E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-03-2007, 03:46 PM   #41
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaka yuuta View Post
Asbjorn, I have another question.
I forgot to add this question.
How do TS owners control (manage?) supercharger oil?
please show me how and when to check etc!
The oil level should be 10mm lower than the center of the SC shaft center. Normally there is no need to add/check oil on the TS unit.
Asbjorn@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #42
kosaka yuuta

My Ride: BMW Z4 3.0i SMG
Quote:
The oil level should be 10mm lower than the center of the SC shaft center. Normally there is no need to add/check oil on the TS unit.
Thanks Asbjorn!
kosaka yuuta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 11:52 AM   #43
spartanwarrior

My Ride: 2001 E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn@ESS View Post
Spartan,

You are welcome to send in your ECU for the richer startup version if you want. Just remember to mark total shipment value less than USD20 if you ship the DME to our Norway office.
Since i have the 8psi, and you programmed it for TS2+ 8.5psi, isn't it already running richer, or is what your talking about something else.
UUC light flywheel with stage 3 clucth, UUC sway bars, UUC strut tower brace, UUC TSE3 exaust with headers and two americats converters, UUC EVO3 shift kit plus RK shadow knob and e-brake handle, UUC gauge panel, BMW aluminum pedal kit,Bilstein shocks with H&R lowering springs, chrome speedo/gauge rings, 3,46 Lsd, ESS 8psi TS.
spartanwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 04:16 PM   #44
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanwarrior View Post
Since i have the 8psi, and you programmed it for TS2+ 8.5psi, isn't it already running richer, or is what your talking about something else.
Yes, at WOT, but not during startup. Some cars require us to dial in the mixture a little bit richer during startup than emissions ideal in order for it to run 100% smooth the first seconds of operation. On newer MS45 cars you can even feel that a stock car is a little "jumpy" when cold since it is running quite lean to reduce emissions and heat cats quickly.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:20 PM   #45
KOTHB

My Ride: 03 330 ZHP
Am I the only one having problems with warm starts? If the engine is warm, and I shut it off, say to drop my kids off at camp, and I try to restart within 30 seconds or so, the car won't start. It seems as if I'm not getting fuel.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #46
spartanwarrior

Quote:
Yes, at WOT, but not during startup. Some cars require us to dial in the mixture a little bit richer during startup than emissions ideal in order for it to run 100% smooth the first seconds of operation. On newer MS45 cars you can even feel that a stock car is a little "jumpy" when cold since it is running quite lean to reduce emissions and heat cats quickly.
Ok thanks i will send it in sometime soon,, so my car is MS43, so then if you program it richer for cold starts it will get rid of those hick-up starts.
UUC light flywheel with stage 3 clucth, UUC sway bars, UUC strut tower brace, UUC TSE3 exaust with headers and two americats converters, UUC EVO3 shift kit plus RK shadow knob and e-brake handle, UUC gauge panel, BMW aluminum pedal kit,Bilstein shocks with H&R lowering springs, chrome speedo/gauge rings, 3,46 Lsd, ESS 8psi TS.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #47
Minnoe07

My Ride: 2004 BMW 330Ci
Well, since it has warmed up, I have had very few problems with the cold start. The idles creeps up around 1200 rpms during warm up but besides that, there is almost 0 stuttering.

I still want to get my DME exchanged for the new software as well.

Asbjorn, I sent you an e-mail a week ago and haven't gotten a reply yet.

2004 330Ci 6 Speed; UUC Sway Bars; Powerflex RTAB's and FCAB's; KW V2 Coilovers; 3.38 OS Giken LSD
Z4 Finned Diff Cover; Headers; M-Tech II Rear Bumper and CF Diffusor; CF Trunk; CSL Front Bumper
M3 CF Hood; DICE I-Pod Kit; JTD Rear Shock Mounts; UUC Front Strut Bar; O2 Simulators
ESS TS2 Twin Screw Supercharger

Minnoe07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #48
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTHB View Post
Am I the only one having problems with warm starts? If the engine is warm, and I shut it off, say to drop my kids off at camp, and I try to restart within 30 seconds or so, the car won't start. It seems as if I'm not getting fuel.
This is not normal at all and I have in fact never heard of this before. Do check your fault codes, fuel pressure after stopping the car and also idle vacuum and report back to me. You can also send in the DME for analyzing to see if we can spot the problem. At the same time we can also update the DME with the latest programming.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #49
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnoe07 View Post
Well, since it has warmed up, I have had very few problems with the cold start. The idles creeps up around 1200 rpms during warm up but besides that, there is almost 0 stuttering.

I still want to get my DME exchanged for the new software as well.

Asbjorn, I sent you an e-mail a week ago and haven't gotten a reply yet.
I have not received any emails from you, you are welcome to ship in your DME for a free update whenever you want. Just mark your name and order number on the DME shipment.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:02 AM   #50
njoni007

My Ride: 330Ci ESS TS2
I have this 3 sec stumbling too. It does it when the engine is cold (sitting for at least 6 hours or so).

I have replaced the fuel filter (FPR comes with it on 330)
I have replaced spark plugs to Bosch Super 4

No change in cold start...replacing the filter just made my car quicker that is all as it was filled with black stuff lol

My guess is that the fuel pressure is falling too low...the fuel is leaking somewhere...or the fuel pump is just not hardworking enough for these higher flow injectors.
njoni007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:23 AM   #51
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Mine starts at 1100rpm in very cold and after ~half minute drops to ~700rpm. super smooth idle, better than before imho. I haven't experienced any rough idle since the installation 12000km ago.

Have you checked the idle valve?
Old 04-02-2008, 04:50 AM   #52
njoni007

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Mine starts at 1100rpm in very cold and after ~half minute drops to ~700rpm. super smooth idle, better than before imho. I haven't experienced any rough idle since the installation 12000km ago.

Have you checked the idle valve?
I have, and it idles fine just that for the first 3 seconds of cold start it hesitates to go up to warm-up RPMs. But, it never stalls even at -38 C that we get here in Canada

Last edited by njoni007; 04-02-2008 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:07 AM   #53
njoni007

I can confirm that my fuel pressure after 5-6 hours it drops to zero PSI. When this happens the car hesitates to start...even though I let the key in ignition to build up pressure as indicates in the Fuel pressure gauge that I kept it mounted on the fuel railing. I seem to think that after the fuel pressure is lost air is getting in the injector and then the car hesitates to start until the injector or the railing is filled up with fuel upon the injector being triggered to open when cranked up.

In other words, either injectors are not good, or the fuel railing is not tight enough against the injectors at the top fuel feed.

I will see if I can find a way to detect the leak (if it is the side against the railing as the side against manifold should only trigger a too lean code).

But, I had it torqued right when I installed the injectors and I lubricated the rings to slide completely in.

Last edited by njoni007; 04-03-2008 at 01:46 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:26 AM   #54
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

It is most likely the fuel supply components (pump/regulator-filter assembly).

Try the regulator-filter assembly first as this is cheap and nice maintenance to do anyway.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #55
spartanwarrior

Quote:
It might just be a slight car variation from the reference design when dialing in the startup fuelling. The latest ESS TS software runs a little richer during startup and smoothes things out even if the MAF, sensors, etc is a little off from our reference design. Once the O2's fires up after a little while the current DME settings will adapt in at once, but during startup it is running straight off the software and MAF/temp input without any feedback.

Do check for leaks first as you might have a little leak somewhere, if all is sealed then you can update the ECU for free to the latest TS software that runs a bit richer on startup.
Well Asbjorn, the latest ESS TS software didn't make mine any better, has anything been sent to me Asbjorn like we discussed in our e-mails? also to all that have this problem is it like mine you see in this video?
Old 04-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #56
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
Most of the time my starts are like that, although the stumbling is slightly less than on your video....but yeah, its about the same.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #57
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Same here although it's not consistent. Sometimes it starts up like in the video, sometimes is starts right up and then stumbles, and sometimes it almost starts and idles perfect (although if I touch the gas before it warms up good it will still choke).

I have a new fuel pump and filter/regulator. Fuel pressure and manifold vacuum look good. Fuel pressure was dropping off faster than the spec in my Bentley which was what led me to replace the pump - now it holds pressure much better.

My car also has a slight hesitation on abrupt throttle tip in, especially below 3k rpm. Don't know if you guys also experience that or not.

At this point I'm considering that my vanos may have failed. I have a vanos unit on order but it may be a few weeks before I receive it and get it installed. I'll give an update as soon as I know if this makes any difference or not.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #58
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
mine starts fine...the pulley skreaches...and revs a little high,..then settles right down...no real issues

but yea, i cannot get in it and go after it sits (usually days or weeks between drives) or it will hesitate and stumble...
Old 04-03-2008, 09:12 AM   #59
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Spartanwarrior :

Yes, I will send you the ECU with the cat detection switched off along with 6 new injectors.

TxZHP04:

Please send in your DME for the earlier MS45 ZHP TS2+ software version without MPG correction as this is more stable.

Stuart:

Did you ever get the updated idler pulley bracket/pulleys and the new TS drive pulley? This should remove any noise from the belt drive.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 AM   #60
330i ZHP

My Ride: have 5 doors and FI
Send a message via AIM to 330i ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to 330i ZHP
I never heard anything from Hans - can you have him through the updated stuff in with my latest shipment?