E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #41
pierowman

My Ride: 325ci
Jl nice they are actually the exception to the advertising gemic. Jl believes in telling people how it is, they make great stuff!

What kind of sub? You probably dont know this one how is the sub wired up?

That 1000/1 is a monster, you might consider digital amps instead. Digital consume a lot less power than the analog amp you have. JL plans on releasing thier digital series this fall.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #42
randomtask976

My Ride: C5 Z06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gTkidrokin330 View Post
well right now i have a JL 1000/1 in there and have a 450/4 waiting to go in. I dont know what my max watts are, maybe 1450?

and when i first had the sub installed i had it half way up on the amp, the lights dimmed ALOT when it hit and the breaker would trip constantly. I had my installer turn the amp down to bout 1/4 until we got the cap in. It still dims a little now.
I have the same amp, and a yellow top battery , and no dimming lights
Old 05-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #43
gTkidrokin330

My Ride: Bemdub
10W7 is the sub since 12W7 was too big for the trunk...

to the guy that mentioned the battery, i would change the battery out or put a high output alternator BUT if ANYTHING happens to the car, the dealer can blame the alternator or the new battery as the fault since those two basically make everything work.
gTkidrokin330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #44
TypeRvirus

My Ride: 04|325CI|ALPINEWHITE
Send a message via AIM to TypeRvirus Send a message via Yahoo to TypeRvirus
get a cap. i ran into the same problem that you had... i'm using 1farad, try to get something bigger if you can.. but stick with a good brand..

Quote:
10W7 is the sub since 12W7 was too big for the trunk...

to the guy that mentioned the battery, i would change the battery out or put a high output alternator BUT if ANYTHING happens to the car, the dealer can blame the alternator or the new battery as the fault since those two basically make everything work.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #45
sean0507

My Ride: is where i hide my $
Get A Spare Battery Or A 1 Farat Cap , Mininum.... You Will Be Fine.. You Do Not Need The Alternator
Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #46
gTkidrokin330

so a really good cap will stop this tranny and stereo problem?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:10 AM   #47
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I really don't understand this. A line converter has high impedence inputs which step down the voltage on the head unit output. This shouldn't cause any radiated electrical interference? If properly installed, you shouldn't have to run any car audio cabling from front to rear which might induce a small amount of RF interference into other wiring.

Sounds like everything is in the trunk so I'm not sure where this interference into the K Bus is coming from?

Maybe a voltage drop from the increased current demand from the lighting and stereo may be causing the issue. But that's not what is being said.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #48
sean0507

My Ride: is where i hide my $
voltage drop is more than likely the culprit.. a cap would prob. (80% sure)stop this... the cap just holds the extra juice to draw from rather than the cars other electrical components... the best way to mount is as close to the battery as you can... which will be fine in the trunk cause our batterys are there. most people have the battery up front and they mount the cap in the trunk for show..
Old 05-09-2007, 05:50 AM   #49
325Mark

My Ride: is riding low!
Send a message via AIM to 325Mark Send a message via MSN to 325Mark
I think the most likely cause would be as JB said EMF. You could try and shield the Control unit, Ive only done a small amount of study in Radio Wave Propagation and RF Interference but It doesn't seem unreasonable that a decent EMF shield on the device could certainly reduce the chance of interference. EMF Shields come in all types of materials, sizes and shapes. No harm in experimenting.

'06 E90 325i 6MT | Full M3 Kit | H&R Euro Race | VMR V710 | Colour Kidneys

325Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #50
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by systemx View Post
I think the most likely cause would be as JB said EMF. You could try and shield the Control unit, Ive only done a small amount of study in Radio Wave Propagation and RF Interference but It doesn't seem unreasonable that a decent EMF shield on the device could certainly reduce the chance of interference. EMF Shields come in all types of materials, sizes and shapes. No harm in experimenting.
EMF from what? Everything is in the trunk. I don't think anything audio related would be able to affect anything from a couple of feet away.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 AM   #51
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
What about the head unit?

You also have to remember everything travels over a BUS network and things in the trunk are on the BUS they use a twisted pair to help insulate it from the interference. While this twisted pair does a good job it is not perfect. BMW use to uses a twisted pair plus a shield ground wire however this was to expensive and deemed unnecessary for STOCK applications. I have seen peopl who park under Power Grids have issues also.

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Last edited by jbeurotech; 05-09-2007 at 07:40 AM.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #52
DropTopKingM3
OG ///Member

My Ride: All German
Quote:
so a really good cap will stop this tranny and stereo problem?
Yes, dont be afraid to spend a little extra money on a really good cap. I got a pheonix gold cap about 3 years ago. Once i put the bigger cap in, it was fine after that. It was a great one. Digital with a volt meter on it as well. I was running 2 different ones at the same time. I was running 2 12' kicker solobaric l 5's (ol skool setup) with a 1400 watt Phenix gold amp and 2 caps.

^Don't say my car is topless, say the t!tties is out^
DropTopKingM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #53
gTkidrokin330

okay well i got a lil update here.

My installer was able to contact the actual guy who worked on my car through the head mech that he knows, bmw makes an upgraded module to get rid of that whole tranny problem but the dealer wont tell you about it or suggest it since it wasnt meant to be there in the first place. Its supposed to fix the signal issue and allow any type of high wattage ICE to be installed and everyting will work as intended. Car will be going in very soon to have all of that done.

btw are control arm bushings, fan belts covered under warranty?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #54
pierowman

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean0507 View Post
voltage drop is more than likely the culprit.. a cap would prob. (80% sure)stop this... the cap just holds the extra juice to draw from rather than the cars other electrical components... the best way to mount is as close to the battery as you can... which will be fine in the trunk cause our batterys are there. most people have the battery up front and they mount the cap in the trunk for show..
Actually this is wrong you dont want it as close to the battery you want it as close to the amp that draws the most current which is the sub amp. The further away it is the less help it is. The battery is not the one that needs the extra juice.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:07 PM   #55
bigjae1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
What about the head unit?

You also have to remember everything travels over a BUS network and things in the trunk are on the BUS they use a twisted pair to help insulate it from the interference. While this twisted pair does a good job it is not perfect. BMW use to uses a twisted pair plus a shield ground wire however this was to expensive and deemed unnecessary for STOCK applications. I have seen peopl who park under Power Grids have issues also.
Why would there be a problem if he is using the OEM head unit? I would think if anything, a preamp signal from an aftermarket head unit would radiate a lot less interference because of the voltage is much lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropTopKingM3 View Post
Yes, dont be afraid to spend a little extra money on a really good cap. I got a pheonix gold cap about 3 years ago. Once i put the bigger cap in, it was fine after that. It was a great one. Digital with a volt meter on it as well. I was running 2 different ones at the same time. I was running 2 12' kicker solobaric l 5's (ol skool setup) with a 1400 watt Phenix gold amp and 2 caps.
If you are getting serious voltage which would cause car components to malfunction, a cap won't do anything. Assuming that your charging system is good, you might get away with a hi-performance battery but you'd really need a HO alternator.

OP...keep us posted. I'm really curious to see if this updated module fixes this.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:08 PM   #56
gTkidrokin330

will do guys, hope problem is solved through this upgrade. I may not even need a 2 farat cap, maybe just a 1 after this.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:04 AM   #57
itscoo2pyopants

My Ride: E53 4.8is
Send a message via AIM to itscoo2pyopants
I have a 12w7 with a 1000/1 and when im sitting at an idle i can see my rpms go down when im bumpin, and it causes a transmission failure. makes it error and get stuck in 4th gear. i have a 01 330ci with auto, after getting a monster cap i didnt have the problem anymore.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:13 AM   #58
Timbo126

My Ride: 2004 330xi
I have my xbox 360 in my car. Just yesterday i went into the trunk of my car and turned on my power invertor and so I could run my xbox. 5 minutes later my transmission light came on and it started shiftting really hard. I got to where I was going turned off the invertor and turned off the car let it sit for awhile and then the light went off and it hasnt come on since. The xbox 360 is connected to my car for sound through the aux input. Thats not much of an aftermarket stereo but im sure this was the cause of the problem.
Timbo126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #59
gTkidrokin330

sounds like a cap will be my missin piece to this puzzle, but still waiting on rallye to get me in for this update.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #60
Timbo126

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Is there any way to solve this problem I really dont want to get rid of my xbox in my car. I have a 350watt inverter that is hooked up to the battery in the trunk. If I get a less wattage output invertor do you think this would solve the problem and not cause my tranny light to come on anymore.
Timbo126 is offline   Reply With Quote