E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
Post AUTO XI'ers, IDLE VIBRATION PROBLEM FIXED!!!

I know, I've posted many threads about this trying to identify this problem

Heres a little back story:
Upon hitting the 20k mileage mark, my car started to experience a weird vibration whenever the car is in gear (Drive or Reverse) at a stop or basically when the front wheels were not rotating. Upon posting a thread about this, many knowledgable fanatics chimed in with their thoughts on how to fix it, although the help was greatly appreciated, in the end it was still there. This problem puzzled me to the point where I was thinking about selling this car after getting it to 3 differ dealerships, having numerous parts (mounts, bearings, alignmen) replaced the vibration was still there. Shortly after posting my failed threads, many other XIer's with auto trannys started to chime in with the same problem. Finally we have a solution. After 2 people with auto XI's manage to get rid of their vibrations.

The problem:

Appearantly, the problem is related to the front output shafts. PPL with auto transmissions notice it more because the car is always in gear at a stop. Im not sure if it has plagued ppl with manual transmissions yet as you can put the car in neutral and not feel a thing but yet the problem still might exist. Anyways, I still don't know what would cause the axles to crap out like that or how it causes a vibration, but so far it has been the best cure. I have scheduled an appointment with my dealership early this week to get the problem fix so I can once again ENJOY riding a BMW.

For those with this problem here are 2 different invoices from 2 different dealerships in 2 different locations as proof that these parts need to be replace in order to fix the problem. In addition testimonial from the fanatics. The first invoice is from e46fanatics, the 2nd one is from bimmerfest forums.

Testimony from user: arshisb (330XI)

"My 330xi with 35k miles had a very annoying vibration when the car was at D or in Reverse gear at a stand still. I have an automatic BTW. So much that the CD cases in my dash would vibrate & make noise of their own ! I took it to the dealer & they replaced the axles & now the vibration is gone."

*INVOICE FROM: Momentum BMW in Houston

Testimony from user instarBMW(bimmerfest) (325xiT)

"UPDATE

I picked up the car this afternoon and the annoying vibration is completely gone. Talk about a relief! I was at the point of trading off the car, but thanks to all the suggestions here I decided to give it one more chance. I'm glad I did . . . I would sorely miss my Bimmer."

As of now this seems to be the best fix, for those who use this to fix your XI please CHIME in and post your invoice! There is no guarantee that this problem is gone for good as the part numbers for the parts being replaced are the same as the parts being taken out... meaning that BMW is unaware of this problem, but if we get enough complaints they may create a recall hopefully

HAPPY MOTORING PPL!

Last edited by bmwstephen; 03-26-2007 at 07:53 PM.
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
xjunmoonx

My Ride: BLOODY MARY
wow thanks for the info!

Progress Thread
xjunmoonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
verbalassaulta

My Ride: 03 330xi
Mine is at the dealer now for this problem.

I gave the dealer the invoice that was posted. Not sure if they have taken it seriously, but when i called at the end of the day they stated they where getting a "national bmw engineer' involved. So will have to see tomorrow what is done.
verbalassaulta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
bmwstephen

best of luck, keep us posted, i hope they take care of you. these axles are $400 a piece
Old 03-26-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
I feel this sometimes when the car has just started its engine, for about 5 minutes, and then it's gone. Is the vibration a constant thing throughout ?

- Retired -
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:21 PM   #6
bmwstephen

how many miles are on your car? it happens to the majority of people that are AUTO tranny XIer's. the morning vibration you feel is probably the engine trying to warm up and it affects all 3 series cars (I think? correct me if im wrong). The vibration we experience is constant and happens when ur car is in drive or reverse when your foot is the brake or when your car coasts to a stop

Last edited by bmwstephen; 03-26-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #7
///A

My Ride: e92 335is JB4
Oh, all right, then I'm safe for now

- Retired -
///A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #8
xbluedr4gonx

My Ride: 2.5L I6
hrmm, i dont have an XI, but i got the SAME PROBLEM!!!!! what should i tell my dealership when i take it in for warranty check up.??...i also got a broken xenon ignitor.....
xbluedr4gonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #9
bmwstephen

tell me about your problem, cause if ur's isnt an XI i highly doubt its as serious as ours
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
interesting my friend has an Xi auto, i dont think ive noticed such a thing...yet.

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:09 AM   #11
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
I have an auto XI with 65k Km on it and I started noticing the rattle probably 10k ago. Basically, the when I'm at a stop, there's vibration in the cabin, just a lil rumble I can feel in the seat, the arm rest. Sometimes it's a littler rattle, other times, the right side mirrors starts to rattle because of the vibrations. Is it about the same kind of symptoms your car had?

I'll probably be bringing the car to the dealership soon to have them check it out, i'm just praying it's not actually the engine that's shaking violently...
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
bmwstephen

those are the EXACT symptoms Im having. the right side mirror rattles, vibrations under the seat only in the front cabin
Old 03-27-2007, 08:36 PM   #13
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
those are the EXACT symptoms Im having. the right side mirror rattles, vibrations under the seat only in the front cabin
Alright, i'll check it out at the dealership. I'm not sure if they will replace it under warranty though.. How's the drive right now? Much much smoother?
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
bmwstephen

they will have to if u have warranty, just print out these invoices and show them
Old 03-27-2007, 09:55 PM   #15
wooboodoo

My Ride: is alpine white...
Hmmm...
Guys I have couple questions,
My car is from 03/2003 thats mean I have warranty 4 more days to end of march? or all 2007 year?
The dealer from was bought my car is in different state, I have to go there with this problem or can go to any bmw dealer?
Before I'll go to the dealer I have to take off H&R springs and put back OEM springs or not?
and what about miles? I have already 96,000 miles on the meter.

Thanks for any help,
woo

No matter which BMW model you drive, pure chiseled performance is the
pulsating heart of its DNA. Yet the 13th letter of the alphabet takes every
BMW built-in performance advantage and amps it up to the Mth degree.
Call it the Year of M.
D. Randy Riggs
wooboodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #16
bmwstephen

when did you buy your car?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:08 PM   #17
wooboodoo

let me find the book, I have all documentation in.

Call it the Year of M.
D. Randy Riggs
Old 03-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #18
wooboodoo

OK,
I can't find when exactly, but I have note when this car was registered first time 06/26/2003 with the mileage 10.
Also in service and warranty information book I have note Retail/In-Service Date 04/30/2003.

Call it the Year of M.
D. Randy Riggs
Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 PM   #19
bmwstephen

what is your current mileage? if its under 50,000 ur good.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #20
verbalassaulta

My Ride: 03 330xi
Update

Got my car back today. Dealer had it for two days and did squat . They stated the invoice(the one posted here) I gave them wouldnt solve the problem and questioned its authenticity . Then went on to say they compared it to another 330xi and had the same vibration. So now(after taking it there twice) after saying there was a problem present they are trying to tell me there is no problem.

After this I was kinda pissed. So I ended up talking to the head Tech and got it out of him that there was a problem and that he was going to talk the the BMW engineer that visits them this week and see if there has been any service buletins. So I highly doubt I will get anything out of them and they have pretty much lost my business(Sewickley BMW out of Pittsburgh).

btw my car only has about 36k on it
verbalassaulta is offline   Reply With Quote