E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 77 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2007, 07:14 AM   #41
SamXp

My Ride: 2011 WRX
Send a message via ICQ to SamXp
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwiq View Post
the other day, my friend's little brother said they were studying the 80s in high school history class... HISTORY? that's OURSTORY...
LOL no way!
I'll tell you one thing about the 80's - you'd be paying $200 for a key at the stealer because there was no internet, other than a handful of newsgroups, and there sure as heck wouldn't be a sweet pictorial DIY like this one, complete with part numbers and links!
SamXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 AM   #42
chuckthis

My Ride: ist mein auto
Send a message via AIM to chuckthis
Damn, I almost had to do this because I though my key stopped working. I did the procedure to re-sync the key with the car and it works like a champ now

You have never lived until you have almost died. For those who have fought for it, freedom has a
special flavor the protected will never know
chuckthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:21 AM   #43
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
sucks, I need to buy a new key now.. its my second dead battery, seems like it doesnt want to charge anymoer
Old 10-25-2007, 02:24 AM   #44
Geno68

My Ride: 320D
Jason77,
I am on mouser.com looking for a battery and I get two batteries for VL2020.

1. VL Lithium Coin Cell Batteries 3V 20mAH 2 PIN VERT
2. VL Lithium Coin Cell Batteries 3V 20mAH 2 PIN HORZ

Which one do I need?
Geno68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:36 AM   #45
peanut_man

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport Pkg
Think it's the HORZ one

BTW, does it matter if I have the alarm installed? Registering the keys would be the same procedure?

Thanks
peanut_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:46 AM   #46
mike greco

My Ride: M3
Great Info
mike greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:21 AM   #47
SamXp

My Ride: 2011 WRX
Send a message via ICQ to SamXp
By the way, guys, if some of you have key fobs that work, but have really horrible range - it might not be the battery. See this thread:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=160179

I'd been having horrible range with my key fob. I basically have to hold it right against the roof to make it work. I ordered the batteries from Mouser, figuring they just weren't taking much of a charge any more. Well, recently the electrochromatic fluid in my rearview mirror leaked out. The manufacturer, Magna Donnelly is replacing them pro bono. When I put my new mirror in, my keyless range came back! I could unlock the car from across the parking lot!

My guess is the electrochromatic fluid has shielding properties and killed the antenna range for the keyless entry system. When I removed the mirror, the keyless entry didn't work at all, so the antenna has got to be up there somewhere.

Might help someone out and prevent them having to chop open their key.
SamXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 11:12 AM   #48
SeeBMW330CI

My Ride: 330CI
Great Info. Thanks.
Saved me money
SeeBMW330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #49
Geno68

No cigar

Update from hell

Well I eventually managed to get the battery out. I broke the tiny spot welds where the metal straps are tacked onto the battery (upper and lower).

I couldn't find the Panasonic VL2020 here in Belgium (backward country) but I got a generic 3v battery of the same dimensions. This isn't rechargable but should do until I get the right (i.e rechargable battery)?

Anyway, I put the battery in and it still doen't work. Dead as a doornail - f%&*^#$ spewing. Not only that; I discovered that without the circuit board inside the fob, the dumbarse thing won't start the car once it has been locked with the remaining good key. i.e. If the wife drives the car and locks it with her remote, then I can't start car but CAN open car and turn alarm off. Go figure. Anyway, I have put the circuit board back in the fob so I can start the pile of schiesen.

BMW need shooting for;
1. Having such a dumbarse key fob that doesn't allow you to easily change the battery.
2. Then trying to arse-rape you for 250EU to get a new fob when the battery goes flat. Not only that; here in Belgium I need to do a mountain of paperwork for the BMW stealer before I can get a new fob.

All bollocks.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #50
Geno68

Re my post above.

Of course, I tried reprogramming the key (many, many times) after putting in the new battery.

So now am I right assume the circuit board is rooted?

If the PCB is rooted what are my options to get some remote loving happening without getting taken to Browntown by the BMW stealers?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #51
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno68 View Post
Re my post above.

Of course, I tried reprogramming the key (many, many times) after putting in the new battery.

So now am I right assume the circuit board is rooted?

If the PCB is rooted what are my options to get some remote loving happening without getting taken to Browntown by the BMW stealers?
sucks to hear all that, try to solder the welds back on or go to a professional and get it done. MOUSER.com has the battery, dont use anything else.

I didn't have to reprogram the key, it worked fine after I replaced it, post up a pic of your remote maybe we can helpy ou out then
Old 11-03-2007, 03:56 PM   #52
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
i got the new battery in but it still doesnt work
Old 11-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #53
silentak1
Banned

My Ride: '03 330ci cabrio
Can this be done IF the only key I have has the dead battery?
silentak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:06 PM   #54
wack0

My Ride: M3, ZHP
lol i tried this today. i cut myself 3 times trying to open this horrible key fob and then when i went to glue it back together i got glue all over it and now it looks like piss.

hahaha i hate these damn keys!
wack0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 08:50 PM   #55
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
damnit. why doesnt mine work! i gotta figure it out
Old 11-13-2007, 10:35 PM   #56
bmw_dna
Modded

My Ride: e60 525 - e46 vert
i have 2 spare set of batteries for this project
$5 for 2
in Orange County, SoCal
let me know
bmw_dna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:00 AM   #57
bmwsmurf

My Ride: 330ci
Just opened my key and saw that i had sawed away some of the squiggly lines on the circuit board at the end. $#@$@ oh well. think i could reconnect those lines with some wire and sodder? Why is it squiggly like that.. they don't appear connected to anything on the back side of the board?

Worst thing is that the battery in the key fob is showing 3.39volts. My new battery has 3.15 volts. (Yes I tried reprogramming the key many times without luck before opening

Last edited by bmwsmurf; 11-27-2007 at 01:50 AM.
bmwsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:36 AM   #58
2001_325Ci

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Great DIY, saved me a bunch of $$$
2001_325Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:44 AM   #59
bmwsmurf

My Ride: 330ci
Anyone got a working key fob from a junked car they don't want
Alternatively I can try to buy a silver/gold pen from radio shack and retrace those antenna wires. But the fob wasn't working to begin with anyway.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #60
wack0

My Ride: M3, ZHP
someone on ebay makes nice empty key fobs with uncut keys really cheap, i got one and its nice as heck
wack0 is offline   Reply With Quote