E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #61
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Anything Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
I never heard anything from Hans - can you have him through the updated stuff in with my latest shipment?
Sure thing..
Asbjorn@ESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #62
bernstem

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Same here although it's not consistent. Sometimes it starts up like in the video, sometimes is starts right up and then stumbles, and sometimes it almost starts and idles perfect (although if I touch the gas before it warms up good it will still choke).

I have a new fuel pump and filter/regulator. Fuel pressure and manifold vacuum look good. Fuel pressure was dropping off faster than the spec in my Bentley which was what led me to replace the pump - now it holds pressure much better.

My car also has a slight hesitation on abrupt throttle tip in, especially below 3k rpm. Don't know if you guys also experience that or not.

At this point I'm considering that my vanos may have failed. I have a vanos unit on order but it may be a few weeks before I receive it and get it installed. I'll give an update as soon as I know if this makes any difference or not.
You should consider upgrading your VANOS seals if you are replacing your VANOS since there is pretty much no labor to the replacement. It may not be the source of your problem, but many people believe the stock seals fail are guaranteed to fail.

Let us know if replacing the VANOS makes a difference. Might be very interesting if it does. Personally, I think replacing my seals made a difference in my car with on throttle hesitation, especially below 3k RPM.

mike
Old 04-03-2008, 12:28 PM   #63
Maestroxl

My Ride: 330CI
Send a message via MSN to Maestroxl
I replaced my vanos seals 2 weeks ago, along with my cams, headers, ignitioncoils, sparkplugs and cats.
I got the rough startup.
Before the cam install I had no issues.
Also my mechanic changed the oil back from 0w40 to 5W30.
The 0W40 cured the rough startup the first time(a year ago).
I still got the 8psi pulley and software. Waiting for my 8.5psi pulley. See if that changes anything.
Maestroxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:03 PM   #64
njoni007

My Ride: 330Ci ESS TS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn@ESS View Post
It is most likely the fuel supply components (pump/regulator-filter assembly).

Try the regulator-filter assembly first as this is cheap and nice maintenance to do anyway.
I have replaced the Fuel filter. The only thing is left is the fuel pump and I hardly believe that is the case since it worked just fine before the TS2.

I will see today if in my brother's 325 BMW (stock) the PSI drops to zero like it does to mine after 6 hours.
njoni007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #65
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernstem View Post
You should consider upgrading your VANOS seals if you are replacing your VANOS since there is pretty much no labor to the replacement. It may not be the source of your problem, but many people believe the stock seals fail are guaranteed to fail.

Let us know if replacing the VANOS makes a difference. Might be very interesting if it does. Personally, I think replacing my seals made a difference in my car with on throttle hesitation, especially below 3k RPM.

mike
Yeah, I've order a Dr. Vanos rebuilt unit which includes the Beisan seals. I had actually been planning to do this anyway so that I wouldn't have to worry about the ZHP cams (or FI cams later) causing the vanos rattle. I decided to go ahead and do this now just to see how it would affect the current tune. According to Asbjorn, I should still probably revert back to their older software.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #66
njoni007

I just attached the pressure gauge to BMW 325 (Stock) and this shows 350Kpa while running (50Kpa more than BMW 330Ci ESS TS2). Will check later about any pressure drops on BMW 325 after 5-6 hours.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:54 PM   #67
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoni007 View Post
I just attached the pressure gauge to BMW 325 (Stock) and this shows 350Kpa while running (50Kpa more than BMW 330Ci ESS TS2). Will check later about any pressure drops on BMW 325 after 5-6 hours.
That is because the ESS TS uses a vacuum/boost compensated fuel system compared to an atmosphere compensated one stock.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:04 PM   #68
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by njoni007 View Post
I have replaced the Fuel filter. The only thing is left is the fuel pump and I hardly believe that is the case since it worked just fine before the TS2.

I will see today if in my brother's 325 BMW (stock) the PSI drops to zero like it does to mine after 6 hours.
The TS is more sensitive to deviation from spec in fuel/vanos system componts during startup than oem manifold due to it's short runner manifold design. Even if your fuel back valve system is not 100%, it makes no difference after the pressure has built up and engine has ran for 1-3 seconds so it is really up to you all if it is worth chasing minor fuel/vanos startup issues down.

We do however strongly recommend replacing the fuel filter/regulator assembly and fuel pump at 50-60.000 miles to ensure optimum performance.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #69
njoni007

I should clarify that the pressure that is being measured is the Fuel Pressure (that you attach it to the fuel railing valve)
Old 05-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #70
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Yep...I have the same cold start issue as Spartan warrior has in his video...I replaced everything with my TS2 prior to install, Fuel filter/fuel reg (330), fuel pump, plugs and coils and recommend plugs. I also notice a blip when hitting the throttle hard below 3K............

The vanos fix from Besian is on the way, figured I'd rule that out....do I need to update my software too AJ?

I'll probably wait if I do need an SW update until after I get my LW flywheel and clutch installed just in case I need to bump up the idle.

Just curious, since I have Elio's kit and he had similar cold start problems, could it be the injectors?

Last edited by fmzip; 05-04-2008 at 01:17 AM.
fmzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:52 PM   #71
Asbjorn@ESS
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Yep...I have the same cold start issue as Spartan warrior has in his video...I replaced everything with my TS2 prior to install, Fuel filter/fuel reg (330), fuel pump, plugs and coils and recommend plugs. I also notice a blip when hitting the throttle hard below 3K............

The vanos fix from Besian is on the way, figured I'd rule that out....do I need to update my software too AJ?

I'll probably wait if I do need an SW update until after I get my LW flywheel and clutch installed just in case I need to bump up the idle.

Just curious, since I have Elio's kit and he had similar cold start problems, could it be the injectors?
It is very rare injectors have issues, but email me what address you want me to send out a new set for and I will do so. Check your fuel pressure and see if it falls to 0 after the car has sat for an extended period as well.

Have you tested everything for proper seal using start gas? Also check around the injector seats.

Last edited by Asbjorn@ESS; 05-05-2008 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #72
TxZHP04

Fran, on cold start, you might also try holding the key in the on position for a few seconds prior to actually starting the car. This will allow the fuel pump to run and rebuild fuel pressure if it has dropped.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:00 PM   #73
TxZHP04

Refresher and update on my cold start situation -

Plugs and fuel filter were replaced just prior to the TS install. Fuel pump replaced just after. I've also installed a Dr. Vanos unit and replaced the MAF with a low mileage used MAF that I got cheap from a junk yard. For each of these parts that I have replaced since the TS install, I have noticed a slight improvement in the cold start symptoms and hesitation on abrupt throttle tip in below 3000 rpm. With the new MAF, I can finally blip the throttle on downshifts like I could before the TS install. Cold starts are still a little rough but nowhere near as bad as they were initially after the TS install and the engine seems to get past this rough running phase more quickly now as well.

Earlier today I shipped ESS a spare DME so that I can try the older version of software that Asbjorn has been recommending I try. With all the mechanicals seemingly in good shape now, maybe this will resolve the remaining cold start issue. Given the number of us experiencing cold start problems, it will be interesting to see if this can indeed be cured or if somehow it's just inherent to the design of the kit.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 PM   #74
njoni007

Well we have to think what is effected by cold temps when started...and this is only the initial start meaning that if you start once and let it run for 15 sec and turn it off, the second start is no issue at all.

Further, since now the summer is pretty much here and the environment temperatures are above 15 C I don't have the cold start issue.

So, the temperature here is sure involved OR the air pressure (vacuum lines etc.) since it starts fine the second crank even if you shut it off imediatly (10 sec) and u try again it starts no problem.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #75
TxZHP04

For me, it's not a function of outside temperature. By cold start I mean the engine is cold, ie has been sitting overnight and has no residual heat from the day before. It doesn't seem to vary much with ambient temps.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #76
njoni007

I don't know but when the car is parked outside and the ambient temp is hot, my car starts no problem.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:51 PM   #77
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
I've tried letting the fuel system pressurize by leavin the key on for several seconds before turning it over in the morning. My issue is defintely the first start of the day......

What is the best way to check the fuel pressure? Where would I plug a gauge into, schrader valve on the fuel rail??
Old 05-05-2008, 09:25 PM   #78
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
Where would I plug a gauge into, schrader valve on the fuel rail??
Yup.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #79
njoni007

I am sure it is not a fuel pressure problem because I have ran a test...you can see my findings up on this thread unless larger injectors need more pressure.

But, it sure seems like the engine is not getting enough fuel when you do a cold start. I am planning on getting an M3 fuel pump sometimes soon and will see if this 15% more flow pressure will correct problem as it is possible the larger injectors are not getting enough pressure until ECU sends more pulse to injector and run richer...so maybe making the software run richer in cold temp will probably fix this... again these are just theoretical suggestions.

Last edited by njoni007; 05-05-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #80
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
I have cold start issues with my TS2 also. There seems to be too many people having cold start problems for this to be a coincidence.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote