E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 11:45 AM   #1
wyu
Almost stock

My Ride: a bmw
Send a message via AIM to wyu
Aftermarket screen

I was thinking about maybe putting a aftermarket screen & nav on my car. I was trying to figure out the best place to mount this setup. The Best place I could come up with was the map storage area/ ash tray area. Just wanted to get the forums opionion on this. Do you think it will be too low and that it would be hazardous? What other places would I be able to mount a non-flip type screen in my car?

Thanks
wyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:11 PM   #2
wyu
Almost stock

*bump* nobody? not even a pitty reply? :sad:
Old 05-08-2002, 03:15 PM   #3
.Gravedgr.
Got M?

My Ride: '02 CBM M3
Send a message via AIM to .Gravedgr.
Well, I'm thinking of the same thing....but since I don't have any experience with it, I wasn't gonna post. Try to stay quiet unless I have something to say (other than "me too!" or "I agree!").

Sorry...
Old 05-08-2002, 03:24 PM   #4
David328Ci
Wohnhafter perverser Mensch

My Ride: Pimpin '99 Sentra X(
Send a message via AIM to David328Ci
The storage/ashtray area is a good place. If any of you guys remeber JB's whip that's where he put his nav screen.
David328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 03:27 PM   #5
Topaz330

My Ride: 08MGT,12CLS63 Launch
here's where i put mine
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snstv4.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	1909  
Old 05-08-2002, 03:31 PM   #6
RR BuGGz

My Ride: '10 Alp White 135i
Send a message via AIM to RR BuGGz
Personally I think that location is a bit too low to be practical. Besides I prefer a flip screen head unit like the Alpine IVA-C801 or the Pioneer 7300DVD. Or you can get a monitor on a bracket/stand and attach it in the center/top air vents.
RR BuGGz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 03:48 PM   #7
wyu
Almost stock

Quote:
Originally posted by Topaz330
here's where i put mine
You were partly my Inspiration.
So do you find it to be pretty easy to take a quick glance at it (to see the map or to see where the arrow is pointing) and not be distracted by it since you have to kinda look downwards at it? Probably my biggest concern is safety.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:51 PM   #8
wyu
Almost stock

True, the flip out units have the advantage of being higher up, which I like, But one one thing I don't really like about the flipouts are that they do not look as "clean". I haven't really considered a bracket to be attached to the top vents, since I think this would attract too much unwanted attention. (theives)

Quote:
Originally posted by RR BuGGz
Personally I think that location is a bit too low to be practical. Besides I prefer a flip screen head unit like the Alpine IVA-C801 or the Pioneer 7300DVD. Or you can get a monitor on a bracket/stand and attach it in the center/top air vents.
Old 05-08-2002, 04:14 PM   #9
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
Quote:
here's where i put mine
Where did you get the work done?
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 04:44 PM   #10
drmirage
Believe it!!!

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drmirage
Unhappy

i went to al and ed's @ auto sound @ northridge, CA the other day and they suggested to put it there in the bottom.

true, if it replaces the standard head unit, it may attract too much attention. (theft) but its high.. a lot easier to look. the best nav's i've seen were the IS300. its right on top of the dash. and its got a top panel where you can hide it.

they quoted me around $3000 for a pioneer system.

a little too much. i got my 325ci used w/o a nav. a new 325ci with nav would have costed alot too

how much did ya get yours installed for?
drmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 05:02 PM   #11
.Gravedgr.
Got M?

Quote:
here's where i put mine
That's very nice looking - I like the way the black trim follow the curves of the center panel. Do you mind letting us in on the model & prices for the unit (people have already asked about the installation costs).
Old 05-08-2002, 05:10 PM   #12
wyu
Almost stock

Yes, i've seen the is300 unit, and I like it a lot. It would probably be really expensive to get that type of setup on the bimmers.

$3000 seems a little high, but about right for a pioneer setup /nav and labor. How were they planning on mounting the monitor? fiberglass? The OEM bmw nav is aprox 1900 i think from the factory, if you want to do a retrofit (put it in a car that doesn't have it) its going to cost about 4000 in just parts!

Quote:
Originally posted by drmirage
i went to al and ed's @ auto sound @ northridge, CA the other day and they suggested to put it there in the bottom.

true, if it replaces the standard head unit, it may attract too much attention. (theft) but its high.. a lot easier to look. the best nav's i've seen were the IS300. its right on top of the dash. and its got a top panel where you can hide it.

they quoted me around $3000 for a pioneer system.

a little too much. i got my 325ci used w/o a nav. a new 325ci with nav would have costed alot too

how much did ya get yours installed for?
Old 05-08-2002, 06:52 PM   #13
Topaz330

Quote:
Originally posted by wyu

You were partly my Inspiration.
So do you find it to be pretty easy to take a quick glance at it (to see the map or to see where the arrow is pointing) and not be distracted by it since you have to kinda look downwards at it? Probably my biggest concern is safety.

you can just listen to the voice prompts, and use the map just as a reference so you don't need to look down all the time
Old 05-08-2002, 06:55 PM   #14
Topaz330

Quote:
Originally posted by .Gravedgr.

That's very nice looking - I like the way the black trim follow the curves of the center panel. Do you mind letting us in on the model & prices for the unit (people have already asked about the installation costs).

nope, the screen is the icon av-7001 7" widescreen, i got it wholesale but price ranges from 500-600 roughly. besides that, the whole trim was Fiberglassed in there and then painted to the same color as our dash panels.

all the work was done at hi-fi on rt 1 in edison
Old 05-09-2002, 04:03 AM   #15
bender
hammer talks like this

My Ride: 2006 Honda insight
Send a message via AIM to bender
alpine nav system is gonan be the easiest on the pocket book. You can get their flip out monitor for $950 retail, the nav reader for $2000 and a nice alpine mp3 changer for $300...everything you need....labor would range aroung $350 $400. you could place the Nav reader in the glove box.
bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 09:05 AM   #16
.Gravedgr.
Got M?

Thanks guys - I'll keep all of this in mind. I have a feeling that this will wait until Christmas at the very least. Later this year, I'll have the option to sell some stock to raise some $$$...potentially $10k or so depending on how our stock does, so we'll just have to wait and see.