E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 67 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #81
325ci GreekMan

My Ride: 325ci steel gray
replacing battery on key remote mission = FAILED after 2 cut fingers and one burnt finger the mission has failed and this is a very bad DIY. Now must spend the 200 for the new key. But I did find a cool way to put the key back together if you do do it right......just use the soldering iron and melt it back together.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 PM   #82
antzcrashing

My Ride: 2006 330i
its not a bad DIY, your key may have had another problem separate from a dead battery
Old 06-04-2008, 09:18 AM   #83
j0n228

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330i
hey i just did this everything went well except i cant get the battery in the same position and i bought the battery from mouser.com
j0n228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 AM   #84
j0n228

and now the battery wont close in the same position and it looks retarded can anyone help me ?

Last edited by j0n228; 06-04-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #85
j0n228

no one can help me do this everything works just the pins are different and the battery wont go in the same position
Old 06-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #86
djarndtsfo

My Ride: BMW 2001 330i
Even cheaper way that seems to work with a common battery!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too needed to replace one fob's battery and found this thread and it was very helpful. I was able to open up the key fob and unsolder the battery and was about to order the horizontal battery from Mouser or Digikey. Before I did, I researched the battery on the Panasonic battery site and found that another non-rechargeable is essentially the same size and voltage. I picked one up at my local drug store (2025 or equivalent). Now, here is the part that you may or may not want to try (see picture). After removing the battery, I used needle nose pliers to roll the welded tabs off like you do to open a can of sardines (those who remember using the included key to remove the metal strip around the can). I then smoothed them back out flat and soldered both battery contacts back on without the battery (you may actually trim off the battery contact wrinkly part if you want). This makes like a slip-in battery holder. I slipped in the battery, wrapped a rubber band around the fob and tried it. It works great! Yes, I know this is not a rechargeable, but I could not find anything on the circuit board that takes an outside electrical source that could possibly recharge the battery (I will do some more research, but I don't think it HAS to be a rechargeable type battery). The only other significant difference between the rechargeable and the 2025 lithium I used is a specification for Nominal Capacity (mAh). The rechargeable is lower at 7 as opposed to the 2025 which is 165 mAh which means it should last longer! Well I have been using mine for a total cost of less than $3 now for over 7 months and it's still going strong. Just in case though, I used a silicone sealer type adhesive that is strong but removable if I have to change the battery. The beauty is that if there is a next time, I just slip out the old battery and slip in a new $3 battery and reseal (no more soldering). The plastic holder the fob has for the battery space puts enough pressure on the slip-in cell so you don't have to use the solder variety. Hope this helps - good luck. Donald (electronics engineer) San Francisco.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5090s.JPG
Views:	1787
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	274466  
djarndtsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:06 AM   #87
RiFo

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via MSN to RiFo
okay guys, i'm bit confused..... some posts say we should use HP and some say we should use VP ...... i have a 2003 Euro Spec M3 ..and i need to know which one to order ....i have one key, and i dont wanna open it YET until im finally sure if this works fine and what battery to use ....

RiFo

Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 8000K HID | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grills | White CCFL | Matt Black Side Grills
RiFo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 06:31 PM   #88
Tun6twista
tun6twista

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330 CI
ugh...

I bought the batter from Mouser.com and it came in the mail. I got the key open carefully using an x-acto knife and razor blade and screwdriver. I was ready to desolder the battery and noticed one contact pulled right off. I heated up the solder pad and pushed it back in. Wholla. It works like new now. Guess my battery wasn't bad after all. Now I have an extra battery. BTW, I ordererd the Horizontal pin and noticed the werent going to match up perfectly. I suspect either the horizontal and or vertical will need some adjusting before soldering to the board. Then I JB Kwik Welded the key back together. Less than an hour and I'm driving around again.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:27 PM   #89
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Just finished changing the battery in my only key that stopped working last week......

Works great!

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #90
e4sixxx

My Ride: 2000 328ci
great write up i just finished it, it was so easy.
e4sixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #91
Genghis74

My Ride: 2000 323Ci 5SPD Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04e46conv View Post
Yeah no prob I will start a new thread with a DIY if it works and doesn't blow up....HeHe
Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Great DIY. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #92
xxenycejattxx

My Ride: 330i 600RR
Talking starting the process today

i was watching tv,as i noticed one of the keys for my 330i which wasnt working ever since i got it, were hanging near the tv.thought about changing the battery.
did a little yahoo search and came on this website..this was the perfect thread found to do the job.

I cut the key today and took the battery out and took off the contacts cleanly with the solder thinking about i m gonna use them on the new battery. About to order the verticle one from mouser.com..
keep u guys updated if this works for me..
ordered 2 batteries..incase.the shipping was double the price..LOL

Last edited by xxenycejattxx; 08-29-2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: add a line for shipping
xxenycejattxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #93
mikee724

My Ride: 2002 325i
Please HELP!! OK, I finally got the key to work on my first try... Apparently, 3 days later I accidently dropped the key on the floor and now my key is not working anymore. "WTF" I decided to reopen my key again and assess the problem. I saw that one of the battery metals was out of place after I soldered the it. I put it back into place and now my key isn't working again.. Can anyone explain or help me??? I know it works but now its out of service again.

Mikee724
mikee724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #94
xxenycejattxx

I got the verticle battery yesterday...no matter which battery you get you have to do little modification to it cuz the prongs are at diffeent angles..
never use a hot knife to cut the key..i did it on one side and it just smoked the key..but the other side, i cut.I had to take out one contact off the battery..i took off the one from the negative side.I soldered both contacts on the circuit board but I cudnt solder the negative..its just a pain in the assss..
lastly i put the key together with some crazy glue and tied it with zip ties nd itsss heeling now...let u know if it workss....

4hrs later...took the battery..programmed it as said in the starting of this post...and the remote worked as if it was new....great thanks to everyone for savinggg bunch of money.....If any one has any question about this DIY feel free to ask me....

Last edited by xxenycejattxx; 09-05-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: workedddd
Old 09-05-2008, 09:27 PM   #95
xxenycejattxx

Mikee724...see if all the contacts are in place....other than that there could be hardwae damage..check it nd reprogramm nd get back..

Old 09-08-2008, 11:12 AM   #96
Rocket22

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
juts the post I was looking for. I have three keys and was down to my last one. Great Job!
Rocket22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #97
bmwsmurf

My Ride: 330ci
Hey guys, could really use your help.

My secondary key was busted so I ordered a new battery. Unfortunately, I messed up the circuit board by cutting into the ziggly lines at the front of it while I was opening up the key.

So.. I ordered a used key, and took the entire internal piece out and put it into my secondary key. I reprogrammed both my primary and secondary key (now with the replaced innards). I can open and lock my car with either key, but only the primary key will start the car. With the secondary key, if I turn the ignition the lights come on but nothing happens.

Is every key innard tied to a specific car/ignition even after reprogramming???

(FYI, all three batteries: new, secondary, and the used key I bought, all measure around 2.9-3 volts)

Last edited by bmwsmurf; 09-10-2008 at 04:08 PM.
bmwsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #98
mikee724

My Ride: 2002 325i
BMWSMURF, sorry to hear about your problems. Where did you order a used key??? i need another circuit board to try to resynchronize my keys. I would greatly appreciate your help!
mikee724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #99
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by djarndtsfo View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too needed to replace one fob's battery and found this thread and it was very helpful. I was able to open up the key fob and unsolder the battery and was about to order the horizontal battery from Mouser or Digikey. Before I did, I researched the battery on the Panasonic battery site and found that another non-rechargeable is essentially the same size and voltage. I picked one up at my local drug store (2025 or equivalent). Now, here is the part that you may or may not want to try (see picture). After removing the battery, I used needle nose pliers to roll the welded tabs off like you do to open a can of sardines (those who remember using the included key to remove the metal strip around the can). I then smoothed them back out flat and soldered both battery contacts back on without the battery (you may actually trim off the battery contact wrinkly part if you want). This makes like a slip-in battery holder. I slipped in the battery, wrapped a rubber band around the fob and tried it. It works great! Yes, I know this is not a rechargeable, but I could not find anything on the circuit board that takes an outside electrical source that could possibly recharge the battery (I will do some more research, but I don't think it HAS to be a rechargeable type battery). The only other significant difference between the rechargeable and the 2025 lithium I used is a specification for Nominal Capacity (mAh). The rechargeable is lower at 7 as opposed to the 2025 which is 165 mAh which means it should last longer! Well I have been using mine for a total cost of less than $3 now for over 7 months and it's still going strong. Just in case though, I used a silicone sealer type adhesive that is strong but removable if I have to change the battery. The beauty is that if there is a next time, I just slip out the old battery and slip in a new $3 battery and reseal (no more soldering). The plastic holder the fob has for the battery space puts enough pressure on the slip-in cell so you don't have to use the solder variety. Hope this helps - good luck. Donald (electronics engineer) San Francisco.
THANK YOU!
I, too, can now confirm that any 2025 battery will work!
I just picked one up from Walgreens 15 minutes ago (Energizer 2025) and cut open my key, unsoldered the old one, soldered in the new one, took one shot to re-program, and I've been sitting here in my kitchen pushing lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock.
It's such a beautiful thing.
Over a year of using your key to unlock the car will do this to you.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #100
bmwsmurf

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee724 View Post
BMWSMURF, sorry to hear about your problems. Where did you order a used key??? i need another circuit board to try to resynchronize my keys. I would greatly appreciate your help!
I just bought it on ebay.
I don't recommend it as it seems like you can program a circuit board from another car to open/close your doors, but you can't swap that circuit board with the one in your existing key and start the car. There must be some code inside that key fob that ties in the circuit board to individual cars. I'm sure there might be a way to "reprogram" that part as well, but nobody here seems to know. Bummer.

I tried to reset my keys a few times, no luck.

Last edited by bmwsmurf; 09-22-2008 at 12:34 PM.
bmwsmurf is offline   Reply With Quote