E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
benmuellerb

My Ride: 2001 325 CI
Diamond Key Battery Replacement

Okay, my wife had to buy a new key for her 2001 E46 for $225.00 because the remote in the original key would not charge up no matter what. After searching for all of the forums, I have found there is no real concrete answer about replacing the battery in a remote. Since I had an old one, I figured "what the hell" and I would give it a go. Here is what I found out...
You CAN replace a battery, but you must have a little patience and some special tools.
Here is what you need:
1) Small jewelers screwdriver (flathead)
2) Razor blade
3) Soldering gun
4) JB weld ($5.00)
5) New battery (Panasonic VL-2020 Lithium Coin Cell battery: $5.00)
6) Super glue ($2.00)

I could not find any place in Seattle to buy that battery, so I found a place online called Mouser Electronics (www.mouser.com), and got one for $5.00 and $5.00 shipping, so ten bucks for the battery.

Replacement Procedures:

1) Gently pry open the key by forcing the screwdriver in the rear center of the key. You will score the plastic, but the battery sits back there and you are away from the electronics for the remote. My key split open fairly easily, but the edges were rough, so I smoothed them down with the razor blade.
2) Pop out the board inside of the key, you can't miss the battery. You can see the battery has a positive and negative lead soldered to the board. Using your soldering gun, melt off the solder that is holding the leads to the board. The battery will fall off.
3) The leads on the battery I got were similar, but did not line up exactly, so I had to bend one of the leads to fit the hole pattern on the board. You can also pry off the leads on the old battery if you want, they are tacked on, but you can pop them off with the screwdriver. My soldering skills are lacking, so I used a little dab of JB weld to hold the new leads in place.
4) Put the board with the new key back into the key housing. Put a little super glue on the edges of the housing and press the two parts of the housing together until they are secured (Make sure the board and battery are installed correctly!)
5) You have to initialize the key. (This is covered a lot in the forums.) You must do both keys at the same time. I re-initialized the new key, then the old one I had just put the battery in. Both checked out, viola! Extra key now works!

So, 15 minutes later and about $20.00, I have an extra key that is fully functional. If you want to save $200 bucks and have a little time, you can make an old key remote work again, or just use your key manually. Hope this helps someone!
benmuellerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Awesome, thanks for the details!

Tim
tim330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #3
Chris C

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Thank you as well. I know it's only a matter of time before I'll use your write up.
Chris C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
benmuellerb

Just a follow up, after reading my post just wanted to clarify that when you are reinserting the battery into the board, it is still best to use the solder to connect the leads to the board, I just used the Jb weld to make sure it was secured as JB weld doesn't conduct electricity, so just remelt the solder that is still on the board to attach the leads. No biggie, just wanted to clarify...sorry.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Sal329

My Ride: 00 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to Sal329
Sounds good. I wonder why BMW just didn't make it replaceable like the older models? Guess it is better to sell a $180+ key then a $13 battery.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #6
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Thank you benmuellerb! I'll be doing this tonight as long as I can find this battery! I've been going ghetto style with manually locking and unlocking the car for the past couple weeks since the dealer said it was $200+ for the new key.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
hammer88

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Did you mean...

4) Put the board with the new battery back into the key housing. Put a little super glue on the edges of the housing and press the two parts of the housing together until they are secured (Make sure the board and battery are installed correctly!)

I got a little confused...
hammer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:01 PM   #8
benmuellerb

To Hammer 88, yes, you are correct. mine directions were a little off there. sorry about that.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
BMWh0r3

My Ride: 325CIvic
jeebus....i got a replacement remote key for 130 at sun motors bmw in carlisle/mechanicsburg pa.....you guys are really getting jacked for a new key.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
hammer88

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
no prob... i just wanted to make sure other readers didn't get thrown for a loop. on a side note, i made sure i drove with my other key to make sure i wouldn't need to invoke this cool process. hahaha. good job OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmuellerb View Post
To Hammer 88, yes, you are correct. mine directions were a little off there. sorry about that.
hammer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
silverkw

My Ride: 2000 323I
Awesome!!
silverkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #12
tko200

My Ride: 01, 325i
You are correct, i replace my battery i bought it at interstate battery, its a panasonic VL2020 rechargeable, the battery is spot welded to the connector
not soldered when you remove the connector from the battery you wont be able to spot weld it back it requires a spot welding machine very expensive
here is the alternative like the first thread said desolder the old connector with the battery, remove the old battery then solder the new connector with battery to the board, easy fix
tko200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #13
BaronOttoMatic

My Ride: 01 325i "Wolfgang"
This is totally Awesome!

LorENZO
Old 09-01-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
Silver325

My Ride: 2002 325i
This is outstanding!! I have one dead key and this is the perfect solution. By the way, can you point me to the thread for the initialization procedures for the keys? Thanks for posting this!!
Silver325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #15
coolusername

My Ride: F30 335xi
great write up
Old 09-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #16
wdgiles

My Ride: 2008 E93
Quick question - Mouser sells a horizontal and a vertical version of the battery. I'm guessing the horizontal version is the way to go, any suggestions? http://www.mouser.com/search/Refine....RefType=Header
wdgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:38 AM   #17
win-by-miles
It really was a Rocky story

My Ride: Refer to sig
is it a normal battery? or does it have to be a rechargable?
win-by-miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
wdgiles

My Ride: 2008 E93
it's a lithium, rechargable. I ordered the horizontal version. Paid for hsipping, then checked the map and figured out that the place is only about 30 minutes from where I work....oh well. Better than driving all that way for a $5 battery.
wdgiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:25 PM   #19
Travis42583

My Ride: 2002 325I
Arrow

Just replaced my battery - it works great.

A couple notes:
------------
1) My key did NOT split apart easily. Maybe the glue was old or something, but I had to work at it for like 10 minutes with a knife and a flathead to get it open. Now, the edges are really rough and the key has visible signs of being opened, but its OK because it actually works now.

2) I did purchase the horizontal version of the battery. As mentioned in prior posts, the leads did not match up to the holes on the circuit board. Unlike other posts, however, I was not able to easily bend them such that they would fit, so I had to use a piece of wire to get the lead the rest of the way to the solder pad. As a precaution, people who are unfamiliar with soldering should get help from a friend who has experience.

Other than that, the process worked great. My key can now consistently open the doors from over 20 yards away - a big improvement over the intermittent close-range behavior I had been dealing with. Thanks benmuellerb.
Travis42583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #20
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
You can get them from Digikey also:

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea...l?name=P081-ND