E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-23-2007, 04:25 PM   #1
WT330CI

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
Lightbulb E46 Convertible Automatic Top Project..

Well I have completed my project and research/confirmation from some helpful members here. I decided to do a detailed parts list and wiring digram in block form to help other along the way if they like to build my setup and add to there cars. Actually I thought I was talking to myself in this threed more than getting replies.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=476160

Disclaimer:

No one shall hold me or any other companies that they acquire these parts from, for any damage or injury to them or there vehicle if they choose to follow this documentation to build and wire in this setup on their own personal vehicle.

Okay had to get that out of the way in case someone blames me for there screw ups !! and there car burns down or something silly like that
I do look forward to seeing if my documentation is accurate so for who ever does this first please post up and let me know.
As were to get parts I say internet ordering is the best prices but local stereo shops should sell the PAC modules too. I also believe some sponsers here can probably sell you the parts too. (maybe a sponser can do group buy)

I probaly should build and sell these myself but to me were is the fun in that.. for us true DIY'ers. Plus i like to contribute to the forum and other E46 Fanatics when possible.

Let me know if there are any more questions, I tried to put as much information in the document as I could remember since I been working on this on and off a few weeks now. Good Luck if you attempt this little project on your own, let us know how it turns out.
Almost forgot to mention this was done on my 2001 330Ci
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E46_Automatic_Convertible_Top_Project_V2.pdf (921.9 KB, 9582 views)

Last edited by WT330CI; 06-23-2007 at 04:31 PM.
WT330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
WT330CI

Thumbs Up Added Video clips.....

Sorry forgot to attach the video clips of it in operation cause I should of know better.

Top opening:

Top closing:

Enjoy
Old 06-23-2007, 07:30 PM   #3
Aries932

My Ride: 2011 135i AW DCT
Send a message via AIM to Aries932
good job man looks like a really nice DIY thanks for the nice addition to the forums

To Never Ending Fun.
Aries932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:33 AM   #4
ck_gixxer

My Ride: 323 vert e39 m5/////
I am going to do mine tuesday Thank you so much I will post Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ck_gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
Arrows

My Ride: 2000 323i.
Send a message via AIM to Arrows Send a message via MSN to Arrows
Very cool mod!
Old 06-24-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
WT330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck_gixxer View Post
I am going to do mine tuesday Thank you so much I will post Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great I like to see if I made any typos or other errors in my documentaion so please let us know how it works and if the documentation was fairly easy to follow too.
Yes I think the project overall is fairly simple to do and the parts I used are all off the self easy to get the hardest part to understand at first if probably programming the TR-7 unit properly following the documentation that they supplied, so once you bench configure them I sugest a quick test since the LED on the front of them will show pulse count and when the relay active for the timed duration too. This will save you a head ache of it not working right or the timers running to long if you test them out prior.

Oh please post up the year and model# of yours car once you get it done and working, so we can try and keep a list of years that this works on for sure.
Good luck ! Oh if you run into a snag post up your questions I try and help out were I can.

Thanks

Last edited by WT330CI; 06-24-2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
jammykam

My Ride: 2003 330Ci Step Vert
Wow, awesome DIY

If I didn't already have a module to do this (which cost me over $200 ) then I would install this mod.

///Kam
Old 06-24-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
ceephus

My Ride: 04 M3 Cab
Fantastic - I was watching your other threads but didn't have anything to offer.

One question before I jump into this - any reason we couldn't make the Top Down require three pulses? So that one click = driver's door, second = passenger, third = top?

I often have to let my wife in the passenger side, and wouldn't want to accidentally put the top down when it's raining because I didn't wait long enough...
ceephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
WT330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammykam View Post
Wow, awesome DIY

If I didn't already have a module to do this (which cost me over $200 ) then I would install this mod.

///Kam
Thanks...

Yeah I know alot of other convertible owners have been looking for something like this from my reading of some old threads when I first started looking for an off the self module I could buy too. The issu was iTop stop making them and the cost was upwards of $200-$300 for a similar unit adn there to hard to get since they only sell them overseas. Guess thats what got me wanting to complete my little project and bring it to other E46 owners that were also looking for this feature to be enabled. The only think I hate is the remote range on these BMWs suck but if you do the hold it to your chin thing it does help alot. Now does any one know if there is an antena for the remote we could extent or boost, that would makle for another cool project too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceephus View Post
Fantastic - I was watching your other threads but didn't have anything to offer.

One question before I jump into this - any reason we couldn't make the Top Down require three pulses? So that one click = driver's door, second = passenger, third = top?

I often have to let my wife in the passenger side, and wouldn't want to accidentally put the top down when it's raining because I didn't wait long enough...
Hmm the issue I found ith the pulses we get from the motor wires is odd you don't actually get a true one to one ratio or I would of left both at 3 pulses probably. I orginaly wanted to get pulses to actualy emulate the remote pushes but that seems to be only avaliabe on the K-Bus of the car and would require to much work to try and decipher that code and build a module to read it properly, if someone could do this we could do alot more neat things. Guess soemone could test it out more for maybe 4 and 8 but thats alot of pulsing of the lock unlock motion to get top to go up. Also you could just go with one module and do just do the top down and extend the pulses to say 3 or 4, I think 4 would work best since you would stop with with doors unlocked.
Realy 5 seconds is not that long to wait between pulses, and heck it only takes our tops 35 seconds or less to fully open and close so even if she did do it by accident you could put it back up pretty quick before it got too wet.

Last edited by WT330CI; 06-24-2007 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:29 AM   #10
WT330CI

Post Few Questions and Answers....

Okay I have gotten a few PM's in the last few days with some question I like to post up just in case it will help answer someone elses questions too.

Will this change the way the top currently functions ie. buttons on the dash or from key lock ?
No this is just a add on that will suppliment all the old functions/features.

Can this be used in a coupe or sedan to put windows up and down with the sun roof ?
I am not 100% sure since I do not know how the function of the windows and sunroof are on thoose models but if you can put your key into the door and hold it in the lock or unlock posititons and the windows and top opens this should work but you may have to adjust the timer to allow it time to open windows and roof or just windows. This would be something worth a try wish I knew someone local that wanted to buy some parts and I would be willing to give my experience to test this out.

Can I add just one unit ?
Yes if your looking to do just top down or just top up, it would just require one unit and no relay. You could even set the trigger count differently then.

Is this similar to iTop or iWindows ?
I guess as far as how it functions yes. Techincaly I don't beleive it is 100% the same since they get there trigger source from the K-Bus and charge alot more for their units and mines free except for some time and money for parts

Well thats it for now I am sure other will have more questions in the future, feel free to post up in the here or if you want some anominity pm or email me too. The only stupid questions are the ones not asked.

I am excited to see someone else complete this mod to see how easy it was for them and what there thoughts are on the mod itself once its done. So someone get busy and get this done already..............
Old 06-26-2007, 07:21 AM   #11
gkoutsis

My Ride: 04 330 Cabrio
Ok, so my car currently does nothing when I keep the lock/unlock buttons pressed.

Do I need to visit the dealer first?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #12
WT330CI

My understanding is that some european cars and some newer models in the states to have this feature enabled but I have seen so many varying reports as to what works and what doesnt work in what countries. To see if this feature is enabled on your car (Has to be programed if not on my the dealer) since it looks like your not in the states, To test this feature its a matter of:

Just hit the unlock on the remote once to open drivers door, hit remote again to open passengers door and now hit and hold the open button the third time and wait a few seconds and your top should go down and continue as long as you hold the button down.

For top up you hit the lock button and lock button again this time hold it and it should put the top up.

Hope that helps....
Old 06-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
gkoutsis

Quote:
Just hit the unlock on the remote once to open drivers door, hit remote again to open passengers door and now hit and hold the open button the third time and wait a few seconds and your top should go down and continue as long as you hold the button down.
Hold on, when I press the unlock button on, my remote, everything unlocks. I've never seen options like seperate unlocking for driver/passenger
Old 06-26-2007, 09:10 AM   #14
WT330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoutsis View Post
Hold on, when I press the unlock button on, my remote, everything unlocks. I've never seen options like seperate unlocking for driver/passenger
Hmmm odd maybe this is a change in face lifted models... well I say then you should just try by hitting the unlock to unlock all doors then unlock again but hold it and see if top goes down. I have heard rumors that certain build dates of the later 04 and up had this feature enabled to put the top down but they don't have a feature to put top up.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:20 AM   #15
04e46conv

My Ride: 04 E46 Vert
Nice write up!!

This is a feature of the E46 and can be programed with out any modification at all.....all that is needed is a Euro spec GT1...... Check all your local BMW indy shops and see if anyone has one.....

I went to my local BMW M Performance shop and they had one and programed it in two seconds...

Now we just need a fix to get better range on the remotes!!!

2004 /// M3 Convertible

Factory: Nav | Xenon | HK Sound System
Mods: Euro Programing For Remote Top ( Up & Down )| Hard Wired V1 | Hoen Fog's | Painted Reflectors | DICE HD Tuner W/ IPOD Cable | Dinan Short Shifter
04e46conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:33 AM   #16
gkoutsis

So suppose I ask BMW to program this feature. I can only open the top but not close it?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:36 AM   #17
04e46conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkoutsis View Post
So suppose I ask BMW to program this feature. I can only open the top but not close it?
No... A US dealer can not program this at all.... you need a euro spec GT1 to program it with the euro setting.... I can go up and down from the remote....windows and top....

2004 /// M3 Convertible

Mods: Euro Programing For Remote Top ( Up & Down )| Hard Wired V1 | Hoen Fog's | Painted Reflectors | DICE HD Tuner W/ IPOD Cable | Dinan Short Shifter
Old 06-26-2007, 09:39 AM   #18
gkoutsis

Interesting............
Old 06-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #19
WT330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04e46conv View Post
No... A US dealer can not program this at all.... you need a euro spec GT1 to program it with the euro setting.... I can go up and down from the remote....windows and top....
Agreed if you can find a indy shop that has the proper tools and willing to do this, plus cost to do the programing changes too. Oh remember you have to hold the button till the top goes down or up with the factory option and with my setup you just start it and walk away
Old 06-27-2007, 08:41 AM   #20
04e46conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT330CI View Post
Agreed if you can find a indy shop that has the proper tools and willing to do this, plus cost to do the programing changes too. Oh remember you have to hold the button till the top goes down or up with the factory option and with my setup you just start it and walk away
Yeah thats a +1 for yours!!

I want better range on the remote then this would be so sick!!!

2004 /// M3 Convertible