E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
silvscorp

My Ride: 03 CB M3 Coupe
how to install amplified radio antenna adapter.

Got this amplified radio antenna for the after market head unit and not to sure where to connect the "power wire"? There is an extra wire coming out and where should this be connected to? 12v power? 5v? should it be a constant source?
silvscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvscorp View Post
Got this amplified radio antenna for the after market head unit and not to sure where to connect the "power wire"? There is an extra wire coming out and where should this be connected to? 12v power? 5v? should it be a constant source?
Should use a +12V switched source so there is no battery drain with the key off.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Don't need an amplified antenna adapter. Just a non-amplifier adapter + put power on the white wire @ the OEM harness. The car alreay has an OEM antenna amplifier.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #4
silvscorp

would there be any harm if I wire up the stock one and also using this amplified antenna adapter? Probably this is not necessary but I should still see a little gain right?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:52 PM   #5
ca1242

[QUOTE=silvscorp;6133063]would there be any harm if I wire up the stock one and also using this amplified antenna adapter? Probably this is not necessary but I should still see a little gain right?

Depends which type you are using. If the adaptor puts DC power on the incoming antenna wire, you could damage the car's antenna amplifier. You can try, but I personally wouldn't bother.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
silvscorp

so what if i just don't connect that power cable on the antenna adapter?

Can you verify this Tom? Btw did you get my pm regarding the CF centered radio plate?

Thanks,

Last edited by silvscorp; 06-07-2007 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #7
ca1242

Quote:
Thanks,
Then it won't work. The amplifier needs power to operate.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:14 PM   #8
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:

Can you verify this Tom? Btw did you get my pm regarding the CF centered radio plate?

Thanks,
Don't have a PM from you, can you resend?

The powered version is good for an additional +5dB, there's nothing wrong with using it. As ca1242 said in the above post, it needs to be powered if used.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:21 PM   #9
silvscorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The powered version is good for an additional +5dB, there's nothing wrong with using it. As ca1242 said in the above post, it needs to be powered if used.
According to ca1242 "Depends which type you are using. If the adaptor puts DC power on the incoming antenna wire, you could damage the car's antenna amplifier. You can try, but I personally wouldn't bother."

I guess I am just confused by both statements. As I mentioned, if I don't plug the power on the adapter, will it just act a regular (non-amplified) adapter? (since the stock antenna is already amplified like ca1242 said.)

What is the correct way to wire this up?
Old 06-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #10
tom @ eas
european auto source

Quote:
According to ca1242 "Depends which type you are using. If the adaptor puts DC power on the incoming antenna wire, you could damage the car's antenna amplifier. You can try, but I personally wouldn't bother."

I guess I am just confused by both statements. As I mentioned, if I don't plug the power on the adapter, will it just act a regular (non-amplified) adapter? (since the stock antenna is already amplified like ca1242 said.)

If you do not power the unit, it will not work. Its only one wire - hook it up to a +12V switched source verified by a multimeter.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
ca1242

Quote:
As I mentioned, if I don't plug the power on the adapter, will it just act a regular (non-amplified) adapter? (since the stock antenna is already amplified like ca1242 said.)

Depends on how the amplifier was internally designed. I couldn't tell you without opening it up and looking at the internal circuitry. What brand/model are you using?

The best thing I can recommend is experimenting. First try the OEM setup (no additional amplifiers), make sure you are using the correct antenna wire (there are two wires) and you power up the white wire in the oem radio harness with the radio turn-on wire. If you don't hook up power to the car's amplifier, you will not have a good signal, no matter what amplifier you use.

If you are not satisfied, you can then try the amplifier. If you don't hook up the adapter/amplifier to power, then why bother even plugging it up?

Hope that clears things up a bit, not trying to confuse you.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
silvscorp

ca1242, I think there is a confusion. My original question is about the amplified radio antenna adapter like this:

it's basically a converter so I can hook up the stock antenna wire to the aftermarket headunits. (motorola type plug) There are regular and amplified versions.

btw Tom, please check you PM, thanks.

Last edited by silvscorp; 06-07-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #13
ca1242

I wasn't sure whether you were using an adaptor or a separate amplifier. I am not familiar with the adaptor you are showing in the picture, never seen one like that before.

I know that some VW-type adaptors put the 12-volts in the antenna signal wire, to turn on the amplifier built-in the roof antena. This could potentially damage the BMW antenna amplifier.

Unless the adaptor is being sold specifically to work with BMW E46s cars, I would be a bit cautious and just get a regular non-amplifier adaptor.

If you already have it and want to test it, hook it up to the radio, hook up the lead to power, then check the inner conductor that goes towards the car antenna for voltage with a voltmeter. If it does have 12 volts in the center conductor, I wouldn't recommend using it.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:14 PM   #14
silvscorp

as far as I know, I think the OEM radio antenna for m3 is non-amplified. (guess safe to assume this might be true for all bmws?)
Old 10-11-2007, 10:37 PM   #15
dambro24

My Ride: 330ci
this really needs to be anwered for me , I have signal coming out of my aplied antenna , but i do not have any power running through it , does this mean that I will be ok ?.

I do get better and more reception with the regular radio (bmw stock then with my hd tuner, alot more stations , does this mean that I somhow need to turn the stock amplifier on somhw through the wire harnss or is it automatically turn on when the car is switched on?

ps, i do have the antenna adator for the vw, is this not good to use for the bmw?please elp me out , I dont want o blow my stock anntenna.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:15 AM   #16
EPBB

My Ride: E92 M3
Hi Silvscorp (And everyone else!!),

Did you ever get your question answered? I'm in the process of installing a Sirius Satellite Direct-FM connector in my 2001 E46, and I have the same situation. The road shop at circuit city provided me the same antenna adapter you show in your picture, and I'm debating whether or not to attach that white wire to a switched 12v DC connection to the radio.

I have used a voltmeter to know which wires in the back I can use to tap into to provide 12v when the key turns to the accessory position, but I'm hesitant to do it because I don't want to overload the existing antenna amplifier by connecting this antenna to a power source (Thus making this the second amplified antenna in the car).

Can anyone answer what is the best thing to do here? Thanks in advance for the help!!!
EPBB is offline   Reply With Quote