E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 06:46 PM   #21
jammykam

My Ride: 2003 330Ci Step Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoutsis View Post
I posted on a wrong thread!!!
Sorry....
I think your last post still stands The whole WDS probably isn't needed though

It's the same connector that I used to tap into the speaker wires, extra detail is always good and I never took pics of those

The speaker wire block can be taken out from the main block, take out the blue tab on the right (from your first pic) and the speaker block slides out. Then you can take out the individual pins and untwist them to get at them easier.

///Kam

Last edited by jammykam; 04-08-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Spelling!
jammykam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #22
gkoutsis

My Ride: 04 330 Cabrio
I think I might have made a mistake on the dual output.....

Apparently there are two different BM54 tuners.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:18 AM   #23
2000silver328i

My Ride: 2000 328i
Could I have this set up on my 00' 328i? My armrest in the backseat looks different from yours. The armrest is big and bulky. Are the older e46's different in the backseat compared to the face lift e46's? If this could work in my bimmer than I am gonna throw a JL Audio 10" w6v2 back there and feed it 800 watts

Trent
Old 04-10-2007, 06:03 AM   #24
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Looks great!
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 06:20 AM   #25
gkoutsis

Quote:
My armrest in the backseat looks different from yours. The armrest is big and bulky
But of course yours is different. You have a sedan This a cabrio
Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #26
2000silver328i

My Ride: 2000 328i
I need more bass...

Quote:
But of course yours is different. You have a sedan This a cabrio
Ah I see.. Well sucks that I can't throw a sub in the back seat... Guess I'll have to find a big ported box for the bass I want... If there is anything I could to do to the backseat/trunk area to improve the amount of bass you can hear in the car, please lemme know. Is there any soundproofing material I could cut out? I am disappointed with how much bass is lost in the trunk. Right now I have 2 12" JL Audio w1v2's in a sealed box with a 800watt Pioneer amp. Reviews of this set up generally say it bumps really hard, but it doesn't in my car. Of course it is really loud outside the car, but not in the car! When you stand outside the car it sounds like the trunk is going to rattle off. Kinda rambled off there sorry but if you have advice/tips to help me get more bass outta my JL's lemme know please! Otherwise I am gonna spend a lot of money and buy some expensive JL's to get the big bass I want........ Thanks!

Trent
Old 04-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #27
Howard330cic

My Ride: bmw 330cic
Think you could me an idea of the dimensions so that I might try this, it looks like it came out great.
H.
Howard330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:11 AM   #28
gkoutsis

Hey Kam, how did you secure the MDF box to the chassis?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #29
jammykam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard330cic View Post
Think you could me an idea of the dimensions so that I might try this, it looks like it came out great.
H.
Can't remember the exact dimensions, if you got a 'vert then just measure up. It was about 11.5" x 11.75". The sub is 10", the cut out of which again not sure cos I used the template which came with it but guess around 9.75".

I initially measured up and was a little out so just ran back and forth to the radial arm saw till it was perfect.

Quote:
Hey Kam, how did you secure the MDF box to the chassis?
Hey George, first off, congratulations on the wedding. Post some pics of your rice filled cab, hehehe, musta been a ****er to clean after!

Attaching it to the chassis is easy. You need to drill 4 holes from the boot. If memory serves me right I used a 4mm HSS bit. You just screwing into the MDF uprights but from the back. If you get the size right then the box will wedge into place pretty tight anyway! I had a radial arm saw set up and just went back and forth taking millimetres off until it was perfect.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #30
gkoutsis

Quote:
Hey George, first off, congratulations on the wedding. Post some pics of your rice filled cab, hehehe, musta been a ****er to clean after!
Thanks buddy!

Here are some pics of the rice filled cab. Indeed it took 20 mins to hoover all the rice out but for some strange reason, it appeared again after driving with the top down for a few hours.

Last edited by gkoutsis; 05-08-2007 at 12:35 AM.
gkoutsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:38 PM   #31
gkoutsis

Hey Kam,

I just noticed...
Is your sub wired in 4ohms or 2ohms?
It looks to me like the second coil is not connected....

Old 06-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #32
jammykam

Hey George

It's wired in 4 ohm, it's a Dual 2 sub which can be wired in 4-ohm or 1-ohm. I actually needed the Dual 4 which can be wired as 2-ohm/8-ohm, which would mean my amp would kick out 350w as opposed to 200w now! Sounds fine though, anyway power I think I'd have bowel troubles!

There's a wire connecting the black dotted terminal on the right and the solid red terminal at the bottom (not shown) so both coils are connected (in series? i forget, bass is affecting brain, lol)

///Kam
Old 06-07-2007, 03:54 AM   #33
gkoutsis

Did you try to connect just one coil so the amp runs at 2ohm?
Old 06-07-2007, 04:11 AM   #34
jammykam

No I didn't, I wasn't sure what would happen with just one coil running (and assumed they were not meant to be run like that). I increased the gains on the amp slightly, put the filter down to 75hz and the LOC gain is up almost to the top as well and it all sounds fine.

If there was not enough bass then I would have taken it back if I could, otherwise sold it on eGay and bought the Dual 4 version.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 PM   #35
MaulMaul

My Ride: 2005 TiAg 330CiC
I just wanted to thank you for the time to post your install. I previously had a JL Audio 8W7 in a sealed enclosure firing directly into the cabin. I was pretty happy with the sound, but every little bit of space is priceless when traveling. I never would have guessed the trunks in a vert would be so tight. Had you not taken the time to post, a lonely set of golf clubs may have been left behind on our trip to Hilton Head. It took me about an hour and a half due in large part to being a little slow witted with power tools. I have experience just very little confidence. I actually installed mine a piece at a time. The sides first and then screwed the front piece on followed by the sub itself. I got it very tight, maybe it will slow a crack head down if not a professional thief. Thanks again for the time it took to post.
MaulMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:45 AM   #36
gkoutsis

Quote:
I just wanted to thank you for the time to post your install.
I am sure Kam has a paypal account and he would more than happy to accept your donations.....
Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #37
laura325ci

My Ride: 2003 x5 3.0 Sport
Send a message via AIM to laura325ci
will this work in a 04 325 coupe?
laura325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:28 AM   #38
gkoutsis

I don't think so as the coupe has folding rear seats.....I could be wrong though.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:42 AM   #39
jammykam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaulMaul View Post
I just wanted to thank you for the time to post your install.
No problems, glad you've got some benefit from it too. As you say, the space saved makes a huge difference in my book too.

Quote:
I am sure Kam has a paypal account and he would more than happy to accept your donations.....
Ha ha ha, yes, all donations kindly accepted

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura325ci View Post
will this work in a 04 325 coupe?
As George says, it depends on whether it has folding seats. If it has fixed seats and an arm rest then you can do it (since there is a blocked up ski pass behind the arm rest)
Old 07-19-2007, 04:37 PM   #40
fayraree

My Ride: 04 M3 vert
Wow.

When I picked up my 2004 M3 Cabrio this last Saturday from a Toronto dealership, your install was the first thing that came to my mind. I just love how so many people think alike in the world.

I still can't believe the bass in my former BONE stock ride, a 1997 Honda Prelude, had deeper, plusher bass. Can not believe it.

Anyway, because of work and family commitments, there's no way I can spend the time to do what you did (nor is it my bag) so I have an offer:

Can I pay for your flight to Toronto, plus a few meals, entertainment, and showing you around Ontario (Niagara Falls, etc.) driven around in my M3, in exchange for you buying all the necessary parts (I would pay you for the cost, of course) and installing everything the way you did, to my car?

I'm serious.
fayraree is offline   Reply With Quote