E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 05:44 AM   #1
Haftalife

My Ride: 325CI
Send a message via AIM to Haftalife
First oil change at 15,000? or earlier?

Hey Guyz.....did you wait unit 15,000 or so mile to get your oil changed or did you do it earlier. I know that Bimmer can last pretty long without an oil change but I was wondering how many of you changed oil earlier than what said on the oil change display.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-08-2002, 08:02 AM   #2
mfino
I give up.........

My Ride: 00 323i SP-P blk/blk
I changed my first oil at 1500 miles and change it about every 5k miles with Mobil 1. I would recommend it especially if you plan on keeping the car, if you're leasing it, you may feel different about the car, but at least do the first oil change early.

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
mfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:29 AM   #3
jjchen330ci

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CI
I change my oil every 7500miles. it is not that bad. I think change oil for our car is a lot easier than most of other car. mainly because the filter is on the top. don't get dirty at all

only thing that you need to watch out is that, you better get a bigger oil pan. the first time I change my oil, my normal oil pan was too small, the oil was all over the floor.

my brother and I was like what the hell???? yes, you will need 7 quart of oil to fill it up.

JJ CHEN
jjchen330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 08:37 AM   #4
BAVARIAN323i
Ballin'

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via AIM to BAVARIAN323i
I change every 3000, dont wait until 15k ..please

BAVARIAN323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:16 AM   #5
deputydog95

My Ride: Looking for a 330...
It's synthetic. You're wasting money if you do it

every 3K. There have been a bunch of posts where people have sent their oil off to be analyzed. The mobil 1 in our cars still had most of it's lubricating properties at 15K. If it makes you feel better, 7K is a good compromise. Unless you drive your car really hard, you're stuck in major traffic jams everyday, or you live in a really dirty-hot environment...don't sweat it.
deputydog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:22 AM   #6
ism409
>:P

My Ride: 2000 328i
Send a message via AIM to ism409 Send a message via Yahoo to ism409
I have changed mine twice at 7k intervals.. and about to have it done again next week..
65 bucks I think I am going to start doing it myself
Old 05-08-2002, 09:29 AM   #7
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
The Oil may have been fine....

Quote:
Originally posted by deputydog95
every 3K. There have been a bunch of posts where people have sent their oil off to be analyzed. The mobil 1 in our cars still had most of it's lubricating properties at 15K. If it makes you feel better, 7K is a good compromise. Unless you drive your car really hard, you're stuck in major traffic jams everyday, or you live in a really dirty-hot environment...don't sweat it.
But the filter was probably close to it's functionaly limit.

I don't understand why some people that are willing to spend $40k+ for a car are such tight wads when it comes to a $50 oil change.

CHANGE YOUR OIL!!! DO NOT WAIT UNTIL 15,000 MILES. ARE YOU NUTS!?

Would you want to wear the same underwear all week long?
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:31 AM   #8
deputydog95

My Ride: Looking for a 330...
Where do you have your oil changed at?

It costs $90 at my dealer. $50, are you doing it yourself?
deputydog95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:35 AM   #9
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
Even if it is $90...who cares...

Quote:
Originally posted by deputydog95
It costs $90 at my dealer. $50, are you doing it yourself?
Oil is the lifeblood of your engine...change it often.

$90 every 5000 miles is chump change compared to the long term damage you could do to your engine driving around with dirty oil and a filter that's not doing it's job.

My point is don't be cheap when it comes to maintenance...especially oil changes...or any fluids for that matter. :tongue:
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:37 AM   #10
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
For the love of all things small and fuzzy...

Do not wait 15k miles to do your 1st oil change. I changed oil at 3k miles and every 5k since then with factory synthetic.

Ed

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 09:41 AM   #11
BimmerSamster

My Ride: 04 M3
Send a message via AIM to BimmerSamster
it's not whether or not the oil maintains lubricating properties at 15,000....

Yea, yea, the synthetic oil may very well last up to 15,000 miles..
but that's not why we change oil. it's not the degradation of oil we're concerned about, it's the debris IN the engine..

When u have the sample sent to be analyzed, how much do u send...i guaranteee u don't send all 7 quarts...which is why u don't see the analysis showing u the loads debris around the engine parts..

because when u look at it, the oil filter only filters to 10 microns...and research has shown that it's particles of 5 - 6 microns that harm your engine the most...(which is why people get bypass oil filters installed, although not yet available for our cars...) do a google search for bypass oil filters or a search for purolator ONE oil filter...

it's not the oil that degrades, its the contaminents in them that we want to flush out (which is why it is recommended to change oil on a warm engine, not cold, because the debris gets circulated around... and flushed, rather than a cold engine which has the debris stuck to the areas where oil isn't circulated...)

a penny for your thoughts...

Last edited by BimmerSamster; 05-08-2002 at 09:44 AM.
BimmerSamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 11:04 AM   #12
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
Re: First oil change at 15,000? or earlier?

Quote:
Originally posted by Haftalife
Hey Guyz.....did you wait unit 15,000 or so mile to get your oil changed or did you do it earlier. I know that Bimmer can last pretty long without an oil change but I was wondering how many of you changed oil earlier than what said on the oil change display.
Fuk no! If you want that engine to last change it at every 3,000 miles. The more often the better.
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2002, 11:47 AM   #13
supersnail

My Ride: e36 on the way!!!
thank you!!! finally some people with some common sense.
why sweat $50 on such a nice expensive ride. so many problems can arise due to improper maintenance. its a good idea to get your first oil change after 1000 miles to flush out any metal shavings that will come with any new motor. after that it's up to you. personally i wouldn't go more than 3000 between oil changes. you want to save money; do it yourself, which i would recommend anyways. any idiot can change their oil.
take care of your car and it will have many fewer problems.
supersnail is offline   Reply With Quote