E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-30-2007, 01:19 AM   #1
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Soft brake pedal after pad change...?????

I just changed out my OEM brake pads and put on some Hawk HPS street pads, but now my brake pedal feels a bit soft. I drove it for a half hour, and it didn't really get any stiffer. The car stops well, but I just don't have as much resistance in the brake pedal. I also tried just pumping my brakes for 5 minutes, and that didn't do anything, really.

Any thoughts??? HELP!!

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
qooldude

My Ride: 328i, M3 & Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I just changed out my OEM brake pads and put on some Hawk HPS street pads, but now my brake pedal feels a bit soft. I drove it for a half hour, and it didn't really get any stiffer. The car stops well, but I just don't have as much resistance in the brake pedal. I also tried just pumping my brakes for 5 minutes, and that didn't do anything, really.

Any thoughts??? HELP!!
Low on brake fluid? Properly bed the brake pads?
qooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
rmatt8748

My Ride: a car
Send a message via AIM to rmatt8748
weird

i'm assumingg that you bedded the pads, but i dont see why the pedal would be soft

maybe some fluid leaked out air bubble?

i dont know what else would cause a soft pedal?

goodluck and hopefully its not a safety issue
rmatt8748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
HAWAI'I

My Ride: M3 cabrio, etc.
bleed it to be safe.

HAWAI'I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Ispeed

My Ride: 2005 M3
Send a message via AIM to Ispeed
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAI'I View Post
bleed it to be safe.
what he said !
2009 RR Sport
Ispeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWAI'I View Post
bleed it to be safe.
The pedal did go back to a normal feel for the most part. I'm going to bleed them just the same to be safe. I might switch out fluid to some high-heat stuff while I'm at it.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-31-2007, 11:57 AM   #7
M3peat

My Ride: 03 E46 M3
Anytime you put new pads in, you must bed them in. Your rotors have a thin layer of the old pad material on it and now you need to get a layer of the new pad material on it. Bite will be much improved.

bedding brakes here:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
M3peat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
LagunaBlau///M3

My Ride: HEMI powered AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3peat View Post
Anytime you put new pads in, you must bed them in. Your rotors have a thin layer of the old pad material on it and now you need to get a layer of the new pad material on it. Bite will be much improved.

bedding brakes here:
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

i usaly just buy brand new rotor's when i do my brakes....probably switch over to stoptechs or something when i do mine.......no need for BBK for me........yet

2010 SRT8 Challenger (mildly built motor)
2007 SRT8 Jeep Cherokee SRT8 SOLD!
2006 Subaru STI highly modified SOLD!
2003.5 E46 M3 (the smurf) SOLD!
LagunaBlau///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
M3peat

My Ride: 03 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaBlau///M3 View Post
i usaly just buy brand new rotor's when i do my brakes....probably switch over to stoptechs or something when i do mine.......no need for BBK for me........yet
why? I'm sure there is plenty of life in those rotors, usually more than double or triple the life of the pads.
M3peat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
Reedo302

I'm racing at MidAmerica Motorplex in Iowa next weekend, so the pads will be fried by Sunday. I'm putting new UUC gas slotted rotors on and new pads after it all, so this should just be a temporary fix.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
///Bruce

My Ride: 2003.5 M3C
Notice: If you only replaced the pads and not the rotors as well, the rotors have over the course of time have adapted to the previous pads. When you install new pads, it takes some time for them to adjust to the uneven wear of the rotor surface.

I believe they wear unevenly going from the inner most point outward. So, in effect, they (the pads) need to wear down so the entire surface area eventualy matches the uneven wear of the rotors.

You're going to have to give it a few hundred miles and then, one day, she's gonna grab hard. At that point, you'll know the pads are fully bedded.

The only other way around this is to replace the rotors at the same time you replace the pads, but this is not very practical.

Don't force the wear process; it will happen soon enough. And, remember, give yourself a little extra stopping distance until such time that the pads have fully bedded themselves.
///Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:05 PM   #12
pstu007

My Ride: 2004 330CD M Coupe
Spongy brakes after pad change

Hey man that's great advice- I just changed my pads today and have more spongy travel in my pedal than before- I didn't change my rotors. Now I understand why the pedal feel is more spongy and the travel farther. I can see that the pads are not totally flat to the face of the rotors- the rotors have a small edge on them so I guess the bedding in process applies to me too then!! And my BMW dealer in Liverpool (UK) wanted 190.00 for the labour to change my pads. I don't think so!!
pstu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #13
BWOODM3

My Ride: 2002 M3 convertible
Sounds like you might need to replace the rotors as well.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
BWOODM3 is offline   Reply With Quote