E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-26-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
E46m52tu

My Ride: 1999 323
Idle control valve

I just finished installing my active autowerks kit and now iam getting a rough idle and if i take the car to 4000rpm or over i get a check engine light, and the car feels like it goes into limp mode. ive never had a problem with idle before today, so does anyone have an suggestions? ow and the code comes up as p1510. Thanks
E46m52tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
maxnathan

My Ride: 2004 m3 ESS VT3
When i first installed my ESS TX and TS, i got a check engine light which then dissappeared after another 100 miles. ECU adaptation? Did you get the correct AA software update?
Old 05-26-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
E46m52tu

Iam pretty sure i have the right aa software, but now iam getting a fuel trim code p0173 and p0170
Old 05-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #4
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnathan View Post
When i first installed my ESS TX and TS, i got a check engine light which then dissappeared after another 100 miles. ECU adaptation? Did you get the correct AA software update?
It is not normal to get any CEL when the kit is first started up. This only happens if you have turned on the ignition with some sensors not connected registering a fault on the missing sensors. The CEL will go out again once the DME has received proper signals for a while.
Asbjorn@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
E46m52tu

Car does not idle very rough start sounds almost like the motor is pining.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:03 AM   #6
Heilbronner

My Ride: BMW 323i
Cleaning Idle Control Valve with zero cost

I just finishing cleaning the idle Control valve myself with zero cost, and will return the new valve bought .
A few days ago the checking engine light was on in my 2000 bmw 323i, read the code P1510 (Idle Control Valve Stuck), check out the various listings in E46 Fanatics, decided to fix it myself.
First taking out the idle control valve, realize the control part inside could not be moved by crewdriver, well, I though it was really stuck, ordered a new one on line. But meanwhile sprayed some WD-40 in it. Next day while waiting for the new part to arrival, looked at the old one, suddenly realized it's control part moves when it is turned quickly in hand...I cleaned it up, put it back in and cleared the error code.
Error code never comes back again, test drived, wohl, it's fixed!!! (saved a couple hundred dollars for the dealer...)
If someone needs the steps to take out the idle control valve, I'll be happy to post.

Last edited by Heilbronner; 06-06-2007 at 07:06 AM.
Heilbronner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilbronner View Post
If someone needs the steps to take out the idle control valve, I'll be happy to post.
Do it!

I have to do this in the coming week...if you could post some tips, that would be great.

CB
ALPIN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
Heilbronner

Steps to take out Idle Control Valve

First letís look how the Idle Control Valve looks like (last picture attached):

And where it locates under the hood:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...95&hg=11&fg=40

Here are the steps to take it out:
1. Remove complete air filter housing (1st picture attached)

2. Remove housing for micro filter for interior ventilation (2nd picture attached)

3. Remove adjust unit (refer to the hyper link above).

4. Remove plastic wall between engine and brake cylinder (3rd picture attached)

5. Disconnect Idle Control Valve connector

6. Loose Idle Control Valve intake pipe

7. Pull idle Control Valve out with Bracket Idle Adjuster together

Installation is just the reverse of the steps above, be careful not let anything get into the engine. Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04459.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	230519   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04460.jpg
Views:	829
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	230520   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04463.jpg
Views:	1062
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	230521   Click image for larger version

Name:	IdleControlValve.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	230526  

Old 06-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #9
asilva

My Ride: 05' X3 3.0
I also have a 2000 323i and I was planning on chenging this soon, because I've been having cold weather start up issues, so are those the instructions for a 323, I thought I had to remove the intake mani???

Fail, Fail again, Fail Better"
asilva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 AM   #10
Heilbronner

No, you don't need to remove intake manifold.
Actually the 3rd step "Remove adjust unit" is just to make a little bit more room for the following steps.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #11
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
Had the same problem occur to me. Ended up replacing MAF sensor and Idle control valve... works perfectly since. It was a bit more work that I wanted to tackle since I dont have a garage and park on the street, I had the $tealership do it, and ran about $1200 bux for both.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:44 PM   #12
ALPIN3

My Ride: E46
^^^Wow...$1200? guess they don't call it the stealer for nothing. I bought a new MAF and ICV, and (following the instuctions above) installed both myself in about an hour last night. $300 total
ALPIN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:15 PM   #13
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Damn, so glad I found this thread. I've been having horrible issues with my cars idle. Every time I let off the gas and let the rpms dip down to what seems to be idle, they fall lower, sometimes stalling out the car as I come to a stop. I suspected it might be my ICV and have been searching the forums for a diy so i can check it out and possibly clean it. Looks like my search is over

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermachina View Post
^^^Wow...$1200? guess they don't call it the stealer for nothing. I bought a new MAF and ICV, and (following the instuctions above) installed both myself in about an hour last night. $300 total
I had big plumes of white smoke bellowing out the back, car would not idle or even stay on. They tacked on hrs for diagnostics, flatbed towing, and I supposed additional hourly charges for working with the supercharger setup. Frankly I was surprised the dealership accepted the job, since they had refused to work on it in the past. The only other independent shop in town was VAC Motorsports in south philly, but without elaborating, they have let me down as far as service goes. Given the time and space, I could have done the job way cheaper, but those were both luxuries I didnt have at the time.

The service I recieved from BMW of the Mainline however was exceptional.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC

Last edited by Vic328CSi; 06-11-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #15
bimma328

My Ride: 328ci
i cleaned mine too and cleared the codes.,,, i will try, also the rough idle may be caused by the need of software upgrade, i will keep posted
bimma328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #16
Heilbronner

Believe or not, I did it again after a little bit of one year.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #17
FastM3CT

My Ride: E46 M3
you have a pm
FastM3CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #18
alibusoul

My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
I have had this happen to me 3 times... last yr about this time it happend twice and then no more untill this morning.... it was the first cold cold morning(us texans call cold ~40 ) and it did it going about 40 so i went to autzone and got a p1510 "idle control valve stuck" error...

also my car has been running really sluggish the past 2 yrs ive had it, could this be the prob?
(i had my MAF replaced in July also)

and what should i clean the icv with?

thanks guys.. ive had to deal with the cooling system, complete control arms, new brakes, and my reverse going out in the ONLY THE PAST 2 MONTHS!!! so this coming back this morning made me want to run my car into a tree!!
alibusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:20 AM   #19
Yellowmann
Rolling on Dubs. Got Boost?

My Ride: AA SC Y2K 323i
Send a message via AIM to Yellowmann
Im going to try to clean mine to see if it helps with my rough idle too.

Once A Yellowmann, Always A Yellowmann ...One Who Is Wise - Always Learn From Other People's Mistakes ...One Who Thinks That They Can Never Be Successful - Will Never Be Successful ...First You Don't Succeed - Try, Try Again ...
Yellowmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 AM   #20
Heilbronner

I first cleaned it with "no residue cleaner" like those for electronic connectors, then sprayed some WD40 for lubrication.