E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
M54 Oil pump nut warning.

All,

I've been tearing down my engine for a complete rebuild this past week. Today when I went to remove the oil pump, I found the oil pump nut loose. I touched it with my finger and it spun!

I don't know how long it has been like this, but it sent a shiver down my neck. If I hadn't decided to rebuild my engine, I may not have checked the oil pump nut, and I'm fairly certain the sprocket would have come off. This would result in a total loss of oil pressure, and as a result, my engine would get toasted.

For those of you that race your car, and use an increased engine RPM limit like the Shark Injector provides, beware. My engine at the time of tear down had about 70k miles.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Sadly, this has been an issue with all M5x/S5x motors since the mid 90s.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:51 AM   #3
Greg@UniqueDesign
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330Ci
I'm waiting for TC Kline to call me when my oil pump gets in .
Greg@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:43 AM   #4
UniqueEDesign
TRACK EXPERTS

My Ride: Worlds Fastest Non-M
Send a message via AIM to UniqueEDesign
+1 on the importance of this topic- far too often overlooked and seems to be across the board on the E46 platform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg@UniqueDesign View Post
I'm waiting for TC Kline to call me when my oil pump gets in .
Copy cat
UniqueEDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #5
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
All,

I've been tearing down my engine for a complete rebuild this past week. Today when I went to remove the oil pump, I found the oil pump nut loose. I touched it with my finger and it spun!

I don't know how long it has been like this, but it sent a shiver down my neck. If I hadn't decided to rebuild my engine, I may not have checked the oil pump nut, and I'm fairly certain the sprocket would have come off. This would result in a total loss of oil pressure, and as a result, my engine would get toasted.

For those of you that race your car, and use an increased engine RPM limit like the Shark Injector provides, beware. My engine at the time of tear down had about 70k miles.
I think it's a common problem for tricked out e46's... I know that on high revving e36's there's been cases where the pump just completely flew off....

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:27 PM   #6
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
My first motor was junked (under warranty) because my nut came off and I lost all oil pressure!

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 11:44 PM   #7
gnathologist

My Ride: BMW & Lex
Is it simple to do a preventive maintenance on this nut or does the engine have to be overhauled?
gnathologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:09 AM   #8
Limited_Slip
Banned

My Ride: e30
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnathologist View Post
Is it simple to do a preventive maintenance on this nut or does the engine have to be overhauled?
the precedure is simple. it is like a 15 min job. the hardest part is trying to gain access/clearence for the removal of the engine oil pan. this will take you all day.

bmw just use loctite (chemical compund)on the nut whereas the m3 is secured with a physical locking mechancism
Limited_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #9
dambro24

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
I think it's a common problem for tricked out e46's... I know that on high revving e36's there's been cases where the pump just completely flew off....
this is another case of the high quailty products bmw puts out. lol
i think they might use superglue on most parts and not a torque wrench
Old 04-02-2007, 11:32 AM   #10
sakman74
Banned

My Ride: M3 Coupe
so on the e46 M3 this is not an issue ?
sakman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 12:29 PM   #11
Greg@UniqueDesign
Past Site Sponsor

There are actually 2 big problems with the oil pump. First, the nut can back off. Second, the shaft that holds the sprocket on can shear too.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 PM   #12
UKtRAINE3

My Ride: ///M3
Send a message via AIM to UKtRAINE3
Wouldn't you get an oil light or SES light as soon as you lost oil pressure? Your car would begin to overheat too so you'd notice by the temp gauge and therefore stop driving the car so not to cause more damage??
UKtRAINE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 03:43 PM   #13
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKtRAINE3 View Post
Wouldn't you get an oil light or SES light as soon as you lost oil pressure? Your car would begin to overheat too so you'd notice by the temp gauge and therefore stop driving the car so not to cause more damage??
You have all of about 10 seconds to notice your oil light. There is no check engine light or time for the temp gauge to move (remember the stock temp gauge isn't really a gauge, it is either cold, warming up, normal or hot).

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #14
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
You have all of about 10 seconds to notice your oil light. There is no check engine light or time for the temp gauge to move (remember the stock temp gauge isn't really a gauge, it is either cold, warming up, normal or hot).

Tim
What he said. The oil pressure idiot light is also known as the "rebuild engine" light. By the time you see it, it is too late to do anything.

My Track Schedule

Old 04-04-2007, 01:50 PM   #15
Greg@UniqueDesign
Past Site Sponsor

I talked with TC Kline the other day and the machine shop who was modifying the M54 oil pump has gone under so currently they're not making/selling them .
Old 06-03-2007, 01:40 AM   #16
Greg@UniqueDesign
Past Site Sponsor

So here's my new modified Oil Pump:
Old 06-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #17
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
That'll work.

I find it interesting that the BMW Motorsport shaft is actually a simpler design than the factory unit. Instead of splines, it's just a tapered shaft. The nut is not even left hand thread. Why BMW didn't do this in the first place, is beyond me. Making a taper is much easier than broaching out the splines on a shaft and sprocket.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #18
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

M54 oil pump shafts are starting to fail regularly, especially when they see track use.

Good times.

My Track Schedule

Old 06-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #19
Greg@UniqueDesign
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl View Post
M54 oil pump shafts are starting to fail regularly, especially when they see track use.Good times.
For what it's worth mine saw 39 track days, most of those were shifting at 6k. It never failed, but I always had an eagle eye on that red oil light.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:31 AM   #20
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
M54 oil pump shafts are starting to fail regularly, especially when they see track use.
I learned this back in 2002. At first we tried everything but soon learned that the shaft is just a bad design and no amount of welding, red Loctite and safety wire will fix the problem. I figured that in a few years, everyone would start seeing this same problem as the cars got older and more people started to track their cars.

I expect that people will soon start kicking out the bottom ends when they miss downshifts (i.e. 5th to 2nd). I can tell you that zinging the motor to around 10500 rpm will blow out three rods.