E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions
New members check-in, introduce yourselves, and post a picture of your BMW here!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
comova

My Ride: Silver 325Cic
My 325Cic: Falling in love all over again

I've owed her since she was 5... 5 miles old, right off the boat from Germany. And until very recently have taken her for granted. I just did my first DIY Job and it's like I'm in love again.

2001 Convertible 325 with 90k on the odometer.

My thermostat housing cracked 43 miles away from home, so after a $120 tow back to the old homestead I found this forum (and a couple of others) and decided it was about time I got my hands a little dirty.

My next DIY is a modified Service II. I'm flushing the radiator (since I failed to do so when I replaced the Thermostat) replacing the Oil level sensor (to get rid of that annoying yellow light that comes up when I first start my car each morning, followed by the mandatory oil change (since I have to drain it to replace side sensor) and finally changing the plugs and the air filter.

Am I missing anything?

DIY #3 is figuring why my convertible top stopped working. I had some work done at a local shop and it worked fine for about a year, then just stopped for no reason. No sounds, no hum, just a dead convertible. I checked for leaks in the trunk by pulling the lf. side panel and everything looks fine. Ideas requested.

P.s. I just ordered the Bentley Service Manual and bought the TIS from eBay. I look forward to posting pictures soon!

- Elphie
comova is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
TheModCity
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3 & C6
Send a message via AIM to TheModCity Send a message via MSN to TheModCity Send a message via Yahoo to TheModCity
TheModCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:45 AM   #3
Ervin87

My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
Welcome

Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Arrows

My Ride: 2000 323i.
Send a message via AIM to Arrows Send a message via MSN to Arrows
Welcome
Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
BiG SkiLLz

My Ride: 09 e90 328i
Send a message via ICQ to BiG SkiLLz Send a message via MSN to BiG SkiLLz Send a message via Skype™ to BiG SkiLLz
Old 05-03-2007, 07:25 AM   #6
Nandoni

My Ride: BMW 325i
Send a message via Yahoo to Nandoni
Welcome..
Old 05-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
PTinVT

My Ride: 07 328xi, 02 325Cic
Someone else here recently had a dead top and it turned out to be a dead main hydraulic pump. Perhaps worth gambling on finding a used replacement and see if that fixes it?

What happens when you press the dash button, does the LED light and what color?

Good luck, have fun here.

07 SG (Space Gray) 328xi coupe, 6-speed, premium/sport/cold/leather - daily/winter driver
02 AW 325Cic 5-speed, premium/leather, removable hardtop - summer cruiser: 18" CSL reps, JL amp/sub/door components, Reinhold remote top control
71 Buick Riviera - Land Yacht
PTinVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 PM   #8
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

My Ride: All German
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTinVT View Post
Someone else here recently had a dead top and it turned out to be a dead main hydraulic pump. Perhaps worth gambling on finding a used replacement and see if that fixes it?

What happens when you press the dash button, does the LED light and what color?

Good luck, have fun here.
that would be I .... Any questions about the top PM me and ill show you all the 411 i found..

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:19 PM   #9
comova

I posted on another thread that I found the problem. Actually another Cabrio owner had his 3rd break light go out and took it to the dealer...turns out that from 99-01 (maybe even later) the wire harness that goes to the top on the boot (trunk) through the black flexible conduit is susceptible to failing. Because the constant flexing up and down every time you open and close the boot. I pulled the rubber of and low and behold two wires were severed and several other well on the way. I called the dealer and corporate (BMW) and neither would conceed this was a manufacturer's defect. I plan on ask some of my lawyer friend's if we have a class action lawsuit on our hands. If you have this same conduit plan on it failing sometime in the future.

Here is what it looked like this morning:

"The problem with the designated driver program, it's not a desirable job, but if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house." -Jeff Foxworthy
Old 05-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #10
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comova View Post
I posted on another thread that I found the problem. Actually another Cabrio owner had his 3rd break light go out and took it to the dealer...turns out that from 99-01 (maybe even later) the wire harness that goes to the top on the boot (trunk) through the black flexible conduit is susceptible to failing. Because the constant flexing up and down every time you open and close the boot. I pulled the rubber of and low and behold two wires were severed and several other well on the way. I called the dealer and corporate (BMW) and neither would conceed this was a manufacturer's defect. I plan on ask some of my lawyer friend's if we have a class action lawsuit on our hands. If you have this same conduit plan on it failing sometime in the future.

Here is what it looked like this morning:

WOWOWOWWWWWWWW..... The guy that fixed my car told me the same thing. Two wires inside there ended up ripping and then made contact with eachother. Which caused my hydraulic pump to blow.. My harnesses got replaced too.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #11
Miko_10

My Ride: 330i 5 Spd
welcome, welcome. my oil light does that too when i first start it. let me know how it goes. I just got a 01 330i this past saturday from carmax. I have close to the same miles as yours and that's one thing that I was going to mention to them. What kind of major maintenance have you done since you've owned the car? thanx for the post.
Miko_10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #12
comova

The oil light coming on and then off (yellow) when you first start the car is (according to another thread) the oil level sensor. I just bought it and with the help of my old neighbor I am going to replace it (change the oil since it needs to drain for this procedure) replace the plugs and flush out my radiator (i replaced the thermostat a few weeks ago) it would seem everything is going bad around the same time. Next I plan to replace the main belt and all the plastic under covers including the wheel wells (I lost my external temp sensor during the last rain storms here in LA)

I guess I was lucky the I didn't sort anything out. But I called Larry Long at the department of Transportation and reported this. I want to see if BMW USA will recall the harness and replace it. Sooner or later it will need to be.

-E.

"The problem with the designated driver program, it's not a desirable job, but if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house." -Jeff Foxworthy
Old 05-04-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

Please let me know if they do anything for you.. I wanna give them a piece of my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by comova View Post
The oil light coming on and then off (yellow) when you first start the car is (according to another thread) the oil level sensor. I just bought it and with the help of my old neighbor I am going to replace it (change the oil since it needs to drain for this procedure) replace the plugs and flush out my radiator (i replaced the thermostat a few weeks ago) it would seem everything is going bad around the same time. Next I plan to replace the main belt and all the plastic under covers including the wheel wells (I lost my external temp sensor during the last rain storms here in LA)

I guess I was lucky the I didn't sort anything out. But I called Larry Long at the department of Transportation and reported this. I want to see if BMW USA will recall the harness and replace it. Sooner or later it will need to be.

-E.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:21 AM   #14
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
welcome