E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
Desi_2001_M3

My Ride: 2001 Bmw M3 6Spd
Question m3 covertiable led tail lights...

i have a 2001 m3 covertiable and i want to get the led tail lights put on it... what patrs do i need to order from the dealership? as much as i could find out online, you can only get them from dealeership, not from any1 outside... i went to the dealership and they said it couldn't be done...they seemed more confused than anything else...i dont have a problem installing it myself, just need to know what parts do i need to order and if someone has a DIY for it, it would be helpful...

Top = The Girl that will make me cheat on my wife
Desi_2001_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
airm45

My Ride: BMW330ci Convertible
[IMG][/IMG]

you need these part numbers (parts listed under Cab). you might also want to get your 3rd brake light changed too. Tischer BMW carries all the parts you need. You will also need to reflash your LCM if you get a bulb out warning.
airm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:40 PM   #3
airm45

you need these part numbers (parts listed under Cab). you might also want to get your 3rd brake light changed too. Tischer BMW carries all the parts you need. You will also need to reflash your LCM if you get a bulb out warning.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
Desi_2001_M3

My Ride: 2001 Bmw M3 6Spd
thank you sir...any special instructions installing them?

Top = The Girl that will make me cheat on my wife
Desi_2001_M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
If your car is dated before 09/2001 you will need a new LCM (Light control module). If it's after, you can go to the dealer and re-program your existing unit.

You also need the actual rear LED tail lights, and the wiring harness adaptor (plug on the LED tails is different than the plug on the bulb tails)

edit:
You WILL get the bulb out warning and your trafficators WILL blink very fast and you will also experience flickering on one of the tails if you don't sort the LCM; re-code or get a new one
paraklas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:37 AM   #6
airm45

after getting the parts I mentioned above, it's a pretty straight forward install.

-take off the backings of your original tailights
-unplug everythiung, unscrew everything,
-take off the old weather coverings as they will not work with the LED tailights.
-attach the new weather coverings to the LED's
-Plug the retrofit adapter cables in to the LED tailights,
-plug the other end into the car.
-put in the tailights, screw in everything
-Put the new backings on
-test everything, go get your LCM reflashed

another note (to get the ABLAS ring to work, you need to follow the instructions in the thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...96#post1569696)
Old 06-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
Jason@Tischer
Your #1 OEM BMW Part Source

My Ride: '02 Dinan 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Tischer
LED Taillight Special w/ FREE Shipping

If you need installation instructions, e-mail me at jreighard@tischer.com and I'll be happy to send you a set over. Thanks for keeping us in mind!

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Jason at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube
Jason@Tischer is offline   Reply With Quote