E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 06:51 AM   #1
jammykam

My Ride: 2003 330Ci Step Vert
HOW TO: Display videos from iPod on Nav Screen (lots of pics!)

About a year ago I bought an 60GB iPod Video. I'd been contemplating buying an iPod for a while but I didn't want to lose my CD Changer. Now the iPod Video was a different beast. It could output any video to a tv... or even the Nav screen on a BMW! But not using the standard cd changer > iPod interfaces...

I've been through 2 incarnations of this now... I've just been *very* slow to post details on what I did!!! But I got there eventually! Having said that, it took me a while deciding on exactly what/how to do this!

I'd orignally been hunting around on info on the DVD used for the sat nav, thinking that it would be possible to unlock it to play DVD movies. During this research I found out that the TV Tuner had an A/V input.

I then did some research on the iPod dock connector, and came across the iPod Linux group and the dock connector pin out . Looking through the pin outs, everything that I needed was there... line out, video out and capability to charge the pod via "firewire" (i.e. 12v from car). The site also provided a link to Ridax site to buy the dock connector.

I'd also found out some info about the Aux In which some people had installed in their car. Well, this post gave the details on how we could make one ourselves http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=14

So everything was almost in place. Problem I still faced was the TV needed to be unlocked and the TV Tuner was only capable of mono input. So I bought a TVonNav Tv-in-motion cable from a forum memeber. This unlocked the TV but also had the feature to switch back to last used audio... this my case it would be the Aux In which was stereo input.

So all the pieces were set for my first attempt at getting the iPod Video onto the screen. Here are the parts I used and what I did...

BMW parts used
B61 13 0 005 197 Contacts for Tv Tuner plug £0.68 each (x4)
B61 13 0 005 198 Contacts for Aux In plug £0.68 each (x3)
B61 13 6 931 929 Plug for Aux In £0.64 each (x1) Plug 3. Note: Part# has changed from realoem listing

Dock Connector Parts
Male Plug F from http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm $2.10 +shipping

And loads of parts from Maplin.co.uk... resistors, male RCA's, female RCA's, stereo wire, 9-core wire for dock cable, 4 pole change-over switch etc...

So using the BMW parts and the link for the aux in I made a switch box. I used RCA inputs for these so it was as generic as possible so that I could plug *anything* into the screen/aux in. This was simply for future expansion, no real need for it since I would only be using it for the iPod, but it was much easier to do it now (and why the hell not, just for the fun of it). The stereo input was bridged using a 10k resistor (i think, can't remember) and the output from that track went to the mono audio input tv tuner. That way the tv tuner would always have sound as well, even if it was in rubbish mono.

And here are some pics of the switch box in the making...

Contacts for TV Tuner soldered...

Now lets solder together a switch box...

Resistors for Aux In cable and "mono sound"... somewhere along the line also added the capicitors, no pictures but you get the idea. Just remeber to put them on the correct side of the resistor, I made that mistake having already been warned...

All the negative wires connected... I added 6 more wires connected to the RCA inputs... no pics of all wires connected though

And the final switch box all assembled... notice the green BMW aux connector....

Close up of the connector...

And test that it was working. The aux option now shows up in my "mode" cycle...

Here's the air vent removed and the switch connected to aux input on head unit to test it works correctly.

I then removed the centre console to route the switch box under the euro tray...

The aux in connector was routed to the head unit and connected. You don't need to take the screen out, there is enough room to route the cable to one side of it. The wires for the video feed were then routed to the tv tuner in the back, the wire just sits onder the rear seat, and then through the opening to the right hand side rear wall (more cables go to the trunk area through here as well).

And then inserted into the empty slots of the tv tuner tuner (see the tv tuner pin out for which slots they go to)

Here's the wires all connected to tv tuner with tv unlock cable...

I put the tuner back on and refitted the carpet, put the seats back and I then soldered together the dock connector. I only used the following pins:

2 Line Out - Common Ground (-)
3 Line Out - R (+)
4 Line Out - L (+)
8 Video Out - Composite Video

19 Firewire Power 12 VDC (+) AND/OR
20 Firewire Power 12 VDC (+)

29 FireWire Ground (-) AND/OR
30 FireWire Ground (-)

All the line out's use the same common ground on the iPod. The soldering is a little tricky since the pins are quite close together, but anyone with a decent level of soldering will be able to manage it. I tapped off the cigarette lighter wires for the power.

Here's the dock cable soldered up...

The other end of the cable was fitted with male RCA's and 2 extra wires were present to connect to 12v power. I spliced in the cigarette lighter for this.

I refitted the centre console...

And gave everything a test run. Notice there are 2 sets of RCA's connected, one from the dock connector and the other from the white cable attached to iPod.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #2
jammykam

The end result is... Videos from my iPod on screen of course!

Once I was happy it all worked, I put the tray back in. There is a slot at the back of it which the dock cable was fitted through

The iPod will only play back video's in MP4 format, which meant I had to convert all my DivX vid's to the correct format. I used Videora iPod Convertor [URL="http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/"]http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/[/URLl]. Very easy to use, quick encoding and good results. And free! Remember, it's not just music videos... any video can be converted. I converted whole movies, it takes a while and they are 700mb-1gb, but the quality with the right settings is pretty good, especially on the low def sat nav screen!

All in all, this worked very well, much better than a cassette adapter or just another aux in... the iPos would always remained charged as well, and it was always within easy reach... the aux in normally only goes to the glove box so you have little control of it when it's tucked away.

More pics can be seen in my Photobucket space
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p...0v1/?start=all

Here's a list of useful resources I used:
Make your own aux input
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=14

Complete pinout of bmw tv tuner
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bmwnav/files/

Dock Connector Pinouts
http://www.ipodlinux.org/Dock_Connector

BMW Aux Input retrofit
http://www.my330i.com/mod26.php

Centre Console Removal
http://www.pbase.com/jeffwong/centerconsole
Old 04-08-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
jammykam

The new and improved...

So this install was all well and good, but I knew there were improvements still to be made. So I bought a DLO Homedock Deluxe with the intention of ripping it apart, since it had a remote and displayed a menu on screen. Long story short, don't bother, it was rubbish. The interface didn't work too well and it didn't do menu's for the videos. The remote on it was lovely though, but it workmanship on it was very bad (there were little cracks everywhere and I had it replaced but still same problems... DLO then said thats just the way they are!!!).

Anyway enough ranting... so I eventually found out about the Valor iLink L2. Now this looked awesome... remote, full iPod menus, photo browser, plays DivX and Xvids... what, no more encoding!

Once again, it sat in my drawer for about a month until I had time to install it. And even then I just wedged it into a little corner for a the new year when I had more time... But this time, no dock cables, we need a cradle!

So out comes the euro tray again, and a small hole cut out for a dock connector. I just used a very sharp chisel.

Then do the same for the rubber matting, this is soft so just use a stanley knife. The matting pops out very easily from the tray BTW, so stick it back in and use a marker through the tray hole.

So here is the basic idea... I've since coloured the connector black using a marker pen...

I bought some parts from Ridax site so make a dock extension board... this was a b!tch to solder, it was very tricky...

So tricky in fact that I'd screwed up one of the tracks... so I just ripped open the cable that came with the iLink and glued that in directly using Araldite... I put the connector on the iPod and glued it in place since I wasn't sure what the angle required would be... the iPod now sits resting on the back of the tray for support...

So I took the whole centre console out again...

And ran the RCA's to my switch box and the power wires to fuse 7 (radio) so the power was now switched. The IR sensor that comes with the iLink is quite big. So I removed the casing and trimmed the hell out of it, and gave it a coat of black paint. I then routed it to the trim just above the nav screen. I though it was more natural to point the controller at the screen, hence the decision for its location...

Whilst the centre console was out, I needed to trim a small part of it out to allow for the extension board... although this wasn't used in the end, a smaller hole is needed for the iLink cable otherwise the tray will not go back in...

The iLink unit, which is absolutely tiny, was placed in the gear shifter area...

And then everything started to be put back together...

And here's some of the iLink in action...

Video selection screen...

DivX on screen...

It also has it's own MP3/WMA player built in... this has a cooler EQ display...

The display in iPod mode is just as it is on the iPod itself...

And here's is the IR sensor wedged above the trim. It's not noticeable when seated and has a good, wide range, i.e. I can use it from outside the car.

The menu on the iLink is awesome, it follows the same structure as what on the iPod itself, and you can even access your playlists. And building in the dock connector like I did, I can just pop out the iPod and take it with me (it usually travels with me to work so I can listen to it whilst writing code). It also means that anybody else can bring their iPod along too...

So that's it, another discrete upgrade. And totally reversible should I need to go back to stock... on a cheap skate budget I would just replace the rubber matting, since that would cover up the hole in the tray as well

A few more pics can be seen in my Photobucket space.

Feel free to ask any questions you mya have and I will try my best to answer you!

///Kam
Old 04-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #4
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Great DIY, the iLink is a really cool little unit.

A couple of items:

1. Make sure to secure the iPod as vibration form the road will place stress on the dock connector after time. Closing the eurotray lid will help.

2. An alternative location for the IR sensor is inside the AC vents, we have ours placed in there - however I like your location as well.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
Canadian330
E46///330

My Ride: E46 330
That is crazy. I want that so bad!

Canadian330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 09:35 AM   #6
dynamictype

My Ride: E 350
Send a message via Skype™ to dynamictype
Great idea and hard work.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #7
lsmkr01

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP, 89 325i
WOW that is so nice.....but a ton of work. You think it was worth it just for videos?
lsmkr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #8
jammykam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmkr01 View Post
WOW that is so nice.....but a ton of work. You think it was worth it just for videos?
The most amount of work was for the initial switch box... I was gonna install an aux in anyway, so would have had to make that since I wasn't paying £50 to the $tealer for something that would cost less than £3 to make!

Apart from this, I did it simply for the hell of it, because I thought it would be possible and it would be a bit of a challenge. And since I was going half way... The first install was so cheap to make, about £15 in total.

I have to admit, I hardly ever use it for the videos, but it's nice to know that I have the option

Initially I didn't want to lose my cd changer with one of the iPod interfaces but I do prefer the iLink interface MUCH more.

Anyway, this never would have been possible with the tit-bits of info lying around on here... so I blame you guys
Old 04-09-2007, 02:38 PM   #9
gkoutsis

My Ride: 04 330 Cabrio
Hey Kam,

I have a question for you.
I saw that your tv tuner is where my gps receiver is.

I am about to buy a tv tuner and retrofit it. However, I would like to do it the OEM way.
Can you please tell me where your gps receiver is installed?
Old 04-09-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
exoticman

My Ride: E46 M3
That looks really great! Hope the hard work paid off
exoticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
jammykam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoutsis View Post
Hey Kam,

I am about to buy a tv tuner and retrofit it. However, I would like to do it the OEM way.
I have no idea, I will take a look for you... I just posted pointing at the radio module... whoops!

Last edited by jammykam; 04-09-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: I was being an ass!
jammykam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
jlcool007

My Ride: E46 330ci Smoked Out
hey man, GREAT WRITEUP

is till can't decide between this...or the more expensive dise (hd rad.) + vsm route....which will cost me 1500 bux (which i am willing to do for "quick" removal purposes)

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=467

+

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=642

you're a baller for this writeup

***staggered style #68 330ci spt. pgk. wheels w/ PS2's***

***full set amber 2001 330ci lights***

***99-01 coupe smoked corners***

Jason Le Blanc's Facebook profile
jlcool007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcool007 View Post
hey man, GREAT WRITEUP

is till can't decide between this...or the more expensive dise (hd rad.) + vsm route....which will cost me 1500 bux (which i am willing to do for "quick" removal purposes)

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=467

+

http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=642

you're a baller for this writeup
The TV on NAV kit certainly gives the most options. If you're not worried about TV, there's always the Dietz multimedia interfaces:

Dietz Video Multimedia Interface – 1250
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=336

iLink-L2 Multimedia Interface for iPod
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=264

This will allow the system to display videos from your iPod, as well as music and slideshows. What’s really great about the device is that it will allow you to play the following formats:

• AVI
• MPEG
• DivX
• DVD *.vob files

Whichever way you go, we've got you covered.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:39 AM   #14
jammykam

Quote:
Hey Kam,

I had a look and couldn't see the gps receiver in the boot area of the car

Anybody else have any other suggestions as to where it might be located on a cabrio?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 AM   #15
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Hey Kam,

That's not a GPS receiver; it looks like some type of TCU (Telephone Control Unit).

If your Cabrio is a MY2003 that means that at least a CD Nav computer is installed, thus there is no separate GPS receiver. The GPS receiver is built into the Nav computer. There is an OEM TV Tuner installation kit specifically for use in conjunction with a Telephone installation in a Cabrio: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...20&hg=65&fg=95
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:06 AM   #16
jammykam

Ah ha, that would explain it! Mine is MY2002 but I have a DVD based mk4 unit... so assume it is has built in receiver too.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:50 AM   #17
HALAWA

My Ride: 04 325Ci
Send a message via Skype™ to HALAWA
Hey jammykam,

Nice work man!

I was wondering..Im in a similar situation to you in that i have a stock tv tuner in the bood outputing a tv signal to the mk4 screen. I recently bought the tv in motion module from tom@eas and also the ilink for my video ipod.

Ive also got a working aux in for the head unit which is no longer being used..

So my question is..do you know of any way around the whole mono audio dilemma? ie. is there any way i can get a stereo signal out of the ipod /ilink and into the cars speakers, rather than using the mono input of the tv tuner..

I saw what you wrote about the tvinmotion harness that you bought that has the option to revert to the last used audio, but i don't think this works with the EAS harness that i bought.. I didnt realise that i would have this problem when i bought all the gear...

Any ideas?

thanks
HALAWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:01 AM   #18
jammykam

Not that I know of I'm afraid... I kinda got lucky with my cable in that it had it, and then I went down the iPod route so it was already there. The mono sound sounds poo... atleast the way I've done it (bridging the stereo with a resistor.. maybe not the best way)

Tom@EAS may have other suggestions (or a cable with that capability available)...
Old 05-06-2007, 02:22 PM   #19
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALAWA View Post
Hey jammykam,

Nice work man!

I was wondering..Im in a similar situation to you in that i have a stock tv tuner in the bood outputing a tv signal to the mk4 screen. I recently bought the tv in motion module from tom@eas and also the ilink for my video ipod.

Ive also got a working aux in for the head unit which is no longer being used..

So my question is..do you know of any way around the whole mono audio dilemma? ie. is there any way i can get a stereo signal out of the ipod /ilink and into the cars speakers, rather than using the mono input of the tv tuner..

I saw what you wrote about the tvinmotion harness that you bought that has the option to revert to the last used audio, but i don't think this works with the EAS harness that i bought.. I didnt realise that i would have this problem when i bought all the gear...

Any ideas?

thanks
OEM TV tuner is MONO, however some use AUX in order to get a Stereo signal.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #20
jammykam

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
OEM TV tuner is MONO, however some use AUX in order to get a Stereo signal.
Doesn't look like EAS have the smae lead. Try http://www.tvonnav.com/bmwmodule.html or http://www.tvfree-modules.com/produc...-x3-x5-z4.html unless someone else has ideas. These are the only 2 I know of.

///Kam