E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #81
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
bump
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #82
bmwstephen

update:

no real progress, but for the first time in a long time the car idled smooth until the temp gauge reached the middle. I dunno why it did that, but I did not drive the car for nearly 2 days and once i started the car i didnt even let it warm up.
Old 05-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #83
phawx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Hey Stephen, sorry for disappearing. I didn't end up testing the muffler, as after going to track, it seems that the rough idling seems to have disappeared (it showed up once or twice for the past two weeks).
One thing that I realized - how often do you guys change your engine oil? Apparently, according to my mechanic, I didn't change my engine oil enough previously (he told me to give it a sniff, and ya, I could smell it >___<) so there's a lot of residue inside the engine, but supposedly after taking it to the track and giving it a good run, I would burn the dirty stuff off.
I'm wondering whether this may be the culprit of our problem - engine oil residue? I changed my oil right before going to the track too. It would at least be something to consider?
If this is a case, it would be quite an interesting fix - "take your car to a race track for a day and push it to its limit"... hrmmm...

"Hi, I'm Derek!"
2002 TiAg 325xi: 35% Tint - Eibach pro kit springs - Koni dampers - clears signal lights - taped moldings - 17" ZHP replica rims
phawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 11:17 PM   #84
bmwstephen

haha thats a good excuse to take my car to the limit
Old 05-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #85
phawx

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Keep in mind that going to track is a tad different than driving full-out on the streets. It's just not possible to keep ur engine running at high RPMs for a consistent amount of time (aside from highway chases) while on the street.

But ya, it sure is worth a try! Or you could just change out the engine oil more often and see if there are any improvements.

"Hi, I'm Derek!"
2002 TiAg 325xi: 35% Tint - Eibach pro kit springs - Koni dampers - clears signal lights - taped moldings - 17" ZHP replica rims
phawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #86
Limited_Slip
Banned

My Ride: e30
hey why is this thread being moved to the TRACK/AUTO-CROSS forum?
Limited_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:34 AM   #87
bmwstephen

hey lmited slip what spark plugs are your running again?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:37 AM   #88
Limited_Slip
Banned

My Ride: e30
I am running with Iridium IK20
Limited_Slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 PM   #89
KYC

My Ride: 2003 325 xi
I just got the car back from the dealership, they said that my engine mount was cracked. Had that changed. I think the vibration is a little less, but there still is some vibration left. I'm going to drive around and see how it is.
KYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #90
Colin Hughes

My Ride: 1999 323i, 1991 E30
We recently purchased a 2002 325xi. I have the vibration issue in D & R, slipping into neutral settles it down but it is still there. I'm puzzled why the vibration would be caused by the axles if they are not moving at a stop. I also have a shimmy/shake when the car is under acceleration from a stop but once I've eased off on the gas it goes away. My garage says it's the axles in the front so maybe one thing will cure both issues. I just don't have the spare cash to be throwing at the problem hoping it will be resolved.
Colin Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 09:28 PM   #91
bmwstephen

yeah the problem just came back to me. Id suggest you hold off your money until i find a solution. Im still under warranty so its an ongoing issue. Im also experiencing that shimmy under acceleration from a stop
Old 12-07-2007, 07:50 AM   #92
pcdsl

My Ride: 2002 330xi
I think I have the same issue. It is just when the car is starting in the winter. This doesn't happen in the summer. Anyways, it only happens if I have the heat on in the winter. The car idles closer to 1000rpm. After about 10-15min of driving it would go back to being smooth at around 600rpm. This problem is only when the car is in Drive or Reverse. But if I turn the heat off as I am stopped in Drive, the vibration goes away. Does this happen to you guys also?
pcdsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #93
Colin Hughes

Thanks Stephen. I look forward to hearing how you make out. I've got a friend/tech up here who builds and races BMW's and he's been away in Florida for a few weeks racing so I haven't had a chance to take the car to him. He's back next week so I'll get my wife to drop by and see him. Except for the shimmy off a start and the vibrations, it's a beautiful car. I can't help think they are related.
Old 12-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #94
weaksauce

My Ride: bmw
OK, I replaced my motor mounts and it helped alot. I also flushed the tranny fluid and replaced it, and it seems to have smoothed out. I have 144k miles on my 330i with the 5hp19 tranny.
weaksauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #95
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Jeff, why did you buy new ones when you could have bought mine?
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:57 AM   #96
Crescent_City

My Ride: 330XI
Send a message via AIM to Crescent_City Send a message via Yahoo to Crescent_City
Wait to find out the root cause of this problem.

I made the mistake of having the 1) front axles replaced, motor mounts replaced, spark plugs, 02 sensors, cam shaft sensors, control arms brackets, and the problem (vibration) is still there. I find it hard to believe that this is "normal" as some repair shops report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Hughes View Post
We recently purchased a 2002 325xi. I have the vibration issue in D & R, slipping into neutral settles it down but it is still there. I'm puzzled why the vibration would be caused by the axles if they are not moving at a stop. I also have a shimmy/shake when the car is under acceleration from a stop but once I've eased off on the gas it goes away. My garage says it's the axles in the front so maybe one thing will cure both issues. I just don't have the spare cash to be throwing at the problem hoping it will be resolved.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #97
Colin Hughes

I had my 325xi in the shop Friday for an alternator. Had the tech look at the motor mounts. He told me both motor mounts and trans mount were toast and needed to be replaced. Are the two motor mounts both different looking. It seems from the parts website I'm looking at they are (see link below). Can anyone confirm? Thanks.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...58&hg=22&fg=05
Old 01-29-2008, 07:24 AM   #98
Colin Hughes

We had the front drive shafts replaced this past week. Both were really bad with lots of play and now that they've been replaced, the vibration and shaking under acceleration is gone! The vibration at idle is still there but not as bad. The front motor mounts are tired and the engine is sagging a small bit. My mechanic says it's okay for now but this is the source of the vibration at idle.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:26 PM   #99
bmwstephen

this sounds interesting:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=543001
Old 02-20-2008, 02:33 AM   #100
bmwstephen

quoting: oc330cic

"
I don't know what BMW calls it, but ABS systems need a vacuum reservoir to activate the brakes. It sounds like you have a leak that is bleeding off too much air when you're applying the brakes unless you also increase RPM."