
How come I can't get my key programmed

I got this key from eBay about 1 month ago.
It was working great. And then one day it just randomly stopped working.

Went to lady to the key place and changed the battery

They key even showed signal that it was working but it's not programming any help ?!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:47 PM   #348
Sansho
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 325i
If you have a fresh battery in it ... Panasonic VL2020 ... and you're programming it correctly (doors lock/unlock after programming) and it doesn't work, something else is wrong which I haven't seen any fixes for. One question ... are you programming 2 keys at the same time, and if so, does the other work? Sooo .... if you're doing everything correctly including the programming, and it won't work, you'll need to buy another key ... used or new.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #349
FreddyM3

How do you buy a used key or one off of ebay? How does it have the correct pattern cut into the metal? I need another key and would rather not have to spend $228. Is there a way to get a used one for less?
Old 04-10-2012, 10:05 AM   #350
FreddyM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KohbraxE46 View Post
How come I can't get my key programmed

I got this key from eBay about 1 month ago.
It was working great. And then one day it just randomly stopped working.

Went to lady to the key place and changed the battery

They key even showed signal that it was working but it's not programming any help ?!
Did you have to cut open the key like what is in this thread? Maybe the new battery is not making contact with the negative and positive terminals? If you are programming it properly it should work. When I cut open my key and tried to glue it back together I had a lot of trouble keeping the battery in proper contact while putting it back together.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #351
briantm85

My Ride: 330xi 02'
Doh!!!

I tried this today. I accidentally knocked off some microchips on the circuit board and now the key won't get the engine to turn on.. I saw that someone was selling keys that were programmable (without a spare key, just needed to put it in the ignition and pull it out and hit the buttons in some sort of fashion) for $160.. but I lost the post. Damn.. Anyone who can search better than me? I'm new to the BMW scene and this website.
briantm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:03 PM   #352
3 3 0 C i

My Ride: 528xi
160 dollars? I got mine for 164 from the dealer programed new.

Sent from my DROID2 using Bimmer App
Old 04-26-2012, 07:10 PM   #353
briantm85

bro! other posts are talking about 500 and up from dealers. where the hell is your dealer? haha. HELP me get back on the streets! haha
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #354
3 3 0 C i

My Ride: 528xi
Seriously, I'm in MI, but Erhard BMW in West Bloomfield got me in a BMW t-shirt and programmed a brand new key out the door for like 175$.

I just got it a couple months ago, just had to give them my VIN and pre-pay. If your local dealer tries to make you pay more, email alord (at) erhardbmw (dot) com and see if he can hook you up.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #355
Shonky

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantm85 View Post
I tried this today. I accidentally knocked off some microchips on the circuit board and now the key won't get the engine to turn on.. I saw that someone was selling keys that were programmable (without a spare key, just needed to put it in the ignition and pull it out and hit the buttons in some sort of fashion) for $160.. but I lost the post. Damn.. Anyone who can search better than me? I'm new to the BMW scene and this website.
"knocking some chips off the circuit board"? Did you solder with a sledge hammer?

The "chip" used to start the car only needs to be near the ignition ring. Whether it's on or off the board doesn't really matter.

Dealer keys come pre-programmed for the EWS

Aftermarket keys need programming with an EWS editor tool (you also need to pull the EWS from under the dash and read codes from it).

The pressing buttons "re-programming" only applies to the remote lock/unlock function which is completely separate to starting the car.

If you can get a dealer key for $160, take it.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 06:24 AM   #356
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
"knocking some chips off the circuit board"? Did you solder with a sledge hammer?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer App

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #357
briantm85

Thanks for the info Shonky. While using the exacto knife, the knife went in a little too far and knocked off a couple .5mm chips that where soldered to the circuit board inside the key. Someone should probably mention that in the original post *ehemm*cough*nudge*. I would have been more careful if I knew that the circuit board is on the same plane and super super close to where we were cutting but realistically, I should have assumed this.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #358
Shonky

My Ride: 2004 E46 M3
I think the image is fairly clear it's at that level but maybe a warning would be prudent.

The key should still work to start the car though. The RF part shouldn't be damaged.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #359
briantm85

Good point, I have already done to the dealership. 172 out the door for a new master key. If I can get the other one to start the car it will make an excellent spare.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #360
Arby1028

My Ride: 2002 330i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by briantm85 View Post
Good point, I have already done to the dealership. 172 out the door for a new master key. If I can get the other one to start the car it will make an excellent spare.
What dealer? I was quoted around $300 from Hendrick BMW in Charlotte, NC. I replaced the battery and it worked for awhile...however I think the electronics in the key are now bad.
Arby1028 is offline   Reply With Quote