E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
gTkidrokin330

My Ride: Bemdub
Tranny failure due to Stereo or Lighting?

okay,

So something happened to my transmission, got the tranny failure signal and service engine soon light coming on so i took my car to rallye today.

They called me back and said that my subwoofer and amp, along with HID fogs are the reason that my tranny is failing. There is no way this can be true because ive had the system for a while and i had no problems until the other day. Is there anychance that my mods are the cause of my tranny problem?

They wont cover anything under warranty as of right now. They said i have to take all my mods out and then they will fix it. That means removing the sub, amp, wiring, hid fogs, led signals, any wiring harness's. anything electrical and then they will fix it.

i think this is bull.
gTkidrokin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
carlos330

My Ride: 2004 330I sedan
no that is one pure BS for me.
carlos330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Owtlaw333

My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
How the fcuk can those affect the tranny?! Bass so hard that it broke parts?! Sounds like a load of BS to me.

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
AzCamel
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Soon To be Boosted
BS!!! they have to prove it, but if you dont want to deal with that **** then take all your stuff out.

02 M3 SMG Vert

Dinan 3.91 / Dinan SMG Software / Dinan ECU Stage 1 / Beyern Mesh 19's / BSW Sound / EAS LED Angel Eyes / ETC..

94 Supra FOR SALE, OR TRADE FOR NSX
Precision SP63 / Tial / Apex-i / TRD / Seibon / Do-Luck / CCW / Recaro / Eibach / Top-Secret / Greddy / ETC...

AzCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #5
gTkidrokin330

they said that its messing up the computer that makes the transmission work properly. Whats gettin me mad is that they told me it will be 50 deductible and now i go to pick the car up, they made me pay 110.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
carlos330

My Ride: 2004 330I sedan
next time they'l say that the new steering wheel is causing a differential problem, or ur e46fanatic sticker is the reason ur both rear schoks are gone, or maye ur tint windows are the problem for the tranny also.
carlos330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
james2538

My Ride: Sold
Hahaha biggest load of **** ever...

Another dealer tried this awhile back with another member. It is just so they can get out of paying for it.

When it's under warranty I love how nothing is wrong with your car, but as soon as it is up, everything is.
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
It's TRUE some aftermarket stereos put out enough EMF to disrupt the trans control computer, I have had this happen before!! Customer removed stereo stuff and problem goes away, I have Evan seen it take years to show up, you can try better grounding or filtering, however what they are saying has merit. Any tranny issue the dealer must call BMW first and the first thing they ask is if it has an aftermarket stereo!

This does not mean that all stereos affect the trans however I have seen it happen!

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
Good luck man, Try a different dealer see what they say. Otherwise try disconncting the amps and see if that makes any difference, If it does then you know what the cause is. I assume the $110 was a diagnostic fee so I doubt you will get them to drop that.

Is it 5 speed or auto? I assume auto as that would have software and be directly connected to the comuputer, what problems were you having with it that caused the light?
jwm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #10
gTkidrokin330

its a steptronic and ive been hearing a metal clinkin noise under the car for a while now...and recently the car gave me the failure signal and the car wouldnt go past 2nd gear.....they told me run the car for a week with the stereo disconnected...see what happens..if it still happens they will fix it under warranty.

Im gonna cry if this is the truth because i have JL speakers and amps waiting to be installed.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
jwm5

My Ride: station wagon
I am not at all familiar with the auto's but if you are hearing metal noises, to me that indicates mechanical issues not software/computer issues. Take it to another dealer if possibly or an independent shop to get their opinions.

But no harm in running it without the amps hooked up just to eliminate that as a possibility.
jwm5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #12
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
I would just take it out untill this is resolved BMW may try to argue(remember they have better lawyers) that this caused the mech. faluire from the software getting corrupt. IMO the deaerl is doing you a favor by advising you take that stuff off and bring it back, if they told BMW they would have vioded the warrenty right then and there, then you realy would be sol.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:59 PM   #13
DBLAZE

My Ride: is Fern Green!
Send a message via AIM to DBLAZE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
It's TRUE some aftermarket stereos put out enough EMF to disrupt the trans control computer, I have had this happen before!! Customer removed stereo stuff and problem goes away, I have Evan seen it take years to show up, you can try better grounding or filtering, however what they are saying has merit. Any tranny issue the dealer must call BMW first and the first thing they ask is if it has an aftermarket stereo!

This does not mean that all stereos affect the trans however I have seen it happen!
This is 100% true for the e46's! I have heard stories on bimmerforums about guys who disconnected their aftermarket stereo's and their tranny's worked again! It is a voltage issue that is created by using some non-factory sound systems.

BMW E63 (Jet Black w/Chateau Red Interior, Sport Pkg, Cold Pkg, Nav, Logic 7)
-20" Status 931 Staggered Wheels (Black Lip)
-Continental ExtremeContact DWS XL Tires
-AC Schnitzer Pedals/Footrest
-Lumma Roof Spoiler (Painted)
-50% Smoke Window Tint
-5W Kaibird LED Angel Eyes
-Black Vinyl Corner Overlays
-K&N Air Filter
Fern Green 323ci - SOLD
DBLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM   #14
gTkidrokin330

well...this is the deal. Had my installer contact his cousin, also mine which is the head mechanic at rallye, or one of the highest and yep. Any type of aftermarket entertainment put into 3-series will/may cause tranny failure. Its some wierd signal put out involving the head unit. Changing out the headunit may or maynot solve the problem. This sucks so much because i have equipment sitting here waiting to be installed and now it may never go in.

Is there absolutely anything i can do that will allow me to have ICE and have my tranny work?

AND the wierd clinking sound, they said they didnt know what i was talkin about, they heard nothing. I went back and had the guy sit in the car wtih me, and all of a sudden he heard it. Turns out something in the front left wheel/rotor/caliper is clinking. They want another $112 diagnositc and what ever it costs to fix it since that stuff isnt covered under warranty. Any idea what this sound may be?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:30 PM   #15
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
We're sorry we can't fix your car because you didn't use an approved air freshener

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 PM   #16
ez12a

My Ride: '01 325i/'93 Integra
manual swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirsh View Post
We're sorry we can't fix your car because you didn't use an approved air freshener
its been proven to be a legitimate cause (regarding the trans/stereo). You're a little too late.

Last edited by ez12a; 05-07-2007 at 05:39 PM.
ez12a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
ianbiz

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to ianbiz
Quote:
Originally Posted by james2538 View Post
Hahaha biggest load of **** ever...

When it's under warranty I love how nothing is wrong with your car, but as soon as it is up, everything is.
Yup.

ianbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:38 PM   #18
hoppa79

My Ride: needs more cowbell
bring up the magnuson-moss act": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnussen-Moss_Act

dealer needs to prove a mod has caused the failure, otherwise they are required to service it.
hoppa79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 PM   #19
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
I've heard about the aftermarket audio thing too... but I think they might be jerking your chain when they talk about lighting things being a cause. That part would make me a little skeptical...idk

One time at the dealer they blamed my DDE's for a battery draw and I went through every scenario and proved to my dickhead service guy that it wasn't the cause. One of the techs was cracking up because the seasoned veteran service manager got pwned by a 17 year old kid.

hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #20
dirsh
Hawaii 3.0

My Ride: sanbyaku sanjuu
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez12a View Post
manual swap

its been proven to be a legitimate cause (regarding the trans/stereo). You're a little too late.
yea I read that too, but it still seems a lil far fetched to me

Quote:
Hello dirsh it appears that you have not posted on our forums in several weeks, why not take a few moments to ask a question, help provide a solution or just engage in a conversation with another member in any one of our forums?
dirsh is offline   Reply With Quote