E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2002, 10:42 PM   #1
Haftalife

My Ride: 325CI
Send a message via AIM to Haftalife
Why are my Xenons not as bright as the older models?

Can I get this adjusted to where it has the light blue glow? Mine Xenon are just bright white.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:46 PM   #2
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
After a while, your Xenons will lose that blue color, thats just a fact u have to live with. What you could do is buy new bulbs from the dealer but I doubt the dealer will reinstall bulbs for free just because you want a blue color. You probably won't care that much about this but I will tell ya ne ways, Xenons are the most powerful when "broken in" (for lack of better words). The white light they produce shine the brightest which will illuminate the road better. If you want the blue color, I would go with the bulbs Audi uses (there was a post about Audi bulbs and they do fit BMW's). Sorry if that doesn't help...
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:35 AM   #3
Haftalife

My Ride: 325CI
Send a message via AIM to Haftalife
Oh I don't want to get new bulbs to replace my Xenons. I just wanted to see if they could adjust the level my light shines at now. I think they lower the voltage on my year because I see 2000 bmw with Xenons with a much bluer look. And mine just looks really bright white.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:45 AM   #4
Karl
Engineer

My Ride: 2001 330xi
The color of a xenon headlamp bulb is a function of its color temperature, a setting that is dervied from the plethora of gases that make up the mixture inside its actual discharge tube. To make a (very) long story short, your xenon lights are no less bright than a "bluer" xenon light, they're probably even brighter - it's just that blue light appears brighter to the human eye. You will have better visibility with a whiter light because it won't desensitize your night vision as much as a bluer light, AND, with the additional light output you will have a sharper contrast with which to discern objects on the road. Blueness is NOT everything.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:12 AM   #5
S4MadMan

My Ride: Heavily Modded S4
It's not about being blue...

...it's about being purplish-white. See here :smile::

S4MadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 02:30 PM   #6
Karl
Engineer

Whether blue or purplish white, brightness is decreased from just plain white.
Old 05-07-2002, 04:39 PM   #7
Enarchy

My Ride: 02 325Ci, PP
Send a message via ICQ to Enarchy
Quote:
Originally posted by Karl
but the look alone is pure eye-candy
Old 05-07-2002, 05:31 PM   #8
S4MadMan

My Ride: Heavily Modded S4
While the aftermarket bulbs do have...

...about 300 to 400 less lumens; 3,200 lumens for stock bulbs vs. about 2,800 to 2,900 lumens for the Philips Ultinon 6,000Ks for instance; I will tell you, I as well as many others feel the 6,000Ks have superior lighting characteristics at night. I have driven with one stock and one 6,000K bulb for quite some time and I see more and better with the 6,000K Bulb.

Also, actually, 6,000K is closer to pure white than 4,300K. Please see the Kelvin Scale below:

But to each his/her own. :smile:

Quote:
Originally posted by Karl
S4MadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 05:38 PM   #9
Karl
Engineer

Heh, well, according to your Kelvin scale, optimal lighting conditions occur under daylight - 5000k - because that's what our eyes are used to (not to mention that colors are also true-to-life). Doing the math, 5000-4300 is a 700k difference, and a 6000-5000 is a 1000k difference, and a 1000k higher difference at that, which is worse because it desensitizes your eyes - ruins your night vision. Although I can't argue against the looks of a set of 6000k's, I can argue for the 4300k's superior lighting characteristics :smile:. And yes, I've ridden in a vehicle with 6000k's and noticed that although they seem brighter, my ability to see beyond the reach of the the headlights is reduced (same for looking to either side of the vehicle).

Last edited by Karl; 05-07-2002 at 05:40 PM.