E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
RangerX

My Ride: '03 330i / '04 Z4
Send a message via AIM to RangerX Send a message via MSN to RangerX
Predator Chromiums - Ring Install - Question

So I installed my new predator's this weekend and they look totally sick. (thanks Nick from JleviSW for the help)

I have a quick question though. The only problem I ran into was the ring install on the xenon light. When re-inserting the inlay, it kept pushing the ring back into a uneven vertical position. After playing around with them for a while, I was able to put hte inlay back in, but i had to lift up on it and force it over the ring.... which did knock it off veritcal sync a little, but not alot. After putting the light housing back together, for good sanity reasons... I checked to make sure the auto leveler was still working properly. This appears to be working fine.

My concern is the somewhat steady pressure from the inlay on the top of the ring. I'm assuming it's fine, but I was just curious. Also, I have no problem taking a dremel tool to the inlay and cutting out a section so the ring sits ok, has anyone done this yet? Is it an acceptable solution?

Thanks
RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
330ciblackout

My Ride: 02 330cic
I haad same problem, did the dremel trick on mine.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Glad I could help out

There is no need to dremel the headlight trim. It's all about positioning the ring which should be pushed back to right before the first clip.

Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
ports

My Ride: '09 Audi A4
Send a message via AIM to ports
how did you guys get the ring to stay securely in place? because i couldnt push it back beyond the first clip (i have an e46 with halogens) without breaking the clip.. so instead i put it on the first clip and slipped in a few drops of clear silicone.. so it works like glue.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

You just need to wedge it on to right before the first clip. The clip is designed to bend apart a bit and hold a friction fit to the beam.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
ports

My Ride: '09 Audi A4
Send a message via AIM to ports
i dunno.. i bought my raptor cwp kit from bimmian.. and it showed up without my heater inverters.. i still dont have them.. but the rings didnt seem that great to me.. the clips felt like they woul easily fall apart.. and one actually did as i was installing it.... the middle part of the U that forms the clip was all white like plastic that fogs up as it is fatigued.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
330ciblackout

That pics shows how it's done, about once a week i had to take the headlights apart to put the clip back on like that. If you are lucky to have smooth roads that would work fine. I got tired of this and made a groove for the clip, have not touched them since. I think the clips should be redesigned to a longer length, so they attach like they are designed to. Seems like a band-aid for the problem.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #8
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

Hmm your clip must be worn loose then because they are designed for friction fit. All of our cars are installed just like that and we have not had any rings fall off, even on daily driven and track vehicles
Old 06-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #9
330ciblackout

Not ripping on the product by any means, I love them, but they did that since I took them out of the package. I dont see it as a big deal, just some thing that comes with using aftermarket parts. Like said, they have not came loose since. They are by far my favorite mod.............
Old 06-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #10
LW///M3

My Ride: 05 Sti >> E46 M3
why not use some JB weld to hold those clips in place after they are seated correctly, it would NEVER move again