E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #21
wooboodoo

My Ride: is alpine white...
my has 96,000 miles
anyway guys and you bmwstephen thank you very much.

regards,
woo

No matter which BMW model you drive, pure chiseled performance is the
pulsating heart of its DNA. Yet the 13th letter of the alphabet takes every
BMW built-in performance advantage and amps it up to the Mth degree.
Call it the Year of M.
D. Randy Riggs
wooboodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:09 AM   #22
xbluedr4gonx

My Ride: 2.5L I6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
tell me about your problem, cause if ur's isnt an XI i highly doubt its as serious as ours
Although mine is not an XI, i honestly feel i have the same problem. When i throw it in reverse or drive, the rpms drop or is different from that of park and neutral when only on the brake. I feel a strong vibration throughout the car and i think it is making my exhaust rattle. People in my car hear the rattle and feel the vibrations. People outside hears some kind of rattle. umm i just hit 38k on my car and it is an '03.
xbluedr4gonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #23
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
do you feel it on the front? basically behind the engine but before the rear passenger seats? if you feel it throughout the car i think your problem maybe the exhaust hanger because regular I's their axle shafts are different as you guys do not put power to the front wheels since ur rwd
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #24
bmwstephen

verbalassaulta , have them call the other dealership and talk to their techs, thats what the other dealership did to prove the legitamcy of the invoice. honest to god how do the think us normal customers are capable of forging an invoice like that? I'm taking my car in next monday to have it looked at. My S.A. Mike Kyle, at Stevens Creek BMW is really cool, he acknowledge the problem compared to the BMW dealership in Fremont who simply played it off and said that there was no vibration.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:10 PM   #25
bmwstephen

just dropped off my car today, should be getting it back later this week. Expect a 3rd invoice for more proof to fix this problem
Old 04-02-2007, 07:21 PM   #26
verbalassaulta

My Ride: 03 330xi
Update on mine.

Dealer called this past friday, and stated they had another XI in with the same problem...there BMW Enginneer stated they where gonna change the motor mounts(which from what i've read isnt the source of the problem) on the current car in the shop and get back to me. Will keep posted
verbalassaulta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:45 PM   #27
bmwstephen

just picked up my car today, all vibrations are gone except for the low rumble caused from my exhaust. will post my invoice up later. BMWNA was also hesitant about it, but my SA fought for itand got it through.

for some reason, there was another person who had an XIT at the dealership with a similar problem, tried to use my solution to fix the problem on the same day. His vibration was still there when he picked it up. It occurs with the same symptoms as ours, but there maybe more to it. I'm seriously starting to think it being transmission related.

Last edited by bmwstephen; 04-05-2007 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:33 PM   #28
phawx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Good stuff! Wow, glad to see that you've found the solution Stephen! I've pretty much given up in the past little while, trying just to cope with it hah... Maybe I'll go talk to the SA at my dealership once exams are over.
$400 per shaft and I need two though? Ouch... that's a bit pricey...
Waiting to see your scanned invoice!

"Hi, I'm Derek!"
2002 TiAg 325xi: 35% Tint - Eibach pro kit springs - Koni dampers - clears signal lights - taped moldings - 17" ZHP replica rims
phawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:14 PM   #29
bmwstephen

i'll get it scanned tomorrow, tischer bmw should sell it for 20% less, pm jason. although mine is fixed now, to be honest I am still hesitant, because the XIT in front of my car at the dealership went through the same fix but still had the problem.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #30
bmwstephen

sorry for the crappy pic's folks, my scanner died, so i had to use my digital camera

Old 04-10-2007, 12:43 PM   #31
Limited_Slip
Banned

My Ride: e30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbluedr4gonx View Post
Although mine is not an XI, i honestly feel i have the same problem. When i throw it in reverse or drive, the rpms drop or is different from that of park and neutral when only on the brake. I feel a strong vibration throughout the car and i think it is making my exhaust rattle. People in my car hear the rattle and feel the vibrations. People outside hears some kind of rattle. umm i just hit 38k on my car and it is an '03.
I have the SAME EXACT problem.

This problem occurs ocassionally and not all the time. If I idle at a stationary position for more than 1-2 minutes (with brake pedal fully depressed) my car will viberate heavy. If I immediately go to Nuetral then the problem goes away. As soon as I put it in "DRIVE" or "REVERSE" and wait for 1-2 minutes the problem will come back.

my mechanic just replaced my flex disc
my mechanic just replaced my tranny mount
my mechanic removed/install my output shaft (due to diff swap).

Man..this is really upsetting me.
Limited_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:25 PM   #32
phawx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited_Slip View Post
I have the SAME EXACT problem.

This problem occurs ocassionally and not all the time. If I idle at a stationary position for more than 1-2 minutes (with brake pedal fully depressed) my car will viberate heavy. If I immediately go to Nuetral then the problem goes away. As soon as I put it in "DRIVE" or "REVERSE" and wait for 1-2 minutes the problem will come back.

my mechanic just replaced my flex disc
my mechanic just replaced my tranny mount
my mechanic removed/install my output shaft (due to diff swap).

Man..this is really upsetting me.
No luck after all that work done by ur mechanic?? Daang...
I still have yet to go to the dealership with those invoices from this forum. Gotta clear exams first (oh gaaaad...) Will let you guys know what happens.

"Hi, I'm Derek!"
2002 TiAg 325xi: 35% Tint - Eibach pro kit springs - Koni dampers - clears signal lights - taped moldings - 17" ZHP replica rims
phawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #33
Limited_Slip
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phawx View Post
No luck after all that work done by ur mechanic?? Daang...
I still have yet to go to the dealership with those invoices from this forum. Gotta clear exams first (oh gaaaad...) Will let you guys know what happens.
I have a regular "I" sedan and not a all wheel drive "XI"

my car never had the problem. however, when I replaced those things as mentioned above it started to give me the problem. I am pissed now
Old 04-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #34
bmwstephen

hrmm, limited slip, xbluedr4gonx , i think your problem maybe cam sensor related or possibly idle control valve because although your vibrations are similar than ours, ours happen the moment we stop.

It couldbe one of the camshaft position sensors because they are a direct link with the transmission electronics. Without a signal from the pos. sensors, the tranny chooses the best default shift point based on hydraulic pressures and stuff. Some people had faulty sensors in their car and did not have any codes stored.

Don't quote me on it, but I've read this up on the bentley manual. Anyways the sensors are around $70-90 bucks brand new and the exhaust sensor is an easy DIY if yo uwant to give us a try. let us know whats going on

Last edited by bmwstephen; 04-10-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #35
Limited_Slip
Banned

Hmm....you might be right. However, I recently replaced both my cam (exhaust + intake) sensors.

The idle control valve is interesting though. Also, the exhaust hanger theory is also interesting.

What I want to know is why would the problem go away in nuetral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
hrmm, limited slip, xbluedr4gonx , i think your problem maybe cam sensor related or possibly idle control valve because although your vibrations are similar than ours, ours happen the moment we stop.

It couldbe one of the camshaft position sensors because they are a direct link with the transmission electronics. Without a signal from the pos. sensors, the tranny chooses the best default shift point based on hydraulic pressures and stuff. Some people had faulty sensors in their car and did not have any codes stored.

Don't quote me on it, but I've read this up on the bentley manual. Anyways the sensors are around $70-90 bucks brand new and the exhaust sensor is an easy DIY if yo uwant to give us a try. let us know whats going on
Old 04-10-2007, 06:30 PM   #36
bmwstephen

Did you replace the sensors during those attempted fixes?

do one more check for me, see if it goes away when your car is coasting from a stop. It probably goes away in neutral because the transmission is communicating with the sensors to tell the engine to take it much more easier since it isn't expected to do any work. When you're in gear and your at a stop, assuming you have an auto, the way it idles is completely different than that of a manual, the transmission is always engaging the engine so that it is constantly adjustig itself for idle.

i've created another thread just for you me and the other fanatic experiencing the problem. if you have any updates go chime into that thread.

edit: also if your exhaust is expelling white dense smoke it means oil has leaked into your combustion chamber

Last edited by bmwstephen; 04-10-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:35 PM   #37
Limited_Slip
Banned

hey...thanks

off topic...

did you ever figure out the idle RPM problem from D to N

Like you, my RPM shift higher when I switch my step tranny to Nuetral
Old 04-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #38
bmwstephen

i have no idea why but i can take a swing at it

when you first got you car did it do that?

im guessing the reason why it does that now is because one of the sensors like i said may be faulty even though its not throwing any codes. the sensors communicate with the transmission and the regulate engine rpm and characteristics so all signs may point to a sensor problem. god help bmw if its a transmission problem.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #39
NHskibm

My Ride: E46, E36, E30
Hey, just seeing this thread. My GF and I just picked up a COP 325xi a week and a half ago.

I noticed the same vibration right away. In fact, there are other problems as well. The car has 39K on it and I replaced the factory airbox with an AFE and took out the ignition coils and put in the Bav Auto ones. Lo and Behold the car has now misfired on all 6 cylinders, it nearly died on her (of course this could be bad coils) and to top it off I think her water pump is about to go. Needless to say I have a vibration in reverse and drive at a dead stop and even a vibration while driving (water pump I think).

This thread will be coming with me tonight when I drop off the car!!

Thanks!

P.S. Anyone else have an ignition coil experience like mine?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 AM   #40
Limited_Slip
Banned

I have the bav auto ignition coils. no problem what so ever