E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 11:46 AM   #21
LW///M3

My Ride: 05 Sti >> E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
i don't see why it makes no sense....

To increase light output, I bought P46s with 6k xenon bulbs... then, to match my fogs, I went with 6k xenon bulbs in my fogs as well.

The resulting product gives more light output and looks damn sexy

Well, fog lamps arent driving lamps first of all, its all for appearence. Im more function over form, always have been, and only make rational moves when it comes to lighting modifications given that I work with automotive lights every day.

If you had stock xenons, you decreased your light output when you when to 6000k bulbs. The fact that you even said 6k, already meant that you were unaware of the temperature ratings and light output.

Nothing wrong with having 6000k bulbs, they sure "looks cool" to some people, but to me that looks ricey.

Im here to educate, not to flame, so I hope I dont give off the wrong impression.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #22
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by LW///M3 View Post
Well, fog lamps arent driving lamps first of all, its all for appearence. Im more function over form, always have been, and only make rational moves when it comes to lighting modifications given that I work with automotive lights every day.

If you had stock xenons, you decreased your light output when you when to 6000k bulbs. The fact that you even said 6k, already meant that you were unaware of the temperature ratings and light output.

Nothing wrong with having 6000k bulbs, they sure "looks cool" to some people, but to me that looks ricey.

Im here to educate, not to flame, so I hope I dont give off the wrong impression.
I'm only speaking of the quality HID systems that are sold like the Piccolo 1 year warranty systems and the Prolumen lifetime warranty systems with digital slim ballasts.

There are 3 main reasons for doing HID fogs and they have equal value:

1) Color matching the front of your car. Aesthetics are important to many people. Some examples are below:
6000K:

8000K:

3000K:

2) Output requirements for some dark roads are greater than on others. If you drive in a rural area, you need more usable light

Just fogs:

Lows and Fogs:

3) Longevity of regular bulbs is usually 1/10th that of HID. Halogen bulbs will usually be replaced 2-4 times per year (if the fogs are used) whereas HID bulbs are usually good for up to 5 years. Factor in replacement costs and it's not hard to guess which one is more cost effective.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #23
umnitza

to follow up, if you need any additional advice, give us a call or email us.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 PM   #24
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
thats what I said

for the most part....

you have to give me some kind of credit though for being unique

I'll be getting HIDs in August when I get back....
absolutely. Bro, i love your car and was not at your ride just at the bulbs. You definitely went out on a limb there and i give you tons of credit for it. Just, next time around, go with xenons

I still love ur sig (both the sexy car and the sexy girl)

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #25
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:

A few things...

1) as you can probably tell from my car, I am all about form over function. Body kits, big wheels, etc are never performance oriented. Plus, given my non-m status, I know that I won't be getting crazy power anytime soon and except that.

2) I am actually very educated on the lighting world. Sure I could have said 6kk but that just sounds a little stupid and would confuse more people (although 6k is actually incorrect).

Now, I respect your opinion and stance but, can't say i respect the tone you took when writing your response to me. Keep that in line in the future as upsetting others is, by no means, the point of this forum.

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
Old 05-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #26
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
absolutely. Bro, i love your car and was not at your ride just at the bulbs. You definitely went out on a limb there and i give you tons of credit for it. Just, next time around, go with xenons

I still love ur sig (both the sexy car and the sexy girl)
I know what you meant....I'm right there with you. I def should have gone with Xenon.

But it is kind of fun saying I have LED fog lights....

thanks bro.

Quote:
A few things...

1) as you can probably tell from my car, I am all about form over function. Body kits, big wheels, etc are never performance oriented. Plus, given my non-m status, I know that I won't be getting crazy power anytime soon and except that.

2) I am actually very educated on the lighting world. Sure I could have said 6kk but that just sounds a little stupid and would confuse more people (although 6k is actually incorrect).

Now, I respect your opinion and stance but, can't say i respect the tone you took when writing your response to me. Keep that in line in the future as upsetting others is, by no means, the point of this forum.
big fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #27
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
off topic... how is "6k" incorrect? I assume that would mean 6000 which would correlate to the color temperature, right ?
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #28
Carbon///M3

My Ride: e46 M3 yet again!
Send a message via AIM to Carbon///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlevi SW View Post
nothing will quite hit that color besides HIDs. We have kits from 175
JL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppa79 View Post
go HID or be disappointed.
listen to them
Old 05-30-2007, 05:35 PM   #29
LW///M3

Quote:
A few things...

No worries mate. Thats why I even agve a warning before waiting for a response, I didnt want to give off the wrong tone.

Just say 6000k, as thats the proper terminology, not confusing at all

You said you upgraded to 6000k, and I wanted to correct you by saying this was a downgrade in terms of performance aspects since your losing light output, but I believe you meant upgrade as in appearence, and that you are entitled to your own opinion.

So my question is, did you have stock xenons ?

Last edited by LW///M3; 05-30-2007 at 05:38 PM.
LW///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:37 PM   #30
LW///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstainba View Post
off topic... how is "6k" incorrect? I assume that would mean 6000 which would correlate to the color temperature, right ?
Even though some people say 6k or 8k, or 10k, its not correct. Im sure we all mean the same thing, but 6000k is the proper terminology.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #31
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

Quote:
So my question is, did you have stock xenons ?
Nope... upgraded from halogens so, both in performance and appearance, it was an upgrade for me

For those with oem xenons, i know exactly what you mean, and have seen the "downgrade" in light output first hand

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Old 05-30-2007, 06:38 PM   #32
LW///M3

Quote:
Nope... upgraded from halogens so, both in performance and appearance, it was an upgrade for me

For those with oem xenons, i know exactly what you mean, and have seen the "downgrade" in light output first hand
Im glad we are on the same page
Old 05-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #33
m3_tofast
Banned

My Ride: 04 M3 SMG Drop, C230
Can someone answer the question please ? I am not doing it for the output, but for the color to just be blue. Are these really blue or do they look white with a hint ?
m3_tofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #34
umnitza

M3tofast your question was answered by our post.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:38 PM   #35
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
M3tofast your question was answered by our post.
yeah, I answered you a while ago.

yes they will be blue

dont do it

they're illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:50 AM   #36
sstainba

My Ride: 02 325Ci
Quote:
Even though some people say 6k or 8k, or 10k, its not correct. Im sure we all mean the same thing, but 6000k is the proper terminology.
Well, technically "6000k" is also incorrect since the symbol for kelvin is a capital 'K'. I figured that was understood though when talking about color temperature. So in my head the 'k' in "6k" stood for the 1000 multiplier (ie. 6000) and the 'K' or "Kelvin" was just understood to be there. :-D
sstainba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:53 AM   #37
LW///M3

Its all good, misunderstanding, im done whoring this thread up!
Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #38
dominicanodcora

My Ride: turbo is300 00 328ci
Just fogs:

on this pic which bulb you are using for the fogs??

DONE
M6 rep 19" wheels/ K&N intake filter/ 6000k HID conversion/ 12" alfasonik/1400w crunch/ clear corners and sidemarkers/ Debadged
Working
Custom quad exhaust.
Led tailights
Angel eyes
6000k HID foglight conversion
Drilled and slotted rotors
Driver side colored key cover hole
M3 side mirrors
dominicanodcora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:31 PM   #39
umnitza

Old 06-11-2007, 03:06 PM   #40
jmueller

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I love my HID fogs.. i bought HID "like" bulbs from modbargins at first, then said nah.. i really want the full on look.. and every time i pull up to get gas at night with them on.. i always get a compliment on them def worth the money!! and saftey!