E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2007, 11:18 AM   #21
jason 77

My Ride: 2001 330xi 5speed
To the OP, um "cough cough" you didn't search very hard did you?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=451510
Old 09-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #22
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
One of these threads should be stickied! People are buying new keys left and right for a $5 fix......

I would have been one of them unless I saw this thread. I was under the assumption that this wasn't feasible until I stumble across this thread.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #23
CShell

My Ride: Cait
Send a message via AIM to CShell
Subscribed!!!
CShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #24
fmzip

My Ride: 2001 330cic & 530i
Just did mine.........can't initialize it for some reason and yes, the battery is installed correctly
Old 09-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #25
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
so you need 2 keys to replace the battery?

if i can get the old out and the new in before 30 seconds it wont need to be reprogammed lol

i only have 1 key and 1 valet how do i go about replacing my battery
Old 09-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #26
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
so you need 2 keys to replace the battery?

if i can get the old out and the new in before 30 seconds it wont need to be reprogammed lol

i only have 1 key and 1 valet how do i go about replacing my battery
I had the same problem but this guy solved it for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnafu View Post
Why do you need another key to reset the one you replaced the battery in? You just stick it in the ignition, turn it to the on position, remove it within 5 seconds, then hold the unlock button down and press the lock button 3 times within 10 seconds and release both buttons. The doors should lock/unlock to give you confirmation and your key should work. You do not need another key in order to do this. If it doesn't work the first time, try again, it should work.

I still haven't ordered a battery yet, on mouser.com they have two VL2020 batteries, one is HORZ and one is VERT.. anyone know which one is the right one or is it the same?
Old 10-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #27
RichieE46

My Ride: E46
I ordered the horiz battery but its off by quite a bit...the easiest way to describe it would be:

the leads form a straight line and it needs to be in a shape of a V. But it works after about 5 mins of bending, test fit, bendending...
Old 10-02-2007, 07:16 PM   #28
zikhkd

My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
so I guess the vertical battery is the correct one??
Old 10-03-2007, 10:45 PM   #29
LonestarBMW

My Ride: 330ci
I'm also planning to order a VL2020 battery fr Mouser.com. So has anyone tried the vertical type and if ithe pins are easier to align?
LonestarBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:51 AM   #30
Nabil_Leb

My Ride: 328CI 2000
Here Is the address for initializing the keys http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...not_working.3F
Nabil_Leb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #31
jafza05

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWh0r3 View Post
jeebus....i got a replacement remote key for 130 at sun motors bmw in carlisle/mechanicsburg pa.....you guys are really getting jacked for a new key.

$130 isn't getting jacked??? Lol
Old 03-13-2008, 12:56 PM   #32
summit425

My Ride: E46 AW 323Ci
do I have to use a rechargable battery or a normal battry from radio shack?

like CR2025??
summit425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #33
325ci GreekMan

My Ride: 325ci steel gray
im about to order the battery also....vertical or horizontal? or just go to radio shack?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:24 AM   #34
bmwbun
Banned

My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
Great DIY thread!

bmwbun
bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:21 PM   #35
325ci GreekMan

My Ride: 325ci steel gray
allright i freakin ordered the horizontal one cuz no one responds to which one and it seems like everyone ordered the horizontal one so hope it works!
Old 06-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #36
djarndtsfo

My Ride: BMW 2001 330i
One more way that seems to work and is even cheaper!

I too needed to replace one fob's battery and found this thread and it was very helpful. I was able to open up the key fob and unsolder the battery and was about to order the horizontal battery from Mouser or Digikey. Before I did, I researched the battery on the Panasonic battery site and found that another non-rechargeable is essentially the same size and voltage. I picked one up at my local drug store (2025 or equivalent). Now, here is the part that you may or may not want to try (see picture). After removing the battery, I used needle nose pliers to roll the welded tabs off like you do to open a can of sardines (those who remember using the included key to remove the metal strip around the can). I then smoothed them back out flat and soldered both battery contacts back on without the battery (you may actually trim off the battery contact wrinkly part if you want). This makes like a slip-in battery holder. I slipped in the battery, wrapped a rubber band around the fob and tried it. It works great! Yes, I know this is not a rechargeable, but I could not find anything on the circuit board that takes an outside electrical source that could possibly recharge the battery (I will do some more research, but I don't think it HAS to be a rechargeable type battery). The only other significant difference between the rechargeable and the 2025 lithium I used is a specification for Nominal Capacity (mAh). The rechargeable is lower at 7 as opposed to the 2025 which is 165 mAh which means it should last longer! Well I have been using mine for a total cost of less than $3 now for over 7 months and it's still going strong. Just in case though, I used a silicone sealer type adhesive that is strong but removable if I have to change the battery. The beauty is that if there is a next time, I just slip out the old battery and slip in a new $3 battery and reseal (no more soldering). The plastic holder the fob has for the battery space puts enough pressure on the slip-in cell so you don't have to use the solder variety. Hope this helps - good luck. Donald (electronics engineer) San Francisco.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP5090s.JPG
Views:	1143
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	274400  

Last edited by djarndtsfo; 06-10-2008 at 08:54 PM. Reason: clarity
djarndtsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:29 AM   #37
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
hey guys, so if i have only 1 key can i do this.
n2Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #38
justanotherokie

My Ride: 2002 330i
mAh actually refers to how much power the battery can provide over time not how long it will last. If you are not having a problem that is good. If the battery didn't overload your electronics.

That is why Nicad was used for tools. It can provide more power / torque than NiMh because it can dump its current faster with less internal resistance.
justanotherokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:34 AM   #39
ruffneck119
Don Ruffy

My Ride: 2000 323i, 1993 325i
I am going to order the battery but, are their any stores that may carry it? Fry's, Radioshack. or something? Also my key has been dead for a few months now so I was just using the keyhole to get in and that jammed and I had to get a locksmith to let me in. Long story short and $100 later I have a lame ass x5 that has to have the doors unlocked and I only have one key so I am scared of doing the DIY (I only have one key).

If I go on ebay and get one of those blanks for $50 who the heck will cut the key for me and do I have to go to the dealer to program it?
Old 05-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #40
jimss

My Ride: 2001 525i
Diamond Key Battery Replacement--BUT check first

The information in benmuellerb's write up is very good. BUT before going to the trouble of taking apart the key and removing the battery make sure that the battery is the problem! I took apart a key as described and found that the battery is good...all the non-working key needed was to be initialized again...somehow it lost its code. I reinitialized the key and it is working perfectly again...here is a write up from another website posted by Evan on how to reinitialize your key..
you DO need to reinitialize all the keys at the same time, otherwise some of them won't work!

Get in with both keys, close door, and insert one key turn the key to 2nd postition (key on engine off, two clicks) turn off key and remove. depress and hold front unlock button while pressing the lock (bmw logo button) three times and then release the unlock button. Door locks should travel up and down if it worked. Within 30 seconds, take 2nd key and depress unlock while pressing lock button three times and release unlock. Lock will again move if the key is recognised. Everytime you cycle the key the Initalization process starts over. If you only initialize one key it will kick the other key out from memory. (You can use a neighbors 2001 or newer keys to try to rule out your keys from being faulty by initializing them to your car. You must reinitialize to your neighbor's car though. If initalization doesn't work then please check all your cars fuses both glove box and right rear trunk fuse carrier by the battery.) jimss
jimss is offline   Reply With Quote