E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #41
NHskibm

My Ride: E46, E36, E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limited_Slip View Post
hey...thanks

off topic...

did you ever figure out the idle RPM problem from D to N

Like you, my RPM shift higher when I switch my step tranny to Nuetral
There is a software update for Auto trannys from the dealer that will take care of the delay between R N and D. Supposedly there was an issue with the transmission having a 2 second delay.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:43 PM   #42
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
i also forgot to mention one more sensor, the O2 sensors, because its in the headers, they tell the ecu its oxygen levels so that it may adjust the engine accordingly
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #43
bmwstephen

NOTE* alright XI'ers as of now I have concluded that this fix should be the last on your list to fix (the output shafts) because they are the most expensive ones. Some fanatics who do not have I's also share similar symptoms.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:58 AM   #44
NHskibm

Just an FYI - '04 XI also being taken care of at the dealer. I brought in this thread and they are doing the work as well. Will post as soon as I get the car back. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:57 AM   #45
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
those are the EXACT symptoms Im having. the right side mirror rattles, vibrations under the seat only in the front cabin
Urgh... I just got back from the dealership, they say my engine is acting up because of air intake. They say the MAF might be busted and is reading the oxygen intake incorrectly, causing the engine to act up.

I think i'll put my stock one back on and try to clean the MAF. Do you think that could be the only cause of the symptoms? I really haven`t felt any lost of power, it`s really when it`s idle that the cabin shakes...
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #46
bmwstephen

it is possible, because even at idle, your throttle body takes a small volume of air in in orer to keep the engine spinning at idle. The MAF is another sensor (right in front of the idle control valve and throttle body are other sensors) that communicates with the transmission at idle, so go give it a good clean. It's worth a try before you end up having to invest some serious $$ to fix this problem.

i'll run more tests this wweekend, till then everyone with the vibrations do their part and update so we can get this annoying piece of crap that plague our expensive BMW's fixed once and for all

Last edited by bmwstephen; 04-12-2007 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #47
KYC

Quote:
it is possible, because even at idle, your throttle body takes a small volume of air in in orer to keep the engine spinning at idle. The MAF is another sensor (right in front of the idle control valve which is another sensor) that communicates with the transmission at idle, so go give it a good clean. It's worth a try before you end up having to invest some serious $$ to fix this problem.

i'll run more tests this wweekend, till then everyone with the vibrations do their part and update so we can get this annoying piece of crap that plague our expensive BMW's fixed once and for all
Man your lightning quick on your replies!

Thanks for the info and keep up the good work, I'll update this thread if there's any news.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 AM   #48
bmwstephen

lol, I have instant notification for this thread. trust me im really annoyed at the fact that I payed for a car that is suppose to be superior in every way but yet my 86 honda can idle smoother
Old 04-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #49
NHskibm

While having the car in for the axles I had them run codes as I was getting misfires in all 6 cylinders. Voila!! MAF!

They claim that the oil from the AFE caused the sensor to wear and they are replacing it. Luckily they are doing on warranty. I DON'T think the oil is really causing the issue. I'm thinking it is just a bad MAF.

Once I get the car back and post the bill you'll see all the work that they did to correct misfires (which cause rough engines) and the axle issue.

Also they are replacing the tensioner on the altinator and two motor mounts. Mind you this is an '04 with 39,000 miles, and a CPO I picked up two mondays ago!!! I have another E46 an E36 and an E30 and so far NONE of them have had the issues this 325xi has!!! What's up with that???
Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #50
KYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHskibm View Post
While having the car in for the axles I had them run codes as I was getting misfires in all 6 cylinders. Voila!! MAF!

They claim that the oil from the AFE caused the sensor to wear and they are replacing it. Luckily they are doing on warranty. I DON'T think the oil is really causing the issue. I'm thinking it is just a bad MAF.

Once I get the car back and post the bill you'll see all the work that they did to correct misfires (which cause rough engines) and the axle issue.

Also they are replacing the tensioner on the altinator and two motor mounts. Mind you this is an '04 with 39,000 miles, and a CPO I picked up two mondays ago!!! I have another E46 an E36 and an E30 and so far NONE of them have had the issues this 325xi has!!! What's up with that???

Lucky for you, my dealer is not being as comprehensive. Did you have lots of vibrations in the cabin as well?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #51
bmwstephen

jesus the past owner beat the hell out of that xi if it has that many problems with so low miles
Old 04-12-2007, 11:30 AM   #52
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
You might want to look at the harmonic balancer. If it goes bad, it can fool the computer into thinking that there is an engine misfire. I learned the hard way. I replaced all 6 coils (twice), injectors, vanos unit, maf, both cam sensors, crank sensor, O2 sensors, fuel pump, fuel filter, oil temp sensor, water temp sensor, water pump, thermostat, throttle pedal, DME and spark plugs. The car had a vibration and the engine would shut off the fuel to #3 cyl as it thought the engine was misfiring. Turn the ignition off and back on, problem went away until you hit 6421rpm in 5th gear. I even used my spare car harness to isolate the DME from the ABS and instrument cluster. Problem still existed.

I took the engine apart (again) and discovered that the balancer was shot. I put on a used one and the problem was fixed.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #53
NHskibm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
You might want to look at the harmonic balancer. If it goes bad, it can fool the computer into thinking that there is an engine misfire. I learned the hard way. I replaced all 6 coils (twice), injectors, vanos unit, maf, both cam sensors, crank sensor, O2 sensors, fuel pump, fuel filter, oil temp sensor, water temp sensor, water pump, thermostat, throttle pedal, DME and spark plugs. The car had a vibration and the engine would shut off the fuel to #3 cyl as it thought the engine was misfiring. Turn the ignition off and back on, problem went away until you hit 6421rpm in 5th gear. I even used my spare car harness to isolate the DME from the ABS and instrument cluster. Problem still existed.

I took the engine apart (again) and discovered that the balancer was shot. I put on a used one and the problem was fixed.
Damn.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #54
NHskibm

Quote:
jesus the past owner beat the hell out of that xi if it has that many problems with so low miles
That's the funny thing. The car is a purchase for my GF. Orient Blue Metallic with Sand Leather interior. NOT a sport package. Wood trim. AUTO.

First. The above describes a CHICK car (although I admit it is a nice looking car).

Second. Must have been a lousy driver.

Third. Bought it from Westchester BMW. That's White Plains NY. Just north of the city.

Still don't get it.

Luckily my local dealer, IRA motorgroup in Stratham, NH, has had all of my cars there and get quite a bit of business. Plus the service writer I deal with hooks me up as best he can and will usually do everything through warranty. He also turns wrenches on weekends and is younger.

Definitely helps to have a good service writer that isn't a stickler.

If any of your are in the area call Adam Silvoni at BMW of Stratham. He'll hook you up. Also Brain Flanagan is a sales agent and a fellow E46fanatic. He'll help all as well if you are ever in the market.

Nonetheless. As soon as I get my write-up back I'll post. Hopefully it'll help some of you with these other problems.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:38 PM   #55
bmwstephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post

what he said is also true, but are harmonic balancers are pretty sturdy but you should check it anyways, if you notice the balancer wobbling while its spinning then yes it is shot, the balancer is near the pulleys
Old 04-12-2007, 03:51 PM   #56
Limited_Slip
Banned

My Ride: e30
Quote:
what he said is also true, but are harmonic balancers are pretty sturdy but you should check it anyways, if you notice the balancer wobbling while its spinning then yes it is shot, the balancer is near the pulleys

Woah. what is a harmonic balancers. where do I find it?
Limited_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:55 PM   #57
bmwstephen

i woudlnt worry about those that much, their failure rate is less than that of anything else in your car. Anyways to locate it, its behind the fan, its a flat disc next to the pulleys that absorb tention and vibrations from the engine to smooth out and balance the harmonics
Old 04-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #58
Limited_Slip
Banned

My Ride: e30
Quote:
i woudlnt worry about those that much, their failure rate is less than that of anything else in your car. Anyways to locate it, its behind the fan, its a flat disc next to the pulleys that absorb tention and vibrations from the engine to smooth out and balance the harmonics

So does this mean every pullies have their own harmonic balancer or just the pulley that is spin the fan (cluth fan/water pump pully)
Limited_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 06:02 PM   #59
bmwstephen

no the harmonic balancer is a pulley itself, it is the first pulley that is in front of the engine block.

like i said before check your exhaust pipe muffler at idle when you're in gear, have someone look for u, if it is rumbling then it is DEF not any harmnoic or pulley related
Old 04-13-2007, 05:42 PM   #60
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
The balancer is bolted on the front of the crankshaft. They can fail and not wobble. Mine was even rotated 20deg. Usually, if you just toodle around on the street, they are OK. When I get to it, I'll post a pic of a bad one and a good one.