E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
Phyberlink

My Ride: 2003 330Cic Sport Pk
Rear shocks replacement 2003 330 Ci Conv

Hi all, I need help/advice please. I live in Virginia, and the annual state inspection is every March, well last month my 2003 Convertible 330 Ci failed. I needed 2 rear tires. So I went to NTB for rear tires and they noticed that the rear left coil spring is broken and the rear left shock is leaking. The VA inspector does not know any of that, he just want me to have the new rear tires, and so I purchased/installed only tires and now it passed. "but" the NTB folks said that the new tires will become bad soon if I do not correct the left rear coil spring and shock. Today I purchased 2 coil springs and I will install them myself. I am now out of money, I need 1 month to save for the 2 shocks. My question to this fine group is, is it ok to ride for 1 month with a leaky shock? the other question is, what brand should I get ? in view that my car is a sport package? the BMW dealer part for the rear shock is 33522282100 I do not want to change anything, I do not want to lower nor higher, I just want safety, but I want better quality than the manufacturer, I want longevity in so to save money. I am getting annoyed of shock manufacturers trying to shove to my throat kits and coilovers, I just want to buy 2 rear "Quality" shocks and I have no clue where to start. I do not want to change the car configuration. This weekend I am replacing my rear coil springs in the garage, it may take me over 8 hours, first timer. please advise on shocks so I can prepare the money. Thanks in advance.
Phyberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
I see no problem with driving one month on a leaky shock.

Based on what you want, why not just get the OEM rear shocks? They are pretty good and are cheap at $75 a piece with no tax and free shipping (see link below). All coupe and vert come with the sport suspension.

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...ock%20Absorber

Last edited by jzwu; 04-05-2013 at 09:40 PM.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Phyberlink

Thanks JZWU, but the one you are suggesting is a standard suspension, but I have a sports package!! I am a bit confused! I guess I need more clarity please.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
Look at the second one. It is for sport.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #5
Phyberlink

I prefer to pay $92 each with free delivery Bavarian

I am really confused now, What is the difference of BE5 2724 & BE3-2697 and 24-027243 they are all about $92 and they are Bilstein, I might as well get Bilstein from Bavarian, but I might get the wrong size!, please help. Thanks, I prefer Bavarian Bilstein, cause AutohauseAZ does not carry Bilstein.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
If you get shocks from Bavarian, you will get a suitable fitment. Your car has Sport Suspension, and that is the only suspension available for it. If there is a standard option, then get the sport model. If there is only one, then get it.

You are way over-thinking this.

You can replace the springs today and replace the shocks later without doing the same work over again, except that you have to take the tires off again. And, if you are willing to work around the tires, you really don't need to take them off to do the shocks -- you do need to take them off to do the springs, and you have to remove the lower mounting bolt for the shocks to get the springs out. But you do not have to mess with the springs to work on the shocks.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #7
silyb0y

My Ride: E46 330
Bilstein B4 -> twin tube OEM replacement
Bilstein B6 -> mono-tube sport shocks
Bilstein B8 -> mono-tube sport shocks with rebound (in case your car is lowered)

I would buy the B4. They are good and cheap. You dont have to worry about ride height or package or what not. There are two different B4 shock absorbers for the front suspension (one for standard E46 and one for M-package) but there is only ONE B4 shock absorber for the rear suspension (works with standard E46 and M-package).

Last edited by silyb0y; 04-07-2013 at 04:05 PM.
silyb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #8
Phyberlink

Today I finally installed just one rear coil spring, cause it took me about 7 hours. I got the coils from the dealer from here http://parts.bmwofalexandria.com/sea...3-53-1-095-714
I also got the round rubber. It was easy to remove the broken one, but putting the new one in was a disaster, here is what happened, I went to Autozone to rent the compressors, little that I know, these compressors are big, the size of the machine screws go beyond the size of my barrel springs and therefore there is no clearance to position the springs, upon returning them, I was told that I will need the mini compressors, go figure! I just left. I finally used a broomstick to lower the disk break (covered it with a towel) finally push to shove It sat in position with the lower new rubber disc. The upper round rubber disc was not replaced, cause it looks new still, so I am getting a refund on the uppers. I hate to repeat the same procedure on the other side. I need your help, is there an easy way to replace the other side? When I was at the dealer, the service dept wants about $700 to replace both. I watched YouTube in YouTube he said it took him 7 minutes. What am I doing wrong? The parts I have are from Munich GER this is what the stickers say. I need help, is there a tool I can buy to separate/spread lowering the wheel in so to freely remove old and install new? Why is it so hard? Please help. Thanks
Old 04-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #10
Phyberlink

I replaced both Coil Springs successfully

Both Coils are now new