E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-30-2007, 11:20 AM   #1
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
ESS TS startup woes

Since there seemed to be a lot of people chiming in about ESS startup problems on that other guy's install thread , I thought i would make a thread for that topic so his thread would not be further hijacked!

Yeah, I am having some small stumbling/ rough idle for a few seconds when cold starting, much like SpartanWarrior is reporting. There is also a little surging for a minute or so. I was very careful with all the vaccum hoses and intake, so I will recheck the bolts and thread lock on the TB to make sure I do not have any leaks.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
gwatson

My Ride: BMW Z4 3.0
I had this problem, but the latest\improved manifold gasket has resolved the issue...... idle is now rock solid.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
Since there seemed to be a lot of people chiming in about ESS startup problems on that other guy's install thread , I thought i would make a thread for that topic so his thread would not be further hijacked!

Yeah, I am having some small stumbling/ rough idle for a few seconds when cold starting, much like SpartanWarrior is reporting. There is also a little surging for a minute or so. I was very careful with all the vaccum hoses and intake, so I will recheck the bolts and thread lock on the TB to make sure I do not have any leaks.
It might just be a slight car variation from the reference design when dialing in the startup fuelling. The latest ESS TS software runs a little richer during startup and smoothes things out even if the MAF, sensors, etc is a little off from our reference design. Once the O2's fires up after a little while the current DME settings will adapt in at once, but during startup it is running straight off the software and MAF/temp input without any feedback.

Do check for leaks first as you might have a little leak somewhere, if all is sealed then you can update the ECU for free to the latest TS software that runs a bit richer on startup.

Last edited by Asbjorn@ESS; 05-30-2007 at 11:58 AM.
Asbjorn@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
maxnathan

My Ride: 2004 m3 ESS VT3
I`ve recently installed ESS cams and experienced very rough cold startups and `stuttering` of the car for the first few minutes until the engine is heated.Also the car felt very jerky at times during normal driving. We reinstalled the TS with a new gasket and more thread lock. Also checked the tubes and pipes. There was no improvement initially and the driving characteristics of the car was awful. Recently we downloaded the new ESS base program......I`m glad to say that apart from a rough startup for a few seconds there are no more driving issues

Still working with ESS on the rough cold starts.

Last edited by maxnathan; 05-30-2007 at 11:59 AM.
maxnathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnathan View Post
I`ve recently installed ESS cams and experienced very rough cold startups and `stuttering` of the car for the first few minutes until the engine is heated.Also the car felt very jerky at times during normal driving. We reinstalled the TS with a new gasket and more thread lock. Also checked the tubes and pipes. There was no improvement initially and the driving characteristics of the car was awful. Recently we downloaded the new ESS base program......I`m glad to say that apart from a rough startup for a few seconds there are no more driving issues

Still working with ESS on the rough cold starts.
The reason why the current full file update made a big difference was due to the fact that your initial TS2 software was based on your old UK spec 330 file. We had to base it on this since you initially flashed using the serial interface which does not allow for us to replace the entire software with our reference design, just the data area of the file. Your latest update was basically a full reflash to our referece design to avoid any compatability issues.

The TS2+ application is a little more sensitive to initial 100% smooth running due to the considerably more aggressive cams. We are working on a new TS2+ software revision with slighty altered cam timing during startups trying to make it just as smooth as a stock cammed 330 for the first few seconds as well.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #6
Dirtboy
Grüne Hölle Junkie

My Ride: ESS TS2+ 330Ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Dirtboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn@ESS View Post
The TS2+ application is a little more sensitive to initial 100% smooth running due to the considerably more aggressive cams. We are working on a new TS2+ software revision with slighty altered cam timing during startups trying to make it just as smooth as a stock cammed 330 for the first few seconds as well.

Will we be able to get this new software?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #7
maxnathan

My Ride: 2004 m3 ESS VT3
Quote:
The reason why the current full file update made a big difference was due to the fact that your initial TS2 software was based on your old UK spec 330 file. We had to base it on this since you initially flashed using the serial interface which does not allow for us to replace the entire software with our reference design, just the data area of the file. Your latest update was basically a full reflash to our referece design to avoid any compatability issues.

Thanks for your help so far AJ. Although the cold starts are a little annoying , i can live with it since the car feels so fast now.....
Old 05-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #8
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Will we be able to get this new software?
Absolutely.

If you have an initial cold startup that you are not satisifed with and you have verified that you have no leaks and a properly working MAF, then the revised software with "smooth start" tuning is the way to go. Most TS1/TS2 and TS2+ cars starts up perfectly even with our emissions friendly lean start tune (designed to meet CARB), but on those cars where the parameters of the engine might be a little off, the updated richer start up baseline software will do the trick. The TS2+ update will with the help of revised cam timing help smooth out cold starts on TS2+ cars that are not 100% smooth for the first few seconds.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

For existing TS customers we even have an exchange DME program used for updating softwares whenever a updated revision is available. We simply send out a preprogrammed DME matched to your car and you return your old one back as a core exchange. This service is free, we only ask you to cover the ECU freight which is inexpensive as there is no need for express shipping anymore as there is no DME programming downtime.

You will however have to pay a deposit for the new DME which will be refunded once the core ECU has arrived back at ESS.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #10
Lemonsqr

Quote:
It might just be a slight car variation from the reference design when dialing in the startup fuelling. The latest ESS TS software runs a little richer during startup and smoothes things out even if the MAF, sensors, etc is a little off from our reference design. Once the O2's fires up after a little while the current DME settings will adapt in at once, but during startup it is running straight off the software and MAF/temp input without any feedback.

Do check for leaks first as you might have a little leak somewhere, if all is sealed then you can update the ECU for free to the latest TS software that runs a bit richer on startup.
I will def check for leaks. Thanks for the customer support. When did you start flashing with this new software? Mine was done about a month ago and I am wondering if I already have the new software..
Old 05-30-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
I will def check for leaks. Thanks for the customer support. When did you start flashing with this new software? Mine was done about a month ago and I am wondering if I already have the new software..
No, you have the CARB standard software revision. Please email me directly with your current address and setup and I will mail you out a updated DME.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #12
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

double post

Last edited by Asbjorn@ESS; 05-30-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:45 PM   #13
Maestroxl

My Ride: 330CI
Send a message via MSN to Maestroxl
@ asbjorn,

Will I be able to upload this update myself since I allready got a cable to do so.
If so can you mail me the file?
I still got the cartune software I got from you. THNX

MXL
Maestroxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #14
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestroxl View Post
@ asbjorn,

Will I be able to upload this update myself since I allready got a cable to do so.
If so can you mail me the file?
I still got the cartune software I got from you. THNX

MXL
Sure, just do a readout an email me the file.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #15
Lemonsqr

Quote:
No, you have the CARB standard software revision. Please email me directly with your current address and setup and I will mail you out a updated DME.
Thanks,
I will email you. Most likely I will just opt to send you my DME for reflash.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #16
Maestroxl

My Ride: 330CI
Send a message via MSN to Maestroxl
THNX, mail send.

MXL
Maestroxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:03 PM   #17
spartanwarrior

My Ride: 2001 E46 330i
Quote:

Asbjorn i have the TS2 and you guy's programed it for the TS2+ so i wouldn't have to send in the ecu again when i am ready to install the cams, my ecu was programed in March, do you think maybe that's why I'm having a little stumbling for a few sec on cold starts then everything is perfect, that is the only issue with my car no big deal, my mechanic checked for leaks but he didn't check the manifold he told me he cleaned it good and it is not leaking from there.
UUC light flywheel with stage 3 clucth, UUC sway bars, UUC strut tower brace, UUC TSE3 exaust with headers and two americats converters, UUC EVO3 shift kit plus RK shadow knob and e-brake handle, UUC gauge panel, BMW aluminum pedal kit,Bilstein shocks with H&R lowering springs, chrome speedo/gauge rings, 3,46 Lsd, ESS 8psi TS.
spartanwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:44 AM   #18
kosaka yuuta

My Ride: BMW Z4 3.0i SMG
Quote:
except cold start , TS kit works very good.
if it exist leaks somewhere, after engine is warm, I think idle is not stabel.
it may be difficult to check leaks when cold start .

My ECU sent from ESS Norway is April 23th.
I want to know when the latest ESS TS software version change?
kosaka yuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #19
spartanwarrior

My Ride: 2001 E46 330i
Ok just wanted to post a couple of vids, the first one was done in April when the weather here was still kind of cold it didn't usually start like that but i hadn't started the car in 3-4 day's but if you look at the rpm needle bounce vibrate for a few sec then everything is smooth and normal. The second video was done today since the weather here is really hot now i ride my Motorcycle, so i hadn't started my car like in a week and a half but what gets me is today it started normal this is why maybe it's the program i don't know, any opinions. ,,, and this one is today sorry about the sound quality shot with cell phone,
UUC light flywheel with stage 3 clucth, UUC sway bars, UUC strut tower brace, UUC TSE3 exaust with headers and two americats converters, UUC EVO3 shift kit plus RK shadow knob and e-brake handle, UUC gauge panel, BMW aluminum pedal kit,Bilstein shocks with H&R lowering springs, chrome speedo/gauge rings, 3,46 Lsd, ESS 8psi TS.
spartanwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:50 PM   #20
EIAlfonso

My Ride: 2011 535xi M Sport
My start up is very similar, pretty warm here right now so it hesitates very little, for a sec or two and then, smooth. This only happens when the car is very cold usually when I pull my car out of the garage in the morning, then it stats up very smooth the rest of the day.

Does not having the stock headers increase this occurrence? Does the back pressure of the stock headers improve the start up performance or maybe the stock cats heat up the 02 sensors quicker?

Spartan on you on the stock exhaust manifold?

Edit: just saw your sigs, it looks like we are both using headers.