E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 46 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #1
burj 323

My Ride: E46 323 2000 year
Steering wheel play. How I found the cure.

For those who are suffering steering wheel play and could not find the cure, I would like to share my horrendous story with you:

I first discovered a little “looseness” at the steering wheel about 3~4 months ago. The symptom is like when I steer to either right or left, the first inch the car won’t turn. I sent my car to the garage and they fixed a re-built steering rack and OEM control arms. That didn’t help a bit.

Then I visited another BMW workshop to see if they can find out what’s wrong. These geniuses test drove and checked whole day and confirmed the vane pump is to blame. Well, they are not even close. The play did not go and my USD 1000 is gone. I complained and they insisted that unless I am willing to replace with a BRAND NEW BMW steering rack, I’ll have to live with the play. That’s complete rubbish.

The third workshop I visited focused on the chassis. They blame the OEM control arms and replaced with original BMW ones. They also have the tie rod end replaced. Guess what? The play is still there, even they kept saying it has improved and it can only be better unless a new steering rack fixed. Another bull ****.

Then I went back to the first garage and complained about the “re-built” rack they fixed for me. They turned the steering wheel a few times and immediately they found the culprit—a u-joint in the steering column. I waited for 2 weeks to get the part and again, zero improvement. They garage said it (the play) is normal for E46 and asked me to get used to it. What a total nonsense.

I almost gave up until I met our workshop manager who is looking after all the construction equipment on site. I told him the sad stories of my car and he volunteered to check the car. He asked a helper to turn the steering wheel and we checked all the connections/joints looking up from the service trench. Less than one minute we found the problem, a flexible coupling connecting the lower steering column was worn. I ordered the part and have it replaced. Everything is now perfect. The solid and tight handling is back again. Total cost? 30 USD.

If you are having a similar problem of your E46, try to follow my rout, backward.
burj 323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
Danbar99
has a nice car

My Ride: 330xi
got a part number/name?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...42&hg=32&fg=30

Look at #2

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?

Last edited by Hrvat; 05-08-2007 at 03:45 PM.
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:32 PM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
you wouldn't have the old part around to show what a "worn" one looks like would you? i'm not sure i get how that coupler gets worn. does it not tighten enough?
Old 05-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
WeaponR

My Ride: 2000 328ci, 98 323is
Would you hear a little knocking noise when you would shake the steering wheel left or right really quickly about 2" each way?
WeaponR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
HMM interesting, never seen one do that but hey if that fixed it!!! Was the car in an accident?

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
iclimb513

My Ride: has 1 diff too many
Why did you pay for repairs that don't fix the problem?
Old 05-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
MysticBlau330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci '04
They worked you over good on this one.....I hope they used a lot of lubrication

glad you got it sorted out
Old 05-08-2007, 06:17 PM   #9
Jelly335

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330I
Send a message via AIM to Jelly335
well iam having a problem now with my steering and it might be that. everytime i turn right it makes a weird noise like clunking but not loud i have to turn of the radio and i hear it. i might be that. i had both control arm bushing replace dur to two mini accidents in the rain. so i hope its wat happen to u.

E46 330i retired
E92 335 current
<3 my one wheel wonder
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2269710/1
-Jeremy
Jelly335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #10
Philly 330ci

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponR View Post
Would you hear a little knocking noise when you would shake the steering wheel left or right really quickly about 2" each way?

OMG...Thats EXACTLY what I have now and I cant find the problem...I hope someone can give us some imput on that...
Philly 330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #11
abqhudson

My Ride: 05 325ci, 04 530i
Found the cure.

Now that is a valuable post. Thanks.

Jim
abqhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #12
shockin330i

My Ride: '13 AW F10 535i
Send a message via AIM to shockin330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by burj 323 View Post
For those who are suffering steering wheel play and could not find the cure, I would like to share my horrendous story with you:

I first discovered a little “looseness” at the steering wheel about 3~4 months ago. The symptom is like when I steer to either right or left, the first inch the car won’t turn. I sent my car to the garage and they fixed a re-built steering rack and OEM control arms. That didn’t help a bit.

Then I visited another BMW workshop to see if they can find out what’s wrong. These geniuses test drove and checked whole day and confirmed the vane pump is to blame. Well, they are not even close. The play did not go and my USD 1000 is gone. I complained and they insisted that unless I am willing to replace with a BRAND NEW BMW steering rack, I’ll have to live with the play. That’s complete rubbish.

The third workshop I visited focused on the chassis. They blame the OEM control arms and replaced with original BMW ones. They also have the tie rod end replaced. Guess what? The play is still there, even they kept saying it has improved and it can only be better unless a new steering rack fixed. Another bull ****.

Then I went back to the first garage and complained about the “re-built” rack they fixed for me. They turned the steering wheel a few times and immediately they found the culprit—a u-joint in the steering column. I waited for 2 weeks to get the part and again, zero improvement. They garage said it (the play) is normal for E46 and asked me to get used to it. What a total nonsense.

I almost gave up until I met our workshop manager who is looking after all the construction equipment on site. I told him the sad stories of my car and he volunteered to check the car. He asked a helper to turn the steering wheel and we checked all the connections/joints looking up from the service trench. Less than one minute we found the problem, a flexible coupling connecting the lower steering column was worn. I ordered the part and have it replaced. Everything is now perfect. The solid and tight handling is back again. Total cost? 30 USD.

If you are having a similar problem of your E46, try to follow my rout, backward.
Thank you
I noticed this too about a few months ago. It just felt odd. Any idea on how hard the install is? I wouldn't want to take it to the dealer because they'd charge me at least 200 just to look at the damn thing
2013 535i AW F10 "Lola" [retired]
2013 5.0 "alessandra" [retired]
2014 5.0 "jessica" [retired]
2011 135i JB E82 "Latoya"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nay330Ci View Post
:drool:
i'd cosign loans for that ho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Thanks dude. I knew she was a keeper when she blew me during a game of cod. I didn't do too well that game
shockin330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #13
ssm1991

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
+1 on this one for me. Anyone fixed it already? Dealer says it's the steering rack. Some say it's a loose U-joint in the pic of the lower steering column, some say it's the telescoping spline.

Posted it before: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=448081

I disappears for awhile when I unlock the telescope adjustment lever, then push on the steering wheel while re-locking the lever. I do it at least a couple times a day when it appears. But need to finally fix it one day of course.
ssm1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #14
Hrvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
Thank you
I noticed this too about a few months ago. It just felt odd. Any idea on how hard the install is? I wouldn't want to take it to the dealer because they'd charge me at least 200 just to look at the damn thing
I know excatly how to install it as I swapped the steering rack last summer.

-> You will need a helper
-> This part is accessed from left wheel well area.
-> Part #2 has two bolts. One end connects to steering column and other end to steering rack
-> The bolts are male TX50 so you will need female equivalent of TX 50, however 8mm rachet will work (just don't use open end wrench as you WILL strip the head)

1. Have helper turn the steering wheel until bolt head is pointing toward you. Use 8mm rachet or 'female TX50' to unbolt it
2. Have helper turn the steering wheel more until 2nd bolt head is pointing towards you. Again unbolt it.
3. You see part #1 in the pic? Well the far end slides in.
4. Once both bolts are out, slide that far end of part #1 into the steering column.
5. Pull of part #2 from steering rack
6. Reinstall in reverse order.

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:

Last edited by Hrvat; 05-08-2007 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:10 PM   #15
ssm1991

burj 323 and croat, you're two more reasons why everyone loves this forum!

Thanks especially for the 8mm ratchet tip. Would have been a major pain finding a T-50 female socket. Again -
Old 05-08-2007, 11:15 PM   #16
ssm1991

burj 323 and croat, you're two more reasons why everyone loves this forum!

Thanks especially for the 8mm ratchet tip. Would have been a major pain finding a T-50 female torx socket. Again -

Edited - sorry for the double-post, got a server busy error, thought it didn't go through.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #17
2005_330xi_BMW

My Ride: 330xi
Is the point of this to dampen vibration and wheel jerk from road conditions? I know a lot of hot rod guys replace these types of things ("rag joints") with solid parts, better feel for the road but less comfort.
2005_330xi_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #18
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
Quote:
I have this same problem.. I have replaced everything and the sound is still there..
Old 05-09-2007, 02:39 AM   #19
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Great info...sorry it had to be so painful.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #20
Hrvat

I wish I had seen OP's other threads before as I would have suggested that he takes a look at this. Would have saved you some serious cash.

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote: