E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Laylow

My Ride: Honda
How to know if cashier check is real?

let's say I just sold a honda civic to a local buyer, and he gives me a cashier check. I deposited it and later the bank told me it's a fake check, and I am hosed.

so when the buyer gives me some kind of check, how do I know if the check is real? if he got the check from a bank loan, how can I tell?

Thanks.
Laylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
stiLL reaL iLL

My Ride: A chrome beach bike
Send a message via AIM to stiLL reaL iLL
Why don't you clarify a little more. Did you accept a fake cashiers check or not? If I were you, hold onto the pink slip and wait for 2-3 weeks until your bank

processes and properly clears it to your account. If it isn't a car and another item that you're selling, hold onto it just the same until payment clears.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Laylow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiLL reaL iLL View Post
Why don't you clarify a little more. Did you accept a fake cashiers check or not? If I were you, hold onto the pink slip and wait for 2-3 weeks until your bank

processes and properly clears it to your account. If it isn't a car and another item that you're selling, hold onto it just the same until payment clears.
no I haven't accepted a check yet but I am about to sell a car to somebody, and I want to make sure that the check is real. I read a warning on Craiglist that beware of fake cashier check. if I take the check, I have to hand over the car. I can't hold the car for two weeks until the check clear, correct?
Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #4
boarderfolife

My Ride: tit silver 323Ci
Meet the buyer at the bank and exchange keys after the check is deposited. That's what I did with the last car I sold.
boarderfolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
EDawg

My Ride: :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiLL reaL iLL View Post

why in the world would any buyer agree to that?? i certainly would never agree to hand over $10K for a car without the pinkslip only to find out that in 2-3 days the seller deposited the money and report the car stolen.
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:11 PM   #6
Gucki83

My Ride: E92 M3 ZCP / 635CSi
Cash only--if they can buy a cashier's check, then can save a step and just give you the cash.

That's the way I work...
Old 03-13-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
mark///m3

My Ride: turbo e30; x5 4.6is
cash or wire transfer. really the only way to be safe

Old 03-13-2007, 07:43 PM   #8
USCTrojanMan29

My Ride: Beauty & The Beater
Send a message via AIM to USCTrojanMan29 Send a message via Yahoo to USCTrojanMan29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
let's say I just sold a honda civic to a local buyer, and he gives me a cashier check. I deposited it and later the bank told me it's a fake check, and I am hosed.

so when the buyer gives me some kind of check, how do I know if the check is real? if he got the check from a bank loan, how can I tell?

Thanks.
Best way to tell if it's a good cashier's check or not is to go to the issuing bank and cash it there...
USCTrojanMan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:04 PM   #9
BonaPhyde LB

My Ride: 2000 323i (SOLD)
i work at a bank and i have seen many people scammed by fraudulent cashier's checks. it's best to get a cashier's check from a major bank like Wells Fargo or B of A but even then it still could be fake. there is usually a phone number in the back of a cashier's check to verify it and check if it is still outstanding but sometimes it is a fake number that leads to someone else who is part of the scam and they act like they are official and give you all the info you want and say it is a good check. so do not call the phone number in the back of the check, look up the number of the bank online and call directly. but most people don't even look at that number or think twice about a fake cashier's check because it is supposed to be like cash but in reality not always.

but i would look to see if the check has preforations on the top or bottom since most scammers are too lazy to duplicate that. if the check has perfect edges it could be a fake. look if it also has watermarks on it to verify if it is real. usually if you rub the watermark it will change colors. this is hard to duplicate.

this may be a hasssle but you could also settle the cashiers check at the bank but have the seller with you.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
BimmerPhan

My Ride: -
Make sure the check is drawn on a local bank and take it straight to that bank to get cash...if you dont want to get cash then open a savings account and deposit it after cashing...you just dont want to deposit the cc into an account/bank other than the issuing bank.
BimmerPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
BimmerPhan

My Ride: -
And also, if you sell them a car (and it's still in the US) then you can report the car as stolen if they give you a bad check.
BimmerPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
Laylow

thanks guys. the buyer said the bank is a local credit union, so I will go there with him then.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #13
BonaPhyde LB

My Ride: 2000 323i (SOLD)
good luck with the sale man.

be careful because credit union's are probably the easiest to scam checks on since there are so many and usually they have names you never hear of before. so watch out for that. take care.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:07 PM   #14
stiLL reaL iLL

My Ride: A chrome beach bike
Send a message via AIM to stiLL reaL iLL
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDawg View Post
why in the world would any buyer agree to that?? i certainly would never agree to hand over $10K for a car without the pinkslip only to find out that in 2-3 days the seller deposited the money and report the car stolen.
Well of course you would want to take the necessary precautions like getting

something in writing, maybe a copy of their license or SS card or something. I'm

just trying to say, you gotta be careful in this day and age. I like the suggestion

about making sure the cashiers check comes from a major bank like B of A or

Fargo, researching phone numbers online, maybe asking for cash, etc. You get it dude..lol

Last edited by stiLL reaL iLL; 03-13-2007 at 11:10 PM.
stiLL reaL iLL is offline   Reply With Quote